Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
voter ID laws
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trying to Push Voter ID, Trump
Makes Odd Claim on Groceries
Aug 1, 2018 6:35 AM CDT
Trying to Push Voter ID, Trump Makes Odd Claim on Groceries
No, you don't usually need ID to buy groceries
- More than a quarter-century after former President George HW Bush's grocery store scanner moment , President Trump has stumbled into a similar supermarket-themed slip. While championing the concept of voter ID to prevent noncitizen voting, Trump told a rally in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday that ID is required virtually everywhere...
Voter ID Law
Apr 28, 2018 9:32 AM CDT
Court Makes Big Ruling in Texas Voter ID Law
2-1 decision doesn't allow college student IDs
- Texas' voter ID law that was twice blocked over findings of discrimination can stay in effect for the 2018 elections, a US appeals court ruled Friday, per the AP . It was the second major ruling over voting rights in the US this week after an Arkansas judge on Thursday blocked...
Judge Chucks Revised
Texas Voter ID Law
Aug 24, 2017 12:39 AM CDT
Judge Chucks Revised Texas Voter ID Law
Changes don't go far enough, she says
- A federal judge who has compared Texas' voter ID requirements to a "poll tax" on minorities once again blocked the law Wednesday, rejecting a weakened version backed by the Trump administration and dealing Texas Republicans another court defeat over voting rights. US District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos rejected changes...
Supreme Court Rejects
Appeal of NC Voter ID Law
May 15, 2017 12:06 PM CDT
Supreme Court Rejects Appeal of NC Voter ID Law
Lower court's ruling scrapping the controversial law stands
- The Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal to reinstate North Carolina's voter identification law, which a lower court said targeted African Americans "with almost surgical precision." The justices left in place the lower court ruling striking down the law's photo ID requirement and scaling back...
NC Governor Blasts '4 Liberal
Justices' Over Voter ID Law
Sep 1, 2016 12:30 AM CDT
NC Governor Blasts '4 Liberal Justices' Over Voter ID Law
A divided Supreme Court blocked the state's law
- A divided US Supreme Court refused Wednesday to reinstate North Carolina's voter identification requirement and keep just 10 days of early in-person voting. The decision—a victory for voting rights groups and President Obama's Justice Department—means voters won't have to show one of several qualifying photo...
Jul 29, 2016 6:55 PM CDT
Federal Judge Strikes Down Another State's Voting Restrictions
This time in Wisconsin
- The same day a federal judge ruled North Carolina's voter ID law was racially discriminatory and unconstitutional, a federal judge made a similar ruling in Wisconsin. While he didn't strike down the state's entire 2011 voter ID law, Judge James Peterson did repeal big chunks of it,...
Court: NC Law
Clearly Passed to
Jul 29, 2016 1:07 PM CDT
Court: NC Law Clearly Passed to Discriminate Against Black Voters
Federal court struck down the 2013 voter ID law on Friday
- A restrictive 2013 North Carolina voter ID law was struck down for being passed with "racially discriminatory intent," Politico reports. Three federal appeals court judges ruled unanimously Friday that the law violated both the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act. Judge Diana Motz says North Carolina lawmakers passed...
Federal Court Guts
Voter ID Law in Texas
Jul 20, 2016 8:21 PM CDT
Federal Court Guts Voter ID Law in Texas
It must be watered down before the November election
- A big win for the White House and critics of voter ID laws: A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that Texas' strict law discriminates against minorities and the poor and must be weakened before the November elections. The ruling was a striking election-year victory for President Obama's administration, which...
Court Rejects Texas
Voter ID Law
Aug 5, 2015 5:34 PM CDT
Court Rejects Texas Voter ID Law
Calls it 'discriminatory' against minorities
- A federal appeals court ruled today that Texas' voter ID law has a "discriminatory" effect on minorities—a victory for President Obama, whose administration took the unusual step of bringing the weight of the Justice Department to fight a wave of new ballot-box restrictions passed in conservative statehouses. The...
Voter ID Law
Oct 18, 2014 6:17 AM CDT
Supreme Court Lets Texas Enforce Voter ID Law
State can do so during this year's midterm elections
- The Supreme Court said today that Texas can use its controversial new voter ID for the November election. A majority of the justices rejected an emergency request from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit the state from requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in...
Courts: Voters Don't Need
ID at Wisconsin, Texas Polls
Oct 10, 2014 8:21 AM CDT
Courts: Voters Don't Need ID at Wisconsin, Texas Polls
Critics say requiring ID now would 'virtually guarantee chaos at the polls'
- Advocates of voter ID laws say they help address absentee voter issues; critics say the laws are discriminatory against poor, elderly, and minority voters. Two courts went with the nays last night in Wisconsin and Texas, blocking identification requirements at the polls that some say would have "virtually [guaranteed]...
Supreme Court Affirms
NC's Tight Voting Rules
Oct 8, 2014 7:00 PM CDT
Supreme Court Affirms NC's Tight Voting Rules
Same-day registration won't be allowed, justices rule
- Same-day registration won't be allowed during early voting in North Carolina, and Election Day ballots cast in the wrong precinct won't be counted this fall after the US Supreme Court today blocked a ruling that had set aside parts of a 2013 election law. A majority on the...
Voter ID Law Is
Jul 6, 2014 4:30 PM CDT
Students: Voter ID Law Is 'Unconstitutional'
North Carolina hearing on voter ID law starts tomorrow
- North Carolina's voter ID law isn't just wrong, it's unconstitutional: That novel argument will be heard this week at a hearing where students are joining the NAACP, ACLU, the Justice Department , and voter-registration advocates in a challenge against law HB 589, the
New York Times
Voter ID Laws
May 10, 2014 9:01 AM CDT
Rand Paul Bucks GOP in Opposing Voter ID Laws
Says Republicans have gone 'crazy' on the issue
- Rand Paul thinks Republicans are way off base in pushing voter ID laws , a stance that makes him the "most prominent member of his party" to come out against them, reports the
New York Times
. “Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” he tells...
Judge Scraps Voter ID
Law in Wisconsin
Apr 29, 2014 2:37 PM CDT
Judge Scraps Voter ID Law in Wisconsin
Says it violates the Constitution
- A federal judge in Milwaukee struck down Wisconsin's voter identification law today, saying a requirement that voters show a state-issued photo ID at the polls imposes an unfair burden on poor and minority voters. US District Judge Lynn Adelman sided with opponents of the law, who argued that low-income...
Judge Spikes Pennsylvania Voter ID Requirement
Jan 17, 2014 10:40 AM CST
Judge Spikes Pennsylvania Voter ID Requirement
Issue likely headed to state Supreme Court
- A nearly 2-year-old requirement that almost all of Pennsylvania's 8.2 million voters must show photo identification before casting a ballot was struck down today by a state judge, setting the stage for a courtroom showdown before the state's highest court. Commonwealth Court Judge Bernard L. McGinley, a...
Surprise: Turnout Up
Despite Voter ID Law
Nov 12, 2013 1:59 PM CST
Surprise: Turnout Up Despite Voter ID Law
Bryan Preston thinks Democrats' fears have been debunked
- Democrats have been warning loudly of the dangers of Texas' voter ID law. But "if voter ID was intended to suppress votes, it is failing as spectacularly as HealthCare.gov," writes Bryan Preston at CNN . Texas uses its off-year elections to approve or reject certain constitutional amendments. In...
Texas Denies Former
House Speaker a Voter ID
Nov 4, 2013 10:00 AM CST
Texas Denies Former House Speaker a Voter ID
Jim Wright will be able to vote, says he worries about others
- Texas' 2011 voter ID law has proved a hurdle for a longtime national political figure. Jim Wright, who briefly served as speaker of the US House in the late '80s, realized his expired driver's license and university faculty ID weren't enough to validate his ballot—so he...
Arizona, Kansas Create
Federal-Only Class of Voters
Oct 12, 2013 9:05 AM CDT
Arizona, Kansas Create Federal-Only Class of Voters
Those who register with federal form can't vote in state, local elections
- It sounds a little like whack-a-mole on voter ID laws: After the Supreme Court told Arizona it could no longer require proof of citizenship for voters in federal elections, the state plans to employ a work-around of sorts. The
calls it a "dual-track voting system" and the...
NC Voter ID
Law Runs Into
Sep 30, 2013 7:14 AM CDT
NC Voter ID Law Runs Into Roadblock: the DOJ
Eric Holder to announce lawsuit today: source
- North Carolina passed a controversial voter ID law in July, but if the Department of Justice has its way, the law—said to be the most sweeping of its kind in the nation—may never be enforced. The DOJ will file suit against the state today, a source tells Politico...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
18-Year-Old Topples Track Record From 1965
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
He Got the Whole Town's COVID Payments. Then He Vanished
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.