Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
276K Drivers Told
'Do Not Drive' After
3 More Air Bag Deaths
Nov 4, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
276K Drivers Told 'Do Not Drive' After 3 More Air Bag Deaths
Older Dodge, Chrysler models were recalled in 2015, but not all owners had free repairs done
- Stellantis and the US government on Thursday warned owners of 276,000 older vehicles to stop driving them after Takata air bags apparently exploded in three more vehicles, killing the drivers. The company formerly known as Fiat Chrysler is telling people to stop driving Dodge Magnum wagons, Dodge Challenger and...
New Auto Giant
Jan 18, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Merger Creates New Auto Giant Stellantis
PSA Peugeot, Fiat Chrysler combine to form world's 4th-largest car company
- Stellantis, the car company combining PSA Peugeot and Fiat Chrysler, was launched Monday on the Milan and Paris stock exchanges, giving life to the fourth-largest auto company in the world. Shareholders in both companies voted in favor of the merger earlier this month, and it became official on Saturday. Stellantis...
Automakers Close All
North American Plants
Mar 18, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Automakers Close All North American Plants
Unemployment applications soar across the country
- At the UAW's insistence, Ford, General Motors, and Fiat Chrysler decided Wednesday to close all of their plants in North America to combat the spread of the coronavirus. The plants won't restart before March 30 for Ford and GM, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. Fiat Chrysler has not...
Nov 20, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Automaker Files 'Unprecedented' Lawsuit
Fiat Chrysler is in the legal crosshairs
- General Motors is suing Fiat Chrysler, alleging that its crosstown rival got an unfair business advantage by bribing officials of the United Auto Workers union, the AP reports. The unprecedented lawsuit, filed Wednesday in US District Court in Detroit, alleges that FCA was involved in racketeering by paying millions in...
Lee Iacocca Dies at 94
Jul 3, 2019 12:34 AM CDT
Lee Iacocca Dies at 94
Auto industry giant turned around Chrysler in the '80s
- From the Mustang to the Jeep Grand Cherokee—with the Pinto, K-cars, and the minivan in between—Lee Iacocca left a mark on the American auto industry like few others. The former Ford and Chrysler chief, who became the quintessential tough-talking celebrity CEO after engineering a remarkable turnaround at the...
A New Auto
Giant May Be
May 27, 2019 11:39 AM CDT
A New Auto Giant May Be Right Around the Corner
Chrysler-Renault merger would forge the world's third-largest automaker
- Fiat Chrysler proposed on Monday to merge with France's Renault to create the world's third-biggest automaker and save billions of dollars needed to invest in the race to make new electric and autonomous vehicles, the AP reports. The merged company would reshape the global industry: It would make...
Fiat Chrysler Had
No Idea CEO
Had Been Ill
Jul 27, 2018 1:08 PM CDT
Fiat Chrysler Had No Idea CEO Had Been Ill So Long
Sergio Marchionne had been receiving treatment for 'serious illness' for more than a year
- The illness and death of Fiat Chrysler's fast-charging, unconventional CEO may have seemed sudden and surprising to many, but Sergio Marchionne was apparently sick for longer than anyone—even his employer—knew. That news comes to the
Wall Street Journal
from University Hospital Zurich, which notes Marchionne had a...
'He Saved Our Company':
Fiat Chrysler CEO Dies at 66
Jul 25, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
'He Saved Our Company': Fiat Chrysler CEO Dies at 66
Sergio Marchionne passed away after complications following shoulder surgery
- "Who the hell is this guy?" was an analyst's reaction to Sergio Marchionne when the latter joined the auto industry in 2003. Fifteen years later, Marchionne has earned a description from the
Wall Street Journal
as "one of the last larger-than-life car-maker CEOs," though that comes...
Fiat Chrysler Replaces
Gravely Ill CEO
Jul 22, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
Fiat Chrysler Replaces Gravely Ill CEO
Sergio Marchionne revived a brand many though unsalvageable
- The CEO of Fiat Chrysler has stepped down after a company statement says he suffered serious complications following a surgery. Sergio Marchionne was replaced after leading the charge to completely turn around two flagging automobile brands. Per the
New York Times
, the 66-year-old has become gravely ill since the July...
Chrysler Pacifica Owners Not
Thrilled When Power Just Dies
Nov 20, 2017 8:43 AM CST
Chrysler Pacifica Owners Not Thrilled When Power Just Dies
Fiat Chrysler, dealers can't find what's causing stalling issue customers are complaining about
- Minivans aren't exactly known for inspiring fear, but that's what's happening among Chrysler Pacifica owners, with more than 50 federal complaints filed about the vehicles suddenly stalling out while in use, leading to dangerous situations in which, luckily, no one has yet been injured. Dealers are scratching...
Like VW, Fiat Chrysler Now
in Trouble for Emissions
Jan 12, 2017 11:03 AM CST
Like VW, Fiat Chrysler Now in Trouble for Emissions
EPA accuses automaker's software of cheating on emissions levels
- Less than 24 hours ago, Fiat Chrysler was anticipating hitting its 2018 financial targets. On Thursday, the automaker came under fire from the EPA, per Reuters , with the agency alleging Fiat Chrysler cheated on diesel emissions—just a day after six Volkswagen honchos were indicted in that company's own...
Behold, the Return
of the Ford Bronco
Jan 10, 2017 12:21 PM CST
Behold, the Return of the Ford Bronco
The Ranger and Jeep Wagoneer are also coming back in wave of nostalgia
- If OJ Simpson ever gets out of prison, he could again find himself tooling slowly down a highway in a white Ford Bronco—a brand new one, reports CNN . Ford announced Monday that it's bringing back the Ranger and Bronco (last made in 1996). "Bronco will be a...
Over His Death
Aug 2, 2016 10:57 AM CDT
Anton Yelchin’s Parents Suing Over His Death
They're filing lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler, other entities
- Anton Yelchin's parents are suing Fiat Chrysler over their son's death, their lawyer has announced, reports
. The 27-year-old
actor died in June when his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled down his driveway, pinning him to a pillar; it turned out the vehicle was under recall at...
Jeep Owners Sue
for Flaw That
May Have Killed
Jun 24, 2016 7:44 AM CDT
Jeep Owners Sue for Flaw That May Have Killed
Suit claims Fiat Chrysler should have done more to remedy gear shift issue
- First came last year's hefty $105 million fine for recall lapses affecting more than 11 million vehicles. Then came the death Sunday of 27-year-old actor Anton Yelchin , whose recalled Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled and pinned him, per Jalopnik . Now Jeep Grand Cherokee owners have lobbed a class-action lawsuit against...
Chrysler Hit With Record Fine, Buyback Order
Jul 27, 2015 2:38 AM CDT
Chrysler Hit With Record Fine, Buyback Order
More than 500K Ram pickups, other vehicles part of settlement
- Fiat Chrysler must offer to buy back from customers more than 500,000 Ram pickup trucks and other vehicles in the biggest such action in US history as part of a costly deal with safety regulators to settle legal problems in about two dozen recalls. The Italian-American automaker also faces...
Chrysler Announces a
Highly Unusual Recall
Jul 24, 2015 11:27 AM CDT
Chrysler Announces a Highly Unusual Recall
1.4M cars could be vulnerable to hacker
- Here's a first in the annals of auto recalls: Fiat Chrysler is providing a fix for 1.4 million vehicles because they might be vulnerable to hackers, reports BGR . Owners of the affected cars—which all have 8.4-inch touchscreens—will apparently receive a USB dongle containing security upgrades...
Hackers Hijack a Jeep
—From 10 Miles Away
Jul 22, 2015 7:28 AM CDT
Hackers Hijack a Jeep —From 10 Miles Away
Downside of cars that resemble smartphones? Control can be grabbed
- In a stunt arranged by
, two "security researchers" hacked their way into a Jeep Cherokee carrying writer Andy Greenberg in St. Louis and, from a basement 10 miles away, took over the vehicle and steered it into a ditch. And it's not a one-off. Charlie Miller and...
2M Vehicles Recalled
Over Air Bags
Jan 31, 2015 12:01 PM CST
2M Vehicles Recalled Over Air Bags
Toyota, Chrysler, Honda models affected
- More than 2 million Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda vehicles are being recalled for a second fix for faulty air bags that may inadvertently inflate while the car is running. The recall includes some Acura MDX, Dodge Viper, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Odyssey, Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Corolla, and Toyota Avalon models...
Now Chrysler Has Its Own
Ignition Switch Problem
Jul 23, 2014 12:00 AM CDT
Now Chrysler Has Its Own Ignition Switch Problem
Older Jeeps recalled worldwide
- The ignition switch defects that engulfed General Motors are now a rapidly growing problem at Chrysler. Chrysler says it is recalling up to 792,300 older Jeep SUVs worldwide because the ignition switches could fall out of the "run" position, shutting off the engine and disabling air bags, as...
870K SUVs Over
Apr 2, 2014 8:12 AM CDT
Chrysler Recalls 870K SUVs Over Brake Defect
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango affected
- As GM wrestles with its own deadly safety concerns, Chrysler is issuing a recall of its own. The move affects nearly 870,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs over concerns that corrosion may make the vehicles' brakes harder to use. Model years 2011 through 2014 are involved. Chrysler...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.