Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Killed Rookie
NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jan 25, 2022 12:51 AM CST
Man Who Killed Rookie NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jason Rivera, 22, killed while responding to domestic incident; another officer critically hurt
The man who shot and killed an NYPD officer Friday has died. The suspect, Lashawn McNeil, was shot during the incident by one of the three NYPD officers who responded to a domestic violence call in Harlem, and McNeil died of his injuries Monday, the AP reports. The third...
He Poured Hand
Sanitizer on Himself.
Then a Cop Tased Him
Jan 8, 2022 9:00 AM CST
He Poured Hand Sanitizer on Himself. Then a Cop Tased Him
NY AG investigating incident in Catskill, NY, after Jason Jones burst into flames; he died last month
- Graphic video made public Friday shows a man who doused himself in hand sanitizer bursting into flames when a police officer used a stun gun on him at a New York police station in October. Security footage released by the state attorney general's office shows Jason Jones, 29, rolling...
Mayor Speaks About Teen's
Death in Dirt-Bike Crash
Dec 29, 2021 1:22 PM CST
Mayor Speaks About Teen's Death in Dirt-Bike Crash
Family says police in Boynton Beach, Fla., 'chased' Stanley Davis Jr. 'right to his damn grave'
The mayor of Boynton, Florida, has weighed in on the Sunday death of a 13-year-old boy there. Mayor Steven B. Grant on Monday shared what he conveyed to Stanley Davis Jr.'s family with CBS12 . It quotes him as saying, "My statement to them was we should...
Cops Guarding a Murder Scene
Took Victims' Pictures Instead
Dec 7, 2021 7:54 AM CST
Cops Guarding a Murder Scene Took Victims' Pictures Instead
London cops Deniz Jaffer, Jamie Lewis get 2 years, 9 months in jail for sharing photos of slain sisters
- In what the
calls "the scandal that rocked Britain's largest force," two London cops who shared photos of two murdered sisters have been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison. Deniz Jaffer, 47, and Jamie Lewis, 33, of the Metropolitan Police had been stationed...
in Rash of
Dec 4, 2021 11:49 AM CST
14 Arrested in Rash of Smash-and-Grab Robberies
LA police say at least one suspect is under 18
In the week or so before Thanksgiving, police say there were about 11 smash-and-grab store robberies, some done by flash-mob style groups of people, in the Los Angeles area. In a press conference Thursday, LA police chief Michael Moore and Mayor Eric Garcetti say police have arrested 14 people...
Cops Grab Canoe
to Save Elderly Man
Nov 9, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Cops Grab Canoe to Save Elderly Man
He was submerged in cold waters off the Connecticut coast
- Police officers in coastal Connecticut grabbed a nearby canoe belonging to a private citizen instead of waiting for a police boat when they located a missing elderly man early Tuesday. The Westport officers paddled to the rescue after spotting the man partially submerged off Saugatuck Shores Beach, reports the
After George Floyd, a Big
Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Nov 2, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
After George Floyd, a Big Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Residents to decide whether to replace police department with new public-safety agency
- Voters in Minneapolis were deciding Tuesday whether to replace the city's police department with a new Department of Public Safety, more than a year after George Floyd's death under the knee of a white police officer launched a movement to defund or abolish police across the country. The...
Florida Police Say They Made
a Mistake Watching Laundrie
Oct 26, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Florida Police Say They Made a Mistake Watching Laundrie
North Port officers thought they knew where he was
- When Gabby Petito’s parents reported her missing on Sept. 11, police in North Port, Florida, started watching Brian Laundrie. They had his parents' house under surveillance, and North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison put it like this on Sept. 16, per NBC News : "All I’m going to...
We'll Give You
$5K to Move Here
Oct 25, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
DeSantis to Anti-Vax Cops: We'll Give You $5K to Move Here
Governor hopes to sign legislation that would offer bonus to relocating officers resisting vax mandates
- Ron DeSantis has an offer for police officers around the country: If you don't want to get vaccinated and may have to leave your job because of it, his state has a place for you. The Florida governor appeared on Fox News on Sunday, telling host Maria Bartiromo that...
Elijah McClain's Parents
Reach Settlement With City
Oct 19, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Elijah McClain's Parents Reach Settlement With City
They filed civil rights lawsuit after son's death
: The parents of Elijah McClain have reached a tentative settlement with the city of Aurora, Colorado over the death of their son after a fatal encounter with police in 2019. The 23-year-old massage therapist was thrown to the ground and placed in a chokehold before paramedics injected him with...
Supreme Court Twice Backs
Qualified Immunity for Police
Oct 18, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Supreme Court Twice Backs Qualified Immunity for Police
Justices block 2 excessive force lawsuits against officers
- In two rulings Monday, the Supreme Court endorsed protections from lawsuits for police officers. Lower courts had allowed the excessive force suits to proceed, the Hill reports, one in Oklahoma and one in California. The justices overturned those decisions in summary rulings, without mention of any dissents. "All but...
Biden: Job of Police
Is Harder Than Ever
Oct 16, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Biden: Job of Police Is Harder Than Ever
At memorial ceremony, president says officers are expected to 'take a bullet' and act as psychologist
- Standing outside the building defended by Capitol Police on Jan. 6, President Biden on Saturday honored officers killed in the line of duty. The annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service in Washington recognized those killed in 2019 and 2020, and their families, the Hill reports. "I've been coming...
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over
Incident at Michigan Home
Oct 10, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over Incident at Michigan Home
Police say a White neighbor called to report a break-in
A Black real estate agent and the clients he was showing a Wyoming, Michigan, home to have filed a federal lawsuit against the city after being held at gunpoint, detained, and handcuffed during the August showing. Police were called by a neighbor who suspected a Black squatter who had...
Study: 55% of Police Killings
Don't Appear in Statistics
Oct 1, 2021 9:36 AM CDT
Study: 55% of Police Killings Don't Appear in Statistics
Researchers call fatal police violence an 'urgent public health crisis'
- Police killings in the US represent an "urgent public health crisis," the size of which is not accurately reflected in the official statistics that guide health policy, according to a new study in the
medical journal. Researchers say they compared data from National Vital Statistics System to...
Deaf Man Jailed for 4 Months
After Traffic Stop Sues Cops
Sep 27, 2021 6:11 PM CDT
Deaf Man Jailed for 4 Months After Traffic Stop Sues Cops
One of the officers named in the suit was fired after using a Taser on a 75-year-old
- A deaf man spent four months in jail after a traffic stop. He’s suing the officers who arrested him. Brady Mistic was arrested in September 2019 in Idaho Springs, Colorado, the
reports. The officers who pulled him over say he rolled through a stop sign. Mistic says...
Man With Swastika on Truck,
Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
Sep 13, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Man With Swastika on Truck, Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
California man's father: 'He's not well'
- Less than a week before a right-wing rally is scheduled to take place near the Capitol in Washington, DC, a man with a bayonet and machete was arrested near the Democratic National Committee headquarters. Capitol Police spotted a gray Dodge Dakota with swastika on a side mirror and an American...
Judge Rejects Charges for
Hawaii Cops in Teen's Killing
Aug 19, 2021 4:11 AM CDT
Judge Rejects Charges for Hawaii Cops in Teen's Killing
Prosecutors filed murder, attempted murder charges after grand jury declined to indict
- A Hawaii judge on Wednesday rejected murder and attempted murder charges against three Honolulu police officers in the fatal shooting of a teenager, preventing the case from going to trial. District Court Judge William Domingo, in a ruling from the bench, said there was no probable cause that the officers...
Dallas IT Worker Loses Files
on Open Criminal Cases
Aug 11, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Dallas IT Worker Loses Files on Open Criminal Cases
Police might have to investigate the crimes again
- A massive amount of information on criminal cases dating to July 2020 has been lost from the Dallas Police Department computer database, authorities revealed on Wednesday. In a statement, the Dallas County District Attorney's Office said the loss occurred in early April as the police department performed a data...
Report: Jailhouse Informants
Were Offered 'Sex for Lies'
Jul 26, 2021 5:39 PM CDT
Report: Jailhouse Informants Were Offered 'Sex for Lies'
Their testimony may have sent innocent Philadelphia men to prison for decades
- Former jailhouse informants in Philadelphia say detectives trying to clear up murder cases decades ago offered them the chance to have sex with girlfriends or sex workers in police interview rooms in return for false testimony that sent innocent men to prison. The
reports that no case has...
In Washington State,
a Test of Police Reform
Jul 26, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
In Washington State, a Test of Police Reform
New laws take effect, though critics say they're creating confusion for officers
- Washington state is embarking on a massive experiment in police reform following the murder of George Floyd last year, with a dozen laws going into effect over the weekend, per the AP . But law enforcement officials remain uncertain about what they require, leading to discrepancies around the state in how...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
'Abandoned Twice' Teen Kills Self After Reunion With Parents
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Gunfire Hits Cori Bush's Car
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.