Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mom Throws Child From
Burning Building During
South Africa Riot
Jul 13, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
Mom Throws Child From Burning Building During South Africa Riot
Death toll hits 72 in some of the worst violence since the end of apartheid
- Days after Jacob Zuma turned himself in to start serving a 15-year-sentence, South Africa is being shaken by some of the worst violence since the end of apartheid. At least 72 people have been killed in rioting in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal provinces, many of them trampled in stampedes during looting,...
With Time Running Out,
Jacob Zuma Turns Himself In
Jul 8, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
With Time Running Out, Jacob Zuma Turns Himself In
South Africa's ex-leader is to serve a 15-month sentence
- No former South African president has ever served time following his term—until early Thursday, reports the BBC . With the clock ticking on the midnight deadline to arrest him, Jacob Zuma left his Nkandla home late Wednesday in a convoy of vehicles and turned himself in, complying with an order...
He Once Ruled South Africa.
Now, a Prison Sentence
Jun 29, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
He Once Ruled South Africa. Now, a Prison Sentence
High court finds Jacob Zuma in contempt of court in corruption case, gives him 15 months in jail
- Jacob Zuma's legal problems just worsened. Last month, the former president of South Africa pleaded not guilty to corruption, fraud, and other charges tied to a multibillion-dollar arms deal in 1999, when he was the deputy president. On Tuesday, the Constitutional Court of South Africa, the nation's highest...
One President Leaves,
Another Enters in
Feb 15, 2018 4:17 AM CST
One President Leaves, Another Enters in South Africa
Cyril Ramaphosa set to take over after Jacob Zuma's resignation
- South Africa's Cyril Ramaphosa is in charge as acting president until parliament elects a new leader Thursday afternoon following the resignation of Jacob Zuma , the government says. The 400-member parliament, dominated by the ruling African National Congress party, is expected to select Ramaphosa to finish his predecessor's term,...
Feb 14, 2018 5:13 PM CST
South Africa's President Zuma Resigns Amid Multiple Scandals
Calls to step down came from his own party
- After eight scandal-plagued years, Jacob Zuma resigned as president of South Africa on Wednesday, CNN reports. The 75-year-old Zuma was ordered to repay millions last year after using public money to fix up his home. He also faces nearly 800 allegations of corruption going back decades. His party, the African...
An Attempt to
Force Out the
Feb 13, 2018 8:03 AM CST
An Attempt to Force Out the 'Teflon President'
Ruling party wants President Jacob Zuma to step down; 'defiant' Zuma says no
- A "battle for the soul" of the African National Congress is taking place in South Africa, a political analyst tells the
, which reports the ruling party is trying to force "Teflon President" Jacob Zuma to resign—a request the "defiant" Zuma is rejecting. In what CNN...
ANC Wins 5th
May 9, 2014 5:22 PM CDT
ANC Wins 5th Election in South Africa
Jacob Zuma's party holds on, but misses two-thirds majority
- The party of President Jacob Zuma today coasted to its fifth consecutive election victory in South Africa, but missed a two-thirds majority and saw the main opposition party gain some ground, the
reports. With more than 99% of votes counted, the African National Congress had 62.2% (a 3....
Sep 1, 2013 5:27 AM CDT
Still 'Unstable,' Nelson Mandela Leaves Hospital
Home set up to handle intensive health needs
- Nelson Mandela was discharged from the hospital today while still in critical condition and was driven in an ambulance to his Johannesburg home, which has been set up to provide intensive care, South Africa's presidency said. On a sunny but cold morning, an ambulance took the anti-apartheid leader home...
Mandela Turns 95;
Said to Be Improving
Jul 18, 2013 3:20 AM CDT
Mandela Turns 95; Said to Be Improving
World celebrates with service
- It's Nelson Mandela's 95th birthday, and the anti-apartheid leader remains in the hospital—but South African President Jacob Zuma says his health is "steadily improving," the BBC reports. Mandela's daughter, Zindzi, echoed the sentiment, saying he was "making remarkable progress and we look forward...
What to Look
for as Obama
Jun 27, 2013 7:57 AM CDT
What to Look for as Obama Tours Africa
Nelson Mandela reportedly on life support
- President Obama has arrived in Senegal, the first of three countries he'll visit during his African tour—the other two being Tanzania and South Africa, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. His trip comes at a heavy moment for South Africa, the
New York Times
notes, with Nelson Mandela said...
Jun 23, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
Mandela's Condition Turns Critical
President says condition has deteriorated in past 24 hours
- The South African presidency says the health condition of Nelson Mandela has become critical. The office of President Jacob Zuma said that the president had visited the 94-year-old anti-apartheid leader this evening and was informed by the medical team that Mandela's condition had become critical in the past 24...
Mandela Again Hospitalized
With Lung Infection
Mar 28, 2013 6:45 AM CDT
Mandela Again Hospitalized With Lung Infection
Second hospitalization this month for South African leader
- Weeks after returning home from the hospital, Nelson Mandela was admitted again last night for a lung infection. South African president Jacob Zuma is calling on the world to offer its support to the 94-year-old icon, NBC News reports: "We appeal to the people of South Africa and the...
8 Cops Who Dragged Man From Truck Suspended
Mar 1, 2013 4:56 AM CST
8 Cops Who Dragged Man From Truck Suspended
South Africa's Jacob Zuma: incident 'horrific' and 'unacceptable'
- Eight South African police officers have been suspended after being caught on video dragging a man from the back of a pickup truck, Reuters reports. The station commander is set to be removed, a commissioner says. "We would like to assure the country and the world that what is...
Zuma: Mandela Has Recovered
Jan 6, 2013 7:45 AM CST
Zuma: Mandela Has Recovered
Says 94-year-old icon 'continues to improve'
- South Africa's president says that Nelson Mandela has recovered from his recent lung infection and surgical procedure to remove gallstones. South African President Jacob Zuma issued a statement today announcing that doctors say that Mandela, 94, has made "steady progress and that clinically, he continues to improve."...
Dec 9, 2012 5:59 AM CST
Nelson Mandela Hospitalized, 'Comfortable'
Jacob Zuma visits 94-year-old former president
- South Africans prayed today for the health of former President Nelson Mandela and anxiously awaited further word about the anti-apartheid leader after he was admitted to a military hospital. President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela this morning at the hospital in Pretoria and found the frail 94-year-old to be "comfortable...
South Africa Reels as
Mine Shooting Toll Hits 35
Aug 17, 2012 4:54 AM CDT
South Africa Reels as Mine Shooting Toll Hits 35
President Zuma 'shocked and dismayed' by violence
- The death toll has risen to more than 35 in yesterday's shooting of striking South African miners by police, which has become one of the deadliest confrontations since the end of apartheid, reports the
. The country's police minister says many others were injured and the toll is...
Heads to Court
May 24, 2012 12:54 AM CDT
'Obscene' Zuma Painting Case Heads to Court
It 'presents me as a womanizer, philanderer,' says South African president
- The ruling South African party is heading to court today to support President Jacob Zuma's demand that an "obscene" painting of him be censored. The painting, which was vandalized earlier this week at a Johannesburg gallery, features Zuma with his genitals exposed. It's "rude, crude, and...
Feb 26, 2012 7:39 AM CST
Mandela, 93, Home After Surgery
Nobel laureate doing 'as fine as can be at his age'
- Nelson Mandela has been released from a South African hospital after a laparoscopy "did not indicate anything seriously wrong" with the 93-year-old democracy icon, President Jacob Zuma said today in a statement. Mandela was hospitalized yesterday with an abdominal complaint, but the AP notes that Zuma's statement says...
Zulus Urged to
Switch to Fake Fur
Nov 9, 2011 5:42 AM CST
Zulus Urged to Switch to Fake Fur
Biologist looks to save endangered leopards with synthetic pelts
- A leopard can't change its spots, but can South Africa's Zulus trade their traditional leopard-pelt adornments for a cheap knockoff? For the sake of protecting the country's dwindling population of the big cats, conservation biologist Tristan Dickerson hopes they can. Dickerson has created a fake version he...
Michelle Obama, Girls
Visit Nelson Mandela
Jun 21, 2011 2:51 PM CDT
Michelle Obama, Girls Visit Nelson Mandela
Daughters, mother join her on South African trip
- Arriving in South Africa today, Michelle Obama met Nelson Mandela for the first time and said her husband was unhappy he couldn’t join them. “Michelle Obama certainly convinced the dignitaries she is excited to be here, and said her husband is 'pouty' that he isn't,”...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.