Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Biden: Job of Police
Is Harder Than Ever
Oct 16, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Biden: Job of Police Is Harder Than Ever
At memorial ceremony, president says officers are expected to 'take a bullet' and act as psychologist
- Standing outside the building defended by Capitol Police on Jan. 6, President Biden on Saturday honored officers killed in the line of duty. The annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service in Washington recognized those killed in 2019 and 2020, and their families, the Hill reports. "I've been coming...
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over
Incident at Michigan Home
Oct 10, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over Incident at Michigan Home
Police say a White neighbor called to report a break-in
A Black real estate agent and the clients he was showing a Wyoming, Michigan, home to have filed a federal lawsuit against the city after being held at gunpoint, detained, and handcuffed during the August showing. Police were called by a neighbor who suspected a Black squatter who had...
Study: 55% of Police Killings
Don't Appear in Statistics
Oct 1, 2021 9:36 AM CDT
Study: 55% of Police Killings Don't Appear in Statistics
Researchers call fatal police violence an 'urgent public health crisis'
- Police killings in the US represent an "urgent public health crisis," the size of which is not accurately reflected in the official statistics that guide health policy, according to a new study in the
medical journal. Researchers say they compared data from National Vital Statistics System to...
Deaf Man Jailed for 4 Months
After Traffic Stop Sues Cops
Sep 27, 2021 6:11 PM CDT
Deaf Man Jailed for 4 Months After Traffic Stop Sues Cops
One of the officers named in the suit was fired after using a Taser on a 75-year-old
- A deaf man spent four months in jail after a traffic stop. He’s suing the officers who arrested him. Brady Mistic was arrested in September 2019 in Idaho Springs, Colorado, the
reports. The officers who pulled him over say he rolled through a stop sign. Mistic says...
Man With Swastika on Truck,
Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
Sep 13, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Man With Swastika on Truck, Bayonet Arrested Near DNC
California man's father: 'He's not well'
- Less than a week before a right-wing rally is scheduled to take place near the Capitol in Washington, DC, a man with a bayonet and machete was arrested near the Democratic National Committee headquarters. Capitol Police spotted a gray Dodge Dakota with swastika on a side mirror and an American...
Judge Rejects Charges for
Hawaii Cops in Teen's Killing
Aug 19, 2021 4:11 AM CDT
Judge Rejects Charges for Hawaii Cops in Teen's Killing
Prosecutors filed murder, attempted murder charges after grand jury declined to indict
- A Hawaii judge on Wednesday rejected murder and attempted murder charges against three Honolulu police officers in the fatal shooting of a teenager, preventing the case from going to trial. District Court Judge William Domingo, in a ruling from the bench, said there was no probable cause that the officers...
Dallas IT Worker Loses Files
on Open Criminal Cases
Aug 11, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Dallas IT Worker Loses Files on Open Criminal Cases
Police might have to investigate the crimes again
- A massive amount of information on criminal cases dating to July 2020 has been lost from the Dallas Police Department computer database, authorities revealed on Wednesday. In a statement, the Dallas County District Attorney's Office said the loss occurred in early April as the police department performed a data...
Report: Jailhouse Informants
Were Offered 'Sex for Lies'
Jul 26, 2021 5:39 PM CDT
Report: Jailhouse Informants Were Offered 'Sex for Lies'
Their testimony may have sent innocent Philadelphia men to prison for decades
- Former jailhouse informants in Philadelphia say detectives trying to clear up murder cases decades ago offered them the chance to have sex with girlfriends or sex workers in police interview rooms in return for false testimony that sent innocent men to prison. The
reports that no case has...
In Washington State,
a Test of Police Reform
Jul 26, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
In Washington State, a Test of Police Reform
New laws take effect, though critics say they're creating confusion for officers
- Washington state is embarking on a massive experiment in police reform following the murder of George Floyd last year, with a dozen laws going into effect over the weekend, per the AP . But law enforcement officials remain uncertain about what they require, leading to discrepancies around the state in how...
Hate Crime Charge
Follows Smirk at
Jul 16, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Hate Crime Charge Follows Smirk at Sheriff's Deputy
Officer says woman's expression while stomping 'Back the Blue' sign was attempt at intimidation
- A 19-year-old has been charged with a hate crime after a sheriff's deputy said she tried to intimidate him, bringing a debate about including law enforcement as a protected class in Utah. A Garfield County sheriff's deputy wrote that after he pulled over several speeding vehicles, one of...
US Are Resigning,
Retiring Like Crazy
Jun 25, 2021 9:23 AM CDT
Cops Across US Are Resigning, Retiring Like Crazy
Asheville, NC, has lost a third of its force
- Who wants to be a cop these days? In many US cities, the answer is increasingly "hardly anybody." Officers have been resigning or retiring in droves across the country and police departments are finding it very difficult to recruit replacements, NPR reports. The Police Executive Research Forum think...
Police Officer Rushing to
Shooting Runs Over Victim
Jun 19, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Police Officer Rushing to Shooting Runs Over Victim
The Springfield, Ohio, man died soon after
- A man in Springfield, Ohio, who called 911 for help after he was shot in his arm was run over by the officer responding to the call, police say. He died shortly afterward, NBC News reports. Police are investigating that incident, and also looking for who shot Eric Cole, 42....
Entire Portland Police Team
Resigns After Officer Indicted
Jun 19, 2021 10:56 AM CDT
Entire Portland Police Team Resigns After Officer Indicted
The group of about 50 will keep their jobs but not work protests anymore
- About 50 officers in the Portland, Oregon, police force have quit the crowd-control squad tasked with handling protests. The officers aren’t quitting their jobs—they’re just leaving the Rapid Response Team, an extra duty they volunteer for on top of their regular duties, per the AP . The team...
Restaurant Staff Arrested After
Refusing Police Burger Demand
Jun 16, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Restaurant Staff Arrested After Refusing Police Burger Demand
9 officers in Pakistan have now been suspended
- A burger restaurant in Pakistan is being praised for taking a stand against corrupt cops. Gohar Iqbal, chief executive of the Johnny & Jugnu chain, says the full on-shift staff of one of its three Lahore restaurants was arrested after refusing to give free burgers to a group of police...
Father Sues Police Who
Opened, Searched Baby's Urn
Jun 13, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Father Sues Police Who Opened, Searched Baby's Urn
Lawsuit alleges cops spilled, 'desecrated' remains
- A grieving father in Illinois is suing police, alleging officers "desecrated" his daughter’s remains after they searched, and possibly spilled, some of the girl’s ashes. Dartavius Barnes was pulled over in April 2020 by police who say he was speeding and ran a stop sign. The...
Lawsuit: Trooper Flipped Car
in Unnecessary PIT Maneuver
Jun 11, 2021 10:33 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Trooper Flipped Car in Unnecessary PIT Maneuver
Woman pregnant at time of crash says she had been looking for safe place to stop
- An Arkansas woman suffered "hellacious bruises" and feared she had lost her unborn baby when a state trooper deployed a PIT maneuver and drove into her bumper on a highway last year, causing her vehicle to flip in a crash caught on dashcam video , her lawyer says. According to...
Boston's Top Cop Fired
Over Domestic Abuse Claims
Jun 7, 2021 4:51 PM CDT
Boston's Top Cop Fired Over Domestic Abuse Claims
Dennis White denies physically, mentally abusing ex-wife
- Boston's police commissioner was fired Monday following a bitter battle to keep his job after decades-old domestic violence accusations came to light. Acting Mayor Kim Janey announced Dennis White's removal as the city's top cop, four months after White was placed on leave over the allegations just...
Drunk Teen Stumbles Into
Worst Possible Wrong House
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Drunk Teen Stumbles Into Worst Possible Wrong House
The confused 19-year-old was let go without any consequences except a viral video
- Whatever this Milwaukee 19-year-old had to drink last night, we're betting he avoids it in the future. The teen stumbled into bed in the wee hours of the morning, and woke up in trouble. Not for breaking curfew, but for mistaking whatever his intended destination was for an...
Lifts Car Off Trapped Mom
May 20, 2021 2:33 PM CDT
Cop Single-Handedly Lifts Car Off Trapped Mom
Deputy John Holt hailed as hero after going 'into overdrive' in Gloucester County, Virginia
- A deputy in Virginia single-handedly lifted an overturned car to free a woman pinned underneath. In a bodycam recording that the Gloucester County Sheriff's Office shared Tuesday on Facebook , Deputy Jon Holt can be heard pulling over in his patrol vehicle and telling dispatch that the car is "...
Ex-Cops Face Charges in
Rough Arrest of Woman, 73
May 19, 2021 2:53 PM CDT
Ex-Cops Face Charges in Rough Arrest of Woman, 73
Arrest warrants have been issued for Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali
- Two former officers involved in the rough arrest of a 73-year-old Colorado woman with dementia last year will face criminal charges, online court documents showed Wednesday. Arrest warrants have been issued for Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali over the June 2020 arrest in Loveland, a city about 50 miles north...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.