Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
at Hoover Dam
Jul 19, 2022 8:19 PM CDT
Transformer Explodes at Hoover Dam
Authorities say nobody was injured in explosion, fire
- A transformer exploded at the Hoover Dam Tuesday morning, causing a fire that authorities say was quickly extinguished with no interruption to the flow of power from the massive hydroelectric plant. Authorities say nobody was injured in the explosion and fire around 10am and the power grid was never at...
Woman Who Went Missing
in February Is Missing Again
Mar 23, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Woman Who Went Missing in February Is Missing Again
Gayle Stewart last seen near the Hoover Dam on March 14
- A Nevada woman who was reported missing on Valentine's Day and found roughly 12 hours later clinging to a tree on a dangerously steep slope has disappeared for a second time. It’s now been nine days since Gayle Stewart, 64, was last seen March 14 near the Hoover...
Aug 16, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Shortage Means Federal Water Cuts
Drought fueled by climate change leads to record low levels in major reservoirs
- Officials on Monday are expected to declare the first-ever water shortage from a river that serves 40 million people in the American West, triggering cuts to some Arizona farmers next year amid a gripping drought. Water levels at the largest reservoir on the Colorado River—Lake Mead—have fallen to...
Lake Mead at Hoover Dam
Reaches a Record Low
Jun 7, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
Lake Mead at Hoover Dam Reaches a Record Low
Long drought is leading to water shortages
- One of the purposes of the Hoover Dam when it was built more than 80 years ago was flood control. Unfortunately, that's not a problem right now. Lake Mead, the reservoir formed by the dam, is at its lowest point since its completion in 1935 and is just...
Hoover Dam Standoff:
An Armored Car and a Protest
Jun 17, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Hoover Dam Standoff: An Armored Car and a Protest
Suspect blocked traffic with homemade armored vehicle, demanded 'release the OIG report'
- A 30-year-old Nevada man is in custody after a bizarre 90-minute standoff Friday at the Hoover Dam, reports the
Las Vegas Review-Journal .
Police say that Matthew P. Wright drove a homemade armored vehicle onto the towering Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Bridge and stopped, blocking traffic, with a sign reading "...
Drunk Man Becomes First
to Survive Hoover Dam Swim
In Case You Missed It
Sep 16, 2017 5:14 PM CDT
Drunk Man Becomes First to Survive Hoover Dam Swim
Lucky for Aaron Hughes most of the turbines weren't on
- The world's least shocking quote: A British man's admission that his fairly miraculous swim across the Hoover Dam reservoir was "drink fueled," per the
. Arron Hughes speaks to the
about his Aug. 10 experience, which came after what he says was a 37-hour...
You Can Go Kayaking...
on Your Las Vegas Trip
Oct 2, 2013 12:31 PM CDT
You Can Go Kayaking... on Your Las Vegas Trip
Or, if you'd rather, experience arts and culture downtown
- If your weekend in Las Vegas left you a bit hungover and in need of healthier pursuits, good news: You can get picked up at your hotel and whisked 30 miles away to kayak the Colorado River on an overnight Black Canyon "float trip" near the Hoover Dam, the...
Lake Mead May Vanish by 2021
Feb 13, 2008 3:24 AM CST
Lake Mead May Vanish by 2021
Hoover Dam's vital source of water and power under threat
- Lake Mead, the giant man-made lake behind the Hoover Dam and a major source of water for millions of people, is rapidly drying up, reports Live Science. A new study predicts a 50% chance the lake will be too low to produce hydroelectric power by 2017, and a 50% chance...
Popular on Newser
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.