Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gives Up a Secret
Oct 11, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Gives Up a Secret
Da Vinci gave the masterpiece her own distinctive chemical signature
has given up another secret. Using X-rays to peer into the chemical structure of a tiny speck of the celebrated work of art, scientists have gained new insight into the techniques that Leonardo da Vinci used to paint his groundbreaking portrait. The research, published Wednesday in the...
Historian Claims to Have
May 4, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Historian Claims to Have Solved a
Bridge above subject's shoulder still stands in Tuscany, says Silvano Vinceti
- Few eyes gazing upon Leonardo da Vinci's
likely notice the tiny bridge painted just above the subject's left shoulder, on the right side of the painting. But that piece of architecture stood out to Italian historian Silvano Vinceti, who believes he's identified it as a...
Man Disguised as Woman
Throws Cake at Mona Lisa
May 30, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Man Disguised as Woman Throws Cake at Mona Lisa
It was apparently done in the name of the planet
- A man seemingly disguised as an old woman in a wheelchair threw a piece of cake at the glass protecting the Mona Lisa at the Louvre museum and shouted at people to think of planet Earth. The Paris prosecutor's office said Monday that the man, 36, was detained following...
Really Wanted to
Dec 16, 2020 7:30 AM CST
This Person Really Wanted to See the
Bidder paid $98K to get closer glimpse of da Vinci's famous piece during annual inspection
- How much would it be worth to get to see that
smile up close and personal, without any fellow gawkers blocking your view? According to one person, $98,000 . That's how much a bidder paid for the chance to watch as da Vinci's famous painting is...
Time to Go, Mona Lisa
Nov 7, 2019 7:50 AM CST
Time to Go, Mona Lisa
Columnist Jason Farago is tired of the selfie throngs at the Louvre
- The Louvre needs to give the Mona Lisa her walking papers, argues Jason Farago in a
New York Times
op-ed. The painting is "the Kim Kardashian of 16th-century Italian portraiture" and "only moderately interesting" as a work of art, he writes. But you wouldn't know that by...
Study: Mona Lisa's Gaze
Doesn't Live Up to Legend
Jan 9, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Study: Mona Lisa's Gaze Doesn't Live Up to Legend
The 'Mona Lisa Effect' is a 'misnomer,' researchers find
- It's a "scientific legend": that Mona Lisa's eyes follow you wherever you go, a phenomenon so well known that it birthed the term "Mona Lisa Effect." Except it's not true, at least in the case of Leonardo da Vinci's painting. That's the...
Doc Says Disease,
Not Da Vinci, Shaped
Mona Lisa's Smile
Sep 11, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
Doc Says Disease, Not Da Vinci, Shaped Mona Lisa's Smile
Hypothyroidism theory points to swelled hands, weak facial muscles
- The secret behind the world's most famous smile apparently escaped as a cardiologist spent 1.5 hours in line for a full viewing at the Louvre. "The enigma of the 'Mona Lisa' can be resolved by a simple medical diagnosis of a hypothyroidism-related illness," Mandeep Mehra...
4 Famous Sites
Likely to Underwhelm
May 31, 2018 11:52 AM CDT
4 Famous Sites Likely to Underwhelm
See Egypt's pyramids, then grab a pizza
- You might think trips to see Stonehenge or Egypt's pyramids are worth the thousands of dollars in airfare and other travel expenses. These are majestic, ancient structures, after all. Sadly, there's more to such famous spots than most picturesque Instagram posts suggest. Four destinations likely to underwhelm, according...
Experts: Nude Mona Lisa
Is a Real Da Vinci
Sep 29, 2017 2:40 AM CDT
Experts: Nude Mona Lisa Is a Real Da Vinci
Sketch suggests he created different version of painting
- Art experts have found tantalizing clues that suggest 500-year-old rumors Leonardo da Vinci painted a nude version of the Mona Lisa are true. A charcoal drawing of a nude Mona Lisa that has been sitting in a museum north of Paris for 150 years is now believed to be the...
They Figured Out
Mona Lisa's Smile
Mar 13, 2017 8:51 AM CDT
Scientists Think They Figured Out Mona Lisa's Smile
German researchers say people overwhelmingly think famous smile is happy
- It is a mystery that has vexed the art world for centuries: Is Mona Lisa's famous smile happy? The answer is overwhelmingly "yes," according to a new study. German researchers report that nearly everyone shown altered images of Leonardo da Vinci's famous brunette perceived the original...
It's Raining So Much
in Paris the Louvre
Jun 2, 2016 1:21 PM CDT
It's Raining So Much in Paris the Louvre Is Closed
Rising waters in France, Germany, and Belgium have already led to at least 6 deaths
- The Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay closed their doors to the public Thursday as the Seine crept up past its normal water levels, prompting fears of flooding and peril to famous works in both Paris art institutions, the
reports. Local cops say that flood warnings for areas along...
May Have Used
for Mona Lisa
Apr 30, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Da Vinci May Have Used Male Model for Mona Lisa
Androgyny a "longtime fascination" for painter, says art detective
- The Mona Lisa is two-faced. At least that's what a self-proclaimed Italian art detective says. Silvani Vinceti says his research shows that Leonardo da Vinci used two models—one female and one male—to create the famous 16th-century portrait that hangs at the Louvre, the
Behind Mona Lisa's
Dec 8, 2015 12:11 PM CST
Behind Mona Lisa's Smile: Another Woman?
Pascal Cotte used reflective light technology to analyze the paint layers
- Will the real Mona Lisa please stand up—or at least send us a signal from within the paint layers? The art world is buzzing over a French scientist's claims that he discovered a portrait of another woman lurking beneath the top layer of the world's most famous...
Over Rifle Ad
Mar 9, 2014 2:55 PM CDT
Italy Fumes Over Rifle Ad With Statue of David
ArmaLite sparks row over ad for $3K rifle
- Italians are a wee bit upset about an ArmaLite ad that shows a massive $3,000 rifle cradled in the arms of Michelangelo's David, the BBC reports. "The image of David, armed, offends and infringes the law," tweeted culture minister Dario Franceschini. He vowed to take action...
Begin in Quest
for the Real
Feb 18, 2014 10:41 AM CST
DNA Tests Begin in Quest for the Real Mona Lisa
Bones unearthed in Florence could belong to painting's model
- A three-year quest that has put researchers on a path toward what they hope is the "real" face of the Mona Lisa winds closer to its conclusion: Silvano Vinceti says DNA tests have begun on a skeleton his team unearthed in July 2012 in Florence , in an effort to...
Next in Mona Lisa
Drama: Digging Up
the Family Tomb
Aug 8, 2013 5:30 PM CDT
Next in Mona Lisa Drama: Digging Up the Family Tomb
Lisa Gherardini's sons could provide a DNA match
- Digging up the Mona Lisa was just the beginning, apparently. Now it's time to open her family's tomb for DNA samples of her two sons, NBC News reports. Last year, researchers exhumed several bodies in Florence, Italy, hoping one belonged to Lisa Gherardini—the likely model for Leonardo...
Meet 'Mini Lisa,' Thinner
Than a Human Hair
Aug 7, 2013 1:29 PM CDT
Meet 'Mini Lisa,' Thinner Than a Human Hair
Georgia Tech creates tiny copy with nanotechnology
- Leonardo da Vinci used oil-based paint to create his
. The folks at Georgia Tech used ThermoChemical NanoLithography to create their version, dubbed the "Mini Lisa," reports the
Christian Science Monitor
. The result? An almost indescribably small gray-scale copy. Think one third the width of a human...
Mona Lisa Sent
to Outer Space
Jan 18, 2013 10:14 AM CST
Mona Lisa Sent to Outer Space via Laser
Feat represents a major advancement in laser communication
- Outer space just got a little more cultured. NASA scientists have successfully beamed an image of the Mona Lisa to its Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter using a special laser signal, a feat that represents a major leap in laser communication technology, Space.com reports. "This is the first time anyone...
Next Step in
Dec 12, 2012 8:18 AM CST
Next Step in
Quest: DNA Testing
Reconstruction of Lisa Gheradini's face may give clues about famed painting
- Art history fans have a good reason to crack a smile: We're getting closer to determining whether Lisa Gherardini did indeed serve as the model for Leonardo da Vinci's famous
, reports CNN . Researchers in Italy have been sorting through a set of exhumed bones —currently...
This Is Young
Sep 27, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
Art Group: This Is Young Mona Lisa
Swiss foundation says da Vinci painted two works, 10 years apart
- The world has a second
painting by da Vinci to ooh and aah over, says a Swiss art group. The Mona Lisa Foundation asserted today that years of historical and scientific research proves that the artist painted two portraits of Lisa del Giocondo at different ages, about 10...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.