Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Was a Man
Jul 4, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
Odd Future Singer: My First Love Was a Man
Frank Ocean marks hip-hop milestone with sexuality revelation
- Frank Ocean, member of the rap group Odd Future, revealed today that his first love was a man—making him, TMZ notes, "the first hip-hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men." Ocean, who has collaborated with Kanye West and Jay-Z, told the story in a...
RIP Beastie Boy Adam Yauch
May 4, 2012 3:11 PM CDT
RIP Beastie Boy Adam Yauch
'MCA' will be missed
- The tributes are rolling in for Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys, who died at 47 after a three-year fight with cancer.
Mary Elizabeth Williams, Salon :
For Gen-Xers, Kurt Cobain's death "represented the darkness of rock 'n' roll," but years later, Yauch's "
Nov 3, 2011 4:33 PM CDT
Georgetown Prof Teaches Jay-Z Course
Class takes sociological view of rapper's work
- He’s already a hip-hop superstar, a big-shot exec, and married to Beyonce; now, Jay-Z is also the subject of elite academic discourse. Georgetown students are flocking to a sociology course on hip-hop and Jay-Z’s rise, taught by author and radio host Michael Eric Dyson. “Sociology of Hip-Hop—...
in case you missed it
Oct 8, 2011 11:10 AM CDT
Sean Combs Ordered Tupac Murder: LA Cop
And Suge Knight had Biggie Smalls killed in revenge, says book by former LAPD detective
- Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls were murdered by the order of rival record company bosses, according to an LAPD detective who investigated Tupac's slaying in 1996. Gang informant Keffe Davis claims Sean Combs—then known as Puff Daddy—offered him $1 million to kill Tupac and Death Row records...
Found in SUV
Aug 17, 2011 1:39 AM CDT
NYC Rapper's Burned Body Found in SUV
Kampane shot before body dumped, police say
- The badly burned body of up-and-coming Brooklyn rapper Kampane has been found in an SUV abandoned on a New Jersey street. Police say the 33-year-old rapper, whose real name was Rhian Stoute, had been shot at least once. "Everybody loved him," Kampane's cousin tells the
Outkast's Big Boi
Aug 7, 2011 3:02 PM CDT
Outkast's Big Boi Busted With Ecstasy, Viagra
Border Patrol nabs rapper on cruise ship
- Outkast rapper Antwan “Big Boi” Patton was arrested while getting off a cruise ship today in Miami, after border patrol dogs caught him allegedly carrying drugs, law enforcement sources tell TMZ . He was charged with three counts of drug possession and one count of drug paraphernalia possession, all felonies....
Jun 9, 2011 2:00 PM CDT
Rapper Lupe Fiasco: Obama's the Real Terrorist
He says US foreign policy helps foster terror
- Conservatives slammed President Obama for hosting Chicago rapper Common at the White House. Now Obama is taking criticism from a different Chicago rapper. "To me, the biggest terrorist is Obama, and the United States of America,” Lupe Fiasco told CBS in an interview noted by the Huffington Post...
Dead at 62
'godfather of hip-hop'
May 28, 2011 6:55 AM CDT
Musician Gil Scott-Heron Dead at 62
'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' performer inspired hip-hop
- Gil Scott-Heron, the spoken-word artist and musician often hailed as the godfather of hip-hop and made famous by "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," has died at age 62, reports NPR. Scott-Heron was held up as a major influence by many in the hip-hop community, including Kanye West,...
Dead at 41
Mar 16, 2011 4:51 AM CDT
Rapper Nate Dogg Dead at 41
Gangsta rap legend started out with Snoop Dogg, Warren G
- West Coast gangsta rap star Nate Dogg has died at the age of 41, reports his hometown newspaper, the Long Beach
. The cause of death is not yet known, but the rapper—real name Nathaniel D. Hale—had battled health problems in recent years and suffered strokes in 2007...
13 Years Later, Notorious BIG
Investigation Back On
Jan 7, 2011 7:45 AM CST
13 Years Later, Notorious BIG Investigation Back On
Task force investigating new leads, say sources
- Thirteen years later, the murders of rappers Notorious BIG and Tupac Shakur remain two of the music industry’s highest-profile unsolved mysteries—but that could soon change. Police “reinvigorated” the Notorious BIG murder case months ago, sources tell CNN , and they are actively looking into leads and new information...
'Dougie' Is This Year's
Sports Dance of Choice
Nov 13, 2010 11:22 AM CST
'Dougie' Is This Year's Sports Dance of Choice
Even if the NFL isn't a fan
- It takes awhile for these things to become official, but the
Wall Street Journal
says it looks like this is the "Year of the Dougie" in sports. For the uninitiated, the dance involves some limb flailing and, crucially, running fingers through the hair. It's been a staple on college...
Oct 15, 2010 10:56 AM CDT
Stopping Suicide No Publicity Stunt: T.I.
Rapper slams claims he was trying to look good ahead of court date
- After T.I. talked a man threatening suicide out of jumping from a downtown Atlanta building, some are calling the move a publicity stunt—but that couldn’t be further from the truth, the rapper tells CNN . The video he made, which police played to the man and is credited...
Oct 13, 2010 8:40 AM CDT
Hip-Hop Group Blocks LA Freeway
Seems like a good place to put on a concert, no?
- A hip-hop band certainly got the attention it wanted when it blocked a California freeway yesterday, backing up traffic for miles. Members of the group Imperial Stars parked their truck across three lanes of the 101, then started performing atop it. Three people were arrested, the
Orange County Register
Sep 28, 2010 4:48 AM CDT
Wyclef Jean Hospitalized for Stress
Rep: Singer 'needs space to regroup'
- Wyclef Jean dropped from exhaustion soon after dropping his bid to become president of Haiti. The hip-hop singer— who formally ended his presidential bid last week —checked into hospital "suffering from stress and fatigue based on the grueling eight weeks he's had," his rep tells AP . Jean...
Film Fest Fans
Sep 7, 2010 2:03 AM CDT
Film Fest Fans Scratch Heads Over Joaquin
Venice as confused as everyone about actor's bizarre filmed journey
- First critics were stumped, now film festival fans are just as perplexed after seeing Joaquin Phoenix's latest movie and are still wondering: is he punking us or is he in the throes of a serious mental collapse? "There is no hoax," director Casey Affleck told reporters at the...
Jun 19, 2010 1:48 PM CDT
Eminem: 'I Think I've Calmed Down'
He's even warming up to gay marriage
- Eminem's album
is out Monday, and he tells Deborah Solomon of the
New York Times
that his volatile Slim Shady alter ego is less visible. "I felt like I was starting to run it into the ground," he says. Click here for the full interview. Highlights:
Guru Dead At 43
Apr 20, 2010 11:56 AM CDT
Hip-Hop Star Guru Dead At 43
Keith Elam of Gang Starr was also celebrated solo artist
- Keith Elam, who performed as Guru with the high-profile hip-hop duo Gang Starr, died yesterday. He was 43 and had been battling cancer. Although Guru was from Boston and partner DJ Premier from Houston, Gang Starr played a high-profile role on the New York underground rap scene of the '90s....
Apr 16, 2010 6:25 AM CDT
Putin Tapped for Hip-Hop Music Award
Russian PM's visit to hip-hop contest nominated as rap event of the year
- It's probably safe to say V-Put won't be busting rhymes any time soon, but he's still up for a hip-hop award from the Russian equivalent of MTV. The Russian prime minister stands to win Muz T's Event of the Year award for a somewhat awkward visit he made to the...
Monks Sell Mantras
With Hip-Hop and Booze
Jan 22, 2010 11:29 AM CST
Monks Sell Mantras With Hip-Hop and Booze
Japanese Buddhists court young with shows, bars
- In an effort to draw new converts, a group of Japanese monks has turned to an oddly un-Buddhist method: alcohol and rap. Calling the strategy "Buddhism 2010," monk Kansho Tagai, who is content to be known by his new street name, Mr. Happiness, says that Japanese Buddhism is...
Please Adopt Me
Dec 19, 2009 5:19 AM CST
Sean Combs to Obama: Please Adopt Me
Rapper extraordinaire also takes credit for election
- Sean Combs sat down with
for an interview, and the artist formerly known as Diddy (and P-Diddy, and Puff Daddy ...) sure is good for a quote. Or several. Highlights:
On his hip-hop legacy:
"If I’m not inspiring you at this point, you’re a lost hope.
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
2nd Woman Dumped at LA Hospital Dies
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
You Know About Foster Care, Maybe Not Its 'Shadow' System
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Shellshocked Docs Call Bomb Squad for Man With Ordnance in Rectum
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.