Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-CEO Blames Russians
for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Nov 8, 2017 4:03 PM CST
Ex-CEO Blames Russians for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Marissa Mayer says she's sorry for hacks that affected all 3 billion Yahoo users
- "I want to sincerely apologize to each and every one of our users,” Reuters quotes former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer as saying. Mayer testified in front of the Senate Commerce Committee Wednesday regarding two massive data breaches at Yahoo. In 2013, all 3 billion Yahoo accounts were hacked...
Yahoo Is No More
Jun 13, 2017 1:18 PM CDT
It's Official: Yahoo Is No More
CEO Marissa Mayer posts a goodbye letter
- It's official: Verizon has snatched up Yahoo in a long-anticipated $4.48 billion deal completed Tuesday that will see Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer exit with a healthy payout. Mayer will walk away with $23 million, plus stock holdings worth $200 million, report
and CNBC . In a "goodbye...
Who Now Makes
May 25, 2017 8:52 AM CDT
Female CEO Who Now Makes More Than Marissa Mayer
IBM's Virginia Rometty was compensated $32.3M in 2016, Mayer just $27.4M
- Think "well-compensated female CEO" and Marissa Mayer is likely to come to mind, but the Yahoo CEO has been knocked off her perch as the highest-paid one, per an Equilar-AP analysis . The survey included only women CEOs who've been in their roles for at least two years at...
Marissa Mayer Could
Walk With $186M
Apr 25, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
Marissa Mayer Could Walk With $186M
Filings suggest she will make at least that much
- Her years in charge of Yahoo haven't been what you would call an unqualified success, but Marissa Mayer still stands to make $186 million if the company's sale to Verizon goes ahead June 8. That figure includes the CEO's Yahoo stock, stock options, and restricted stock units...
New Male Yahoo CEO to
Get Double Mayer's Salary
Mar 15, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
New Male Yahoo CEO to Get Double Mayer's Salary
Thomas McInerney will also have a simpler job
- If Yahoo's sale of most of its business to Verizon goes through, the man hired to run what little remains of the company will receive double the salary of female predecessor Marissa Mayer, according to an SEC filing. Board member Thomas McInerney will receive $2 million base pay, twice...
Mar 13, 2017 4:25 PM CDT
Marissa Mayer Likely Getting $23M Severance
According to new filing cited by CNNMoney
- When Yahoo's sale to Verizon is complete, Marissa Mayer will likely walk away with a $23 million severance package, CNNMoney reports, citing a company filing. The package is contingent on the sale and on Mayer, who will lose her job as Yahoo's CEO, being terminated without cause. It'...
Yahoo Metes Out
Mar 2, 2017 12:13 AM CST
Yahoo Metes Out Punishment in Hacking Mess
Punishes Marissa Mayer, parts ways with top lawyer
- Yahoo is punishing CEO Marissa Mayer and parting ways with its top lawyer for the mishandling of two security breaches that exposed the personal information of more than 1 billion users and already have cost the company $350 million, the AP reports. Mayer won't be paid her annual bonus...
Will Exit Yahoo
Board if Verizon
Deal Goes Through
Jan 9, 2017 8:16 PM CST
Marissa Mayer Will Exit Yahoo Board if Verizon Deal Goes Through
Yahoo will also change its name to Altaba Inc. if deal is done
- Yahoo will adopt a new corporate identity and slash the size of its board if the proposed $4.8 billion sale of its digital services to Verizon Communications goes through, the AP reports. The company plans to change its name to Altaba Inc. after it turns over its email, websites,...
Claims He Was
He Was Male
Oct 7, 2016 11:51 AM CDT
Yahoo Exec Claims He Was Fired Because He Was Male
The hits just keep coming for Marissa Mayer's company
- Embattled Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has been sued over allegations she deliberately favored women over men, the
San Jose Mercury News
reports. Scott Ard claims his 2015 firing from Yahoo's media department was motivated by his gender, and Meyer's wish to see more women in leadership positions within...
Marissa Mayer Lashes Out at
Jul 25, 2016 5:36 PM CDT
Marissa Mayer Lashes Out at 'Gender-Charged' Reporting
'It's a shame'
- Marissa Mayer says coverage of her four years at the helm of Yahoo has been "gender charged." "We all see the things that only plague women leaders, like articles that focus on their appearance, like Hillary Clinton sporting a new pantsuit," she tells the
What the $4.83B
Jul 25, 2016 7:25 AM CDT
What the $4.83B Yahoo Deal Gets Verizon
A chance to stand a little taller among giants
- In its confirmation of Verizon's purchase of Yahoo's web assets , announced Monday morning, the
Wall Street Journal
describes it as a "remarkable fall" for Yahoo, once valued at more than $125 billion and now plucked up for less than 4% of that—$4.83 billion in cash....
Apr 30, 2016 9:56 AM CDT
Yahoo's Marissa Mayer Could Get $55M Parachute
And shareholders aren't necessarily happy about it
- Marissa Mayer has failed to stop Yahoo's downward spiral during more than three years with the company, so obviously the CEO is slated to receive a massive severance package worth $55 million, the AP reports. That information comes from a regulatory filing Friday and includes both stock and cash,...
Wants to Scrub
Mar 24, 2016 9:18 AM CDT
Activist Investor Wants to Scrub Entire Yahoo Board
Starboard says it's got 9 nominees to take over for floundering Internet company
- Yahoo's entire board of directors should be swapped out, per an activist investor, and the AP reports that Starboard Value is going to nominate nine new board members Thursday, ratcheting up tensions between itself and the beleaguered Internet giant. The
Wall Street Journal
says it reviewed a letter from...
Has Her Twins
Dec 10, 2015 12:00 PM CST
Marissa Mayer Has Her Twins
Yahoo CEO gives birth
- Marissa Mayer's "limited" maternity leave has begun: "Zack and I are excited to announce that our identical twin girls were born early this morning. Our whole family is doing great!" the Yahoo CEO tweeted Thursday. As Mashable notes, just yesterday Yahoo announced a big "turnaround...
Yahoo Dumps Plan
to Sell Alibaba
Dec 9, 2015 7:11 AM CST
Yahoo Dumps Plan to Sell Alibaba
Board moves instead to sell off core businesses
- In something of an abrupt about-face, Yahoo is scrapping its original plan to spin off its prized stake in China's Alibaba Group and will instead break off the rest of its business into a new company. The change of heart announced Wednesday comes after Yahoo's board met last...
Yahoo May Sell Off What
You Think of as Yahoo
Dec 2, 2015 6:42 AM CST
Yahoo May Sell Off What You Think of as Yahoo
'Wall Street Journal' reports board is considering 'core business' sale
- Yahoo's board will meet later this week to discuss selling the company lock, stock, and Alibaba, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
. The sources say that board members are worried about CEO Marissa Mayer's slow progress in turning the company around and are considering selling off Yahoo's...
Sep 1, 2015 6:12 AM CDT
Marissa Mayer Is Pregnant With Twins
She's planning another short maternity leave
- Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has just announced she's expecting identical twin girls in December, but don't expect her to be away from work long. "Since this is a unique time in Yahoo's transformation, I plan to approach the pregnancy and delivery as I did with my...
for Talking to
May 11, 2015 4:11 AM CDT
Yahoo Sues Alleged Leaker for Talking to Author
Firm says Cecile Lal was 'eager' to help with book on CEO's rise
- Yahoo doesn't like it when you spill its secrets: An ex-staffer accused of leaking information to an author chronicling Marissa Mayer's leadership is the target of a lawsuit from the company, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. According to the lawsuit, Cecile Lal, a former senior director of product...
Dec 22, 2014 10:59 AM CST
Why Yahoo Wouldn't Hire Gwyneth Paltrow
Marissa Mayer turned off by Paltrow's lack of college degree, exec tells 'NYT'
- Tucked away in a
New York Times
profile of Marissa Mayer from last week is an amusing tidbit about Gwyneth Paltrow picked up by Gawker and the
. It seems that cookbook author and lifestyle-advice purveyor Paltrow was under consideration to be hired as a contributing editor for Yahoo...
Fired Yahoo Exec Worked
18 Months, Walks With $58M
Apr 17, 2014 7:02 AM CDT
Fired Yahoo Exec Worked 18 Months, Walks With $58M
Yahoo reveals details of Henrique de Castro's severance package
- Yahoo's recently fired chief operating officer , Henrique de Castro, left the Internet company with a severance package of $58 million even though he lasted just 15 months on the job and wasn't deemed worthy of the $540,000 bonus he was eligible for in 2013. Yahoo previously disclosed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.