Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin
as Depression Treatment
Nov 3, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin as Depression Treatment
Regulatory approval could come 'potentially within a few years' time'
- One or two doses of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, has been found to help people with cancer , alcohol problems , anxiety, and depression , and now those with a severe, treatment-resistant form of depression, according to researchers. A phase 2 randomized, double-blind clinical trial involving 233 people with treatment-resistant...
After Aduhelm Debacle, New
Alzheimer's Drug Emerges
Sep 28, 2022 7:39 AM CDT
After Aduhelm Debacle, New Alzheimer's Drug Emerges
Biogen, partner Eisai: Clinical trial for lecanemab shows promising 27% slowing of cognitive decline
- Last year, the FDA approved aducanumab , marketed as Aduhelm , a controversial drug made by Biogen and its Japanese partner Eisai to treat Alzheimer's. Things didn't go well, though, with expert opposition to the costly medication and a final death blow to its place in the market after Medicare...
Hope on Horizon for Painful,
Incurable Hand Disease
May 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Hope on Horizon for Painful, Incurable Hand Disease
Known drug appears to reverse progress of early-stage Dupuytren's disease
- You probably take for granted the ability to stick your hand in your pocket, use a keyboard, and grip a steering wheel. But all this can be challenging for sufferers of a painful and incurable disease that causes fibrotic scar tissue to develop at the base of the fingers. In...
Protect You From COVID
Mar 31, 2022 6:47 AM CDT
Ivermectin Won't Protect You From COVID
Double-blind, randomized trial found it did not reduce hospitalizations even if taken early
- Treating COVID-19 patients with ivermectin did not alleviate the illness or reduce hospitalizations, according to a major double-blind, randomized clinical trial published Wednesday, which effectively rules out the anti-parasitic drug as a treatment. "There's really no sign of any benefit," Dr. David Boulware, an infectious-disease expert at...
Merck's COVID Pill Trial Went
So Well It Was Halted Early
Oct 1, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Merck's COVID Pill Trial Went So Well It Was Halted Early
Emergency use authorization could be next for antiviral drug molnupiravir after positive results
- The makers of what could be the first antiviral pill for COVID-19 said Friday that they will request emergency use authorization in the US as soon as possible. An independent board of experts monitoring the clinical trial of molnupiravir from drug-maker Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics recommended it be halted early...
Drug May Offer Hope
for Aggressive Cancer
Aug 18, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Cheap, Accessible Drug May Offer Hope for Aggressive Cancer
Researchers hope aspirin will boost immunotherapy in new clinical trial
- A trial is underway to determine whether an aggressive breast cancer might be treated with help from an inexpensive and widely available drug: aspirin. Researchers at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester, England, will test whether aspirin makes difficult-to-treat tumors more responsive to cancer-fighting drugs, as animal studies suggest,...
Pfizer, Moderna to
Add Children to Trials
Jul 26, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Pfizer, Moderna to Add Children to Trials
FDA wants more data on myocarditis
- The availability of coronavirus vaccines for younger children could be delayed, after the Food and Drug Administration asked Pfizer and Moderna to expand its trials. The agency wants to know if a rare inflammation of the heart muscle that has surfaced in young adults would more of a problem in...
Psychedelic Drug Shows Great
Promise for PTSD Sufferers
May 4, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Psychedelic Drug Shows Great Promise for PTSD Sufferers
Therapy assisted by MDMA (aka ecstasy) could be approved by 2023
- Ecstasy appears on track to become an FDA-approved prescription treatment if the results of the first Phase 3 trial on psychedelic-assisted therapy are any indication. As the
New York Times
reports, 67% of PTSD patients who were given a dose of the drug during therapy no longer qualified for a...
Drugmaker Pauses Trial
of COVID Antibody Treatment
Oct 14, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
Drugmaker Pauses Trial of COVID Antibody Treatment
Eli Lilly says it's for safety reasons, without elaborating
- Drugmaker Eli Lilly, working to come up with an antibody treatment for COVID-19, has paused its phase three clinical trials after an independent data safety monitoring board (DSMB) raised concerns. "Safety is of the utmost importance to Lilly," a company spokeswoman said in a statement Tuesday, reports CNBC...
Scientists: We've Found a
Lifesaving COVID Treatment
Jun 16, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Scientists: We've Found a Lifesaving COVID Treatment
Dexamethasone found to reduce death rates by 1/3 for patients on ventilators
- Researchers running the largest randomized, controlled trial of coronavirus treatments are heralding a "major breakthrough": the first drug shown to reduce deaths from COVID-19. Dexamethasone isn't new. Rather, it's a generic steroid widely used to reduce inflammation. But it's "the only drug that's so...
Agency Calls Off
HIV Vaccine Trial
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 8, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Agency Calls Off HIV Vaccine Trial
Results from South Africa show vaccine wasn't effective
- "An HIV vaccine is essential to end the global pandemic, and we hoped this vaccine candidate would work," a US health agency said Monday. "Regrettably, it does not." With that, the clinical trial in South Africa was shut down, CNN reports; the vaccine was not found...
Startup Bets 'Young Blood,'
Taken Literally, Fights Aging
Jan 17, 2017 8:11 AM CST
Startup Bets 'Young Blood,' Taken Literally, Fights Aging
Clinical trial underway, but you have to pay to play
- If you'd like to fill your veins with the blood of young people, you need only drain your bank account of $8,000. That's right, young blood is now joining the ever-growing ranks of "cures" people are paying for to combat age-related diseases and even aging itself....
This Party Drug
May Soon Treat
Aug 18, 2016 7:48 AM CDT
This Party Drug May Soon Treat Depression
Clinical trials on ketamine now underway
- A controversial party drug might become the first new treatment for depression in about 50 years, reports CNN . Clinical trials are underway focusing on ketamine or "Special K" and its reported ability to ease depression , particularly in those who don't respond to other treatments. Initially used as an...
Goal of Clinical
May 4, 2016 11:46 AM CDT
Goal of Clinical Trial: Reverse Human Death
Researchers hope to revive brains of the clinically dead
- Scientists are predicting "the eventual reversal of death in our lifetime," and a new clinical trial could take us one step closer to that goal. The National Institutes of Health has approved "the first trial of its kind" by US biotech company Bioquark to attempt to revive...
Volunteer in Botched
French Drug Trial Dies
Jan 17, 2016 9:05 AM CST
Volunteer in Botched French Drug Trial Dies
Man in Biotrial clinical trial had been declared brain-dead
- A French hospital says a patient has died after taking part in an experimental drug trial, and five other participants remain hospitalized. The Rennes University Hospital said in a statement that the patient, who had already been in a state of brain death , died Sunday. The statement says the hospital...
Cure for Obesity:
Jan 11, 2016 7:57 AM CST
Cure for Obesity: Freeze-Dried Poop?
Clinical trial aims to find out
- Atkins, paleo, juice cleanses … people will try most anything to shed some pounds. How about freeze-dried poop? A clinical trial set to start this year will involve 20 obese patients taking capsules filled with freeze-dried stool from healthy donors to test researchers' hunch that intestinal microbes can influence people'...
May Help Depression
Apr 12, 2015 1:00 PM CDT
Hallucinogenic Brew May Help Depression
Results from first human clinical trial of ayahuasca are promising
- A psychedelic brew from the jungles of Brazil shows promise as a treatment for depression—in fact, as a treatment for those who don't respond to more traditional medication. Researchers at the University of Sao Paulo have just published the results of the first clinical trial involving the anti-depressant...
Sep 29, 2014 5:50 PM CDT
'Unprecedented' Study: Breast Cancer Drug Prolongs Life
Perjeta gives women about 16 extra months, study says
- One of the most popular breast-cancer drugs on today's market is giving sufferers a significantly longer life, a new study says—as long as they can afford the $5,900 monthly price tag. In a clinical trial involving 808 women, those who took the drug Perjeta lived almost 16...
Pill Cuts HIV Risk
by 50% in Addicts
Jun 13, 2013 7:53 AM CDT
Pill Cuts HIV Risk by 50% in Addicts
Tenofovir can reduce risk in all populations: source
- HIV prevention among drug users has taken a huge step forward in a confirmation that retroviral treatments can cut the risk of transmission across the board: According to a major study published in the Lancet , addicts who took a daily tenofovir pill were 49% less likely to be infected with...
FDA Tweak Could Be Boon for Alzheimer's Drugs
Mar 14, 2013 10:22 AM CDT
FDA Tweak Could Be Boon for Alzheimer's Drugs
Proposal could make it easier to get early-stage drugs OKed
- Good news in the Alzheimer's arena: The FDA could ease the rules for approving new drugs to treat the disease, reports the
New York Times
. Under the proposed plan, the FDA would be able to OK drugs that returned improved results on memory or reasoning tests in clinical trials...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.