Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Before Her First Olympics,
a Positive Test for Pot
Jul 2, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Before Her First Olympics, a Positive Test for Pot
It's now not clear if 21-year-old sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson will compete in Tokyo Games
- A breakout track star set to head to her first Olympics is now in competition limbo after she tested positive for marijuana. In news first reported by the
in Jamaica, US sprinter Sha'Carri Richardson has had her win at last month's 100-meter race at the US Olympic...
Hits Star Trainer
Jun 2, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Churchill Downs Hits Star Trainer With 2-Year Suspension
Bob Baffert will be barred from company tracks after second Medina Spirit drug test confirmed first
- After a second test on his Kentucky Derby winner came back positive for a banned steroid, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert has been suspended by Churchill Downs. The punishment will last till the end of the 2023 spring meet, the
reports. "Substance violations that jeopardize the...
Derby Winner Medina Spirit
Fails 2nd Drug Test
Jun 2, 2021 10:06 AM CDT
Derby Winner Medina Spirit Fails 2nd Drug Test
Betamethasone was found at prohibited level
- Medina Spirit could go down in history as the second horse to be disqualified from the Kentucky Derby for a failed drug test. Two, in this case. A second sample tested at the request of trainer Bob Baffert has come back positive, says Clark Brewster, a lawyer for Medina Spirit...
Amazon Doesn't Care About
Jobseekers' Pot Use Anymore
Jun 2, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Amazon Doesn't Care About Jobseekers' Pot Use Anymore
Country's second-largest private employer will no longer test applicants for cannabis
- Amazon said Tuesday that it will stop testing jobseekers for marijuana. The company, the second-largest private employer in the US behind Walmart, is making the change as states legalize cannabis or introduce laws banning employers from testing for it. The AP reports that in March, a New York man sued...
After Eurovision Victory
Comes a Drug Test
May 23, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
After Eurovision Victory Comes a Drug Test
Rumors spread that lead singer snorted cocaine onstage
- The Italian glam rock band that won the Eurovision Song Contest returned home Sunday to the adulation of fans, congratulations from the government, and so much speculation that the lead singer had snorted cocaine during the show that he vowed to take a drug test. "We want to shut...
COVID-19 Drug Trial
Bites the Dust
Jul 4, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
COVID-19 Drug Trial Bites the Dust
The World Health Organization abandons testing of hydroxycholorquine
- The World Health Organization says it is ending a trial into whether anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine helps patients hospitalized with COVID-19, the AP reports. WHO said Saturday it has "accepted the recommendation" from the committee overseeing the trial to discontinue testing of hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir, a drug combination used to...
Big Pharma Has
Bad News for Crabs
May 31, 2020 3:20 PM CDT
Big Pharma Has Bad News for Crabs
Looks like a synthetic substitute to crab blood won't be officially adopted after all
- Big Pharma is out for blood—horseshoe crabs' blood, that is—and that's not about to change. An effort to promote a synthetic substitute to crab blood in medical safety tests fell short Friday when a powerful US group refused to fully back the switch, Reuters reports. The group,...
Runner Who Missed Drug
Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Sep 28, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Runner Who Missed Drug Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Christian Coleman of the US becomes the sixth-fastest man in history
- Christian Coleman of the US won the world championship gold medal in the men's 100 meters Saturday in Qatar, three weeks after avoiding a ban for missed drug tests, the AP reports. Coleman started well and extended his lead down the stretch to win in 9.76 seconds. Defending...
82 Days in Jail
Aug 28, 2019 10:21 AM CDT
He Brought Honey From Jamaica, Spent 82 Days in Jail
Lawsuit coming in case of Maryland's Leon Haughton
- "They put me through hell." So says a legal permanent resident of Maryland jailed for 82 days after a false-positive test indicated there was liquid meth in three bottles of honey he brought back from his native Jamaica. Leon Haughton initially thought canines at Baltimore's airport detected...
Star QB Cleared After
Cops' Drug-Test Mistake
Aug 9, 2019 10:07 AM CDT
Star QB Cleared After Cops' Drug-Test Mistake
Officers insisted white stuff on Shai Werts' car was cocaine; he said it was bird poop
- Cops claimed the white substance on Shai Werts' car was cocaine. The starting quarterback for Georgia Southern University said it was bird poop. "I play football, so I don't do cocaine," the 21-year-old told officers July 31 as he was pulled over for speeding in South Carolina....
School District's Way
to Push Back on 'Peer
Pressure': Drug Tests
Jul 25, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
School District's Way to Push Back on 'Peer Pressure': Drug Tests
Kids as young as 12 will be drug-tested in Bushland, Texas
- A Texas school district says students as young as 12 will need to submit to random drug testing to participate in band, chess, and other extracurriculars. Bushland Independent School District Superintendent Chris Wigington says the board's decision to drug-test students in grades seven through 12 when classes begin next...
How Lamar Odom
May 18, 2019 9:32 AM CDT
How Lamar Odom Cheated the Olympics
The NBA champion found a way around the drug test
- Lamar Odom admits he beat an Olympic drug test by using something huge, rubber, and black. In his new memoir
Darkness to Light
, the NBA champ says it was "one of the biggest honors in my career" to be offered a place on the US Men's Olympic basketball...
Connecticut Just Had a
Bizarre Political Challenge
Apr 23, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
Connecticut Just Had a Bizarre Political Challenge
2 sparring officials in Bridgeport agree to drug tests after exchanging insults
- No surprise: The comments section on a political story online turned personal and nasty. Bigger surprise: The two combatants accusing each other of being on drugs were two local officials in Bridgeport, Conn.—City Councilman Ernie Newton and Board of Education member Maria Pereira, reports the
Cases Tainted by Perpetually
High Lab Worker Tossed Out
Oct 12, 2018 3:14 AM CDT
Cases Tainted by Perpetually High Lab Worker Tossed Out
Sonja Farak abused crime lab drugs for 8 years
- Thousands of additional drug cases tainted by a former chemist authorities say was high on an assortment of substances almost every day she worked at a state drug lab for eight years must be dismissed, Massachusetts' highest court ruled Thursday. The Supreme Judicial Court's decision is the latest twist...
Store Owner Puts Unique
Warning on Microwave
Oct 6, 2018 11:57 AM CDT
Store Owner Puts Unique Warning on Microwave
Parul Patel says he's 'sick and tired' of people warming their urine at his store
- A Florida gas station owner has placed a sign in his store asking customers not to warm urine in the microwave, the AP reports. Parul Patel says he's become "sick and tired" of people walking into his BP gas station and On the Fly convenience store in Jacksonville...
Poppy Seed Bagel Leads to
Mom's 'Traumatizing' Ordeal
Aug 8, 2018 2:22 PM CDT
Poppy Seed Bagel Leads to Mom's 'Traumatizing' Ordeal
Maryland mom Elizabeth Eden warns other expectant moms
- Elaine Benes could get behind this: A new mom is asking a Maryland hospital to revamp its approach to drug tests for expectant moms after her poppy seed bagel breakfast resulted in a false positive for opiates. "It was traumatizing," Elizabeth Eden tells WBAL of the saga...
Woman Gets 18 Months
for 'Bizarre' Urine Swap
Apr 25, 2018 1:42 PM CDT
Woman Gets 18 Months for 'Bizarre' Urine Swap
The urine she borrowed tested positive for drugs
- An Ohio woman might want to ask some questions if she tries to borrow someone's urine again to pass a drug test. WTOV-TV reports 24-year-old Kiana Wallace was sentenced to 18 months in prison Monday, in eastern Ohio's Belmont County, for submitting a borrowed urine sample that tested...
Dad Blasts Cop for
'Uncalled For' Handling
of Baby's Ashes
Mar 19, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Dad Blasts Cop for 'Uncalled For' Handling of Baby's Ashes
Anthony Butler says deputy spilled infant's cremated remains all over his car during traffic stop
- Anthony Butler says he knew he'd get a ticket when a cop pulled him over March 11 for not having a front license plate on his vehicle. What he didn't expect was to lose most of his infant daughter's cremated remains. "Almost all her ashes are...
Olympics Gets Its
2nd Failed Drug Test
Feb 18, 2018 8:33 AM CST
Olympics Gets Its 2nd Failed Drug Test
Russian delegation announces that an unnamed athlete has failed
- The Russian delegation at the Pyeongchang Olympics has announced that one of its athletes has failed a drug test, reports the AP . Two Russian state news agencies cited Konstantin Vybornov, spokesman for the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" team, as saying the delegation received an official notification from the International...
Trump Implies Clinton Was
on Drugs During Last Debate
Oct 15, 2016 4:15 PM CDT
Trump Implies Clinton Was on Drugs During Last Debate
He wants drug testing 'cause I don't know what's going on with her'
- In what is likely another first in a US presidential election seemingly full of them, a candidate has advocated for drug testing prior to a debate. CBS News reports Donald Trump suggested Saturday that Hillary Clinton was on performance-enhancing drugs during the second debate "cause I don't know...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.