Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Papua New Guinea
Stories 1 - 20 |
Seeing This Image
Was 'Most Surreal
Moment of My Life'
in case you missed it
Nov 26, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Seeing This Image Was 'Most Surreal Moment of My Life'
Scientists capture footage of black-naped pheasant-pigeon for first time since 1882
- The researchers had to gun it in their boat to outrun pirates after departing Fergusson Island off of Papua New Guinea. But as the BBC tells it, the likely adrenaline rush that produced may have been dwarfed by the one they experienced on the island itself. The eight-person team in...
Guy Lost at Sea for 29 Days:
'It Was a Nice Break'
Oct 8, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
Guy Lost at Sea for 29 Days: 'It Was a Nice Break'
Livae Nanjikana and a companion floated 250 miles off course
- Being lost at sea for nearly a month wouldn't be most people's idea of a good time, and it probably wasn't for Livae Nanjikana and Junior Qoloni, but it was still a respite of sorts for at least one of them. The
reports the two men...
She Was Miss
Papua New Guinea
—Until TikTok Video
Apr 7, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
She Was Miss Papua New Guinea —Until TikTok Video
Lucy Maino stripped of title after posting video of her twerking
- She posted a video of herself twerking on TikTok. That generally wouldn't have been a big deal, but for this 25-year-old, it meant the loss of a crown. Lucy Maino has been stripped of her Miss Papua New Guinea title after sharing the now-deleted video, reports the
Country Says It
Never OKed Vaccine
Given to Chinese Workers
Aug 21, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
Country Says It Never OKed Vaccine Given to Chinese Workers
Papua New Guinea bans flight carrying mining workers from China
- Papua New Guinea prevented the arrival of a flight carrying Chinese workers after a Chinese mining company claimed to have immunized employees against COVID-19 in an apparent vaccination trial, authorities said Friday. The Pacific nation's pandemic response controller, David Manning, banned COVID-19 vaccine testing or trials after Ramu NiCo...
Death and Rescue:
Group Drifts in
Pacific for 32 Days
Feb 12, 2020 9:02 AM CST
Death and Rescue: Group Drifts in Pacific for 32 Days
4 survived off rainwater, floating coconuts
- A story of death and survival has emerged out of the South Pacific: A group of 12 that departed from Papua New Guinea's Bougainville province on Dec. 22, intending to spend Christmas in the nearby Carteret Islands, never made it. The AFP reports tragedy struck en route when their...
Zac Efron Gets Sick While
Filming Eerily Named Show
Dec 30, 2019 8:35 AM CST
Zac Efron Gets Sick While Filming Eerily Named Show
Looks like actor will be OK, but he possibly got typhoid while shooting 'Killing Zac Efron'
- Zac Efron may have taken method acting a bit too far. Last month, Efron talked to
about his new reality-TV series,
Killing Zac Efron
, set to air on the Quibi short-form-content platform after it launches in April, noting, "I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances." It's...
Pacific Region Votes
Dec 11, 2019 12:40 AM CST
Pacific Region Votes Overwhelmingly for Independence
Bougainville could become world's newest country
- The South Pacific region of Bougainville voted overwhelmingly to become the world’s newest nation by gaining independence from Papua New Guinea, results showed Wednesday. Bougainville Referendum Commission Chairman Bertie Ahern, the former prime minister of Ireland, was cheered when he announced that more than 98% of valid ballots favored...
Islanders to Vote on Becoming
World's Newest Country
Nov 22, 2019 4:56 AM CST
Islanders to Vote on Becoming World's Newest Country
Bougainville expected to choose independence
- The Pacific people of Bougainville will on Saturday begin voting in a historic referendum to decide if they want to become the world’s newest nation by gaining independence from Papua New Guinea. The referendum will run over two weeks and is a key part of a 2001 peace agreement...
for a Month
May 29, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
One Country Is Banning Facebook for a Month
Papua New Guinea takes a stand against the social-media site
- Residents of Papua New Guinea may have to forget about using Facebook for a while, the
reports. The country's communication minister, Sam Basil, says his government plans to shutter the social media site for a month to cull out "fake users" and see how Facebook is affecting...
Papua New Guinea Quake
Causes 'Catastrophic Havoc'
Feb 28, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Papua New Guinea Quake Causes 'Catastrophic Havoc'
At least 15 killed in remote area
- A powerful earthquake two days ago killed at least 15 people, injured dozens, and brought work to a halt at four oil and gas fields in a remote Papua New Guinea region, the local governor said Wednesday. His comments were the first confirmation of deaths from a high-ranking official after...
New Steam in Search for
Lost Medal of Honor Recipient
Dec 25, 2017 9:33 AM CST
New Steam in Search for Lost Medal of Honor Recipient
And his 10 fellow crew members, who went down near Papua New Guinea in 1943
- A search for a US military aircraft that disappeared near Papua New Guinea during World War II is getting renewed attention ahead of the 75th anniversary of its disappearance. The B-17, nicknamed the San Antonio Rose, was flying on a mission to bomb a Japanese shipping convoy on Jan. 5,...
Australian Sub 'on Eternal
Patrol Since 1914' Is Found
Dec 21, 2017 7:09 AM CST
Australian Sub 'on Eternal Patrol Since 1914' Is Found
HMAS AE-1 found off Papua New Guinea's Duke of York Islands
- Thirteenth time's the charm. The first Allied submarine lost in World War I, and Australia's first sub lost ever, has finally been found on the 13th search mission for a vessel that vanished more than a century ago. The HMAS AE-1 was spotted by an underwater drone in...
Missing Explorer's Ordeal:
Fever, Harsh Criticism
Nov 18, 2017 7:00 AM CST
Missing Explorer's Ordeal: Fever, Harsh Criticism
Benedict Allen is no longer missing in Papua New Guinea
- Explorer Benedict Allen is no longer missing in Papua New Guinea, having been flown to the country's capital via helicopter Friday. As for what mucked with Allen's itinerary, the BBC reports he missed his flight after becoming "disorientated with fever." His agent describes it as suspected...
Missing Explorer Who Once Ate
His Dog to Survive Seen Alive
Nov 16, 2017 7:21 AM CST
Missing Explorer Who Once Ate His Dog to Survive Seen Alive
Benedict Allen not out of danger, but reportedly seen 'safe' in Papua New Guinea
- In October he tweeted "don't try to rescue me, please," as he set off for the wilds of Papua New Guinea in hopes of reconnecting with the isolated Yaifo tribe. Now a rescue is exactly what UK explorer Benedict Allen needs. His family reported him missing when...
Family Says Explorer in Search
of Lost Tribe Has Gone Missing
Nov 15, 2017 5:33 AM CST
Family Says Explorer in Search of Lost Tribe Has Gone Missing
Benedict Allen never made his flight out of Papua New Guinea
- On Oct. 11, Benedict Allen tweeted a couple of lines that now seem ominous: "Marching off to Heathrow. I may be some time (don't try to rescue me, please - where I'm going in PNG you won't ever find me you know...)." The British...
Ancient Skull Could Be
First Known Tsunami Victim
Oct 26, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
Ancient Skull Could Be First Known Tsunami Victim
Papua New Guinea was site of catastrophe 6K years ago
- An ancient skull found in Papua New Guinea is evidence of early "human interactions with catastrophic events such as tsunamis," researchers say—and in this case, the "interactions" likely involved "death by sand blasting, dismemberment, impact, and drowning." In a study published in the journal...
They Say Manus Island Was
'Hell.' Now Australia Will Pay
Jun 14, 2017 9:12 AM CDT
They Say Manus Island Was 'Hell.' Now Australia Will Pay
Country will pay $52M if deal is approved
- Australia has agreed to pay $52 million to 1,900 refugees and asylum seekers kept in one of its heavily criticized offshore detention centers, which could lead to more settlements with detainees from other camps , reports CNN . If approved by a court, the settlement will cover $20 million in legal...
Sep 22, 2016 2:15 PM CDT
Scientists Find Earth's Oldest Civilization
Indigenous Australians, Papuans can trace DNA back 50K years
- New research suggests that the title of world's oldest civilization goes to the indigenous populations of Australia and Papua New Guinea. Scientists say the DNA of these people can be traced back to an original wave of settlers from Africa more than 50,000 years ago, reports the
The Villain of
a Gold Tooth
Sep 20, 2016 8:39 AM CDT
The Villain of Pearl Harbor Might've Lost a Gold Tooth
Dick Portillo thinks he's found it
- An American history buff was leading an expedition through Papua New Guinea last year when one of his companions noticed something shiny sticking out of the mud at the site of a 1943 plane crash. It turned out to be a small gold tooth, but it wasn't the material...
Still Startle in
Dec 13, 2015 6:59 AM CST
Bizarre Mummies Still Startle in Remote Zone
Villagers in Papua New Guinea used unusual smoking process
- "Their facial expressions were cut straight out of a Hollywood scream-fest," writes Ian Lloyd Neubauer, describing 14 smoked corpses found in an indentation under a cliff above the village of Angapenga in Papua New Guinea. The remains, he writes for the BBC , were "arranged on bamboo scaffolding...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.