Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Gross Drunkenness at Sea'
Suspected in Deadly Collision
Dec 13, 2021 3:29 PM CST
'Gross Drunkenness at Sea' Suspected in Deadly Collision
1 crew member is killed, another missing after British, Danish ships crash
- Two people were arrested after cargo ships collided in the Baltic Sea near Sweden, causing the smaller one to capsize. The body of one crew member of the capsized Danish boat, the Karin Hoej, was found inside. The other crew member is missing. A distress call was made around 3:...
2 Years Later, a
Task Is Complete
Oct 27, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
2 Years Later, a Most 'Complicated' Task Is Complete
Coast Guard dragged away final section of Golden Ray cargo ship following 2019 capsizing
What they thought might take months actually took years—more than two, to be exact—but the Golden Ray cargo ship's last section was on Monday yanked out of St. Simons Sound, where it overturned off the coast of Georgia in September 2019. "We have completed the...
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't
Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Jul 7, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Container ship that blocked Suez Canal is finally setting sail after owners finalize deal with Egypt
- It's not clear how much of the $550 million Egypt demanded it actually got, but it was enough to spring a container ship. The Ever Given has begun its departure from the Suez Canal, where just a few months ago it created an international headache when it got stuck...
After Ship Sinks, Dead Turtles
With Throat Damage Wash Up
Jun 23, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
After Ship Sinks, Dead Turtles With Throat Damage Wash Up
A dozen dolphins have been found dead as well
- Nearly a hundred carcasses of turtles with throat and shell damage, as well as a dozen dead dolphins and a blue whale, have washed ashore in Sri Lanka since a container ship burned and sank , raising fears of a severe marine disaster. Ecologists believe the deaths were directly caused by...
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically
Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Jun 2, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Chemical leak believed to have triggered fires prior to sinking off Sri Lanka
- A chemical-laden cargo ship that burned for 13 days off the coast of Sri Lanka has now sunk, along with hundreds of tons of oil in fuel tanks, in what CNN calls "one of the worst ecological disasters in the country's history." Crews managed to put out...
Sailor Goes Home After
Years Trapped on Cargo Ship
Apr 26, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Sailor Goes Home After Years Trapped on Cargo Ship
With the captain ashore, a court declared that he was the ship's legal guardian
- The International Transport Workers Federation says cases of shipowners abandoning sailors on cargo ships are on the rise —but few cases are as egregious as that of Mohammed Aisha. The Syrian man has finally returned home after four years stranded on the Bahrain-flagged MV Aman, which was detained by...
Massive Traffic Jam
Builds Up at Suez Canal
Mar 25, 2021 6:38 AM CDT
Massive Traffic Jam Builds Up at Suez Canal
Vital waterway is still blocked by cargo ship
- A skyscraper-sized cargo ship wedged across Egypt's Suez Canal further imperiled global shipping Thursday as at least 150 other vessels needing to pass through the crucial waterway idled waiting for the obstruction to clear, authorities said. The Ever Given, a Panama-flagged ship that carries cargo between Asia and Europe,...
He Fell Overboard, Swam
Toward a Black Dot, Survived
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2021 9:00 AM CST
He Fell Overboard, Swam Toward a Black Dot, Survived
Cargo ship engineer Vidam Perevertilov was rescued 14 hours later
- A Lithuanian man has survived an incredible 14 hours in the Pacific Ocean after falling off a cargo ship during a 3,500-mile supply run. The
's chief engineer, Vidam Perevertilov, felt dizzy after a night shift in the engine room as the ship traveled from Tauranga, New...
After Cow-Laden Cargo
Ship Capsizes, a 2nd Rescue
Sep 4, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
After Cow-Laden Cargo Ship Capsizes, a 2nd Rescue
Crew member from Gulf Livestock I found alive in raft in East China Sea off Japan; 40 still missing
- Dozens of crew members and thousands of cows are missing after a cargo ship in the East China Sea was hit by a wave and capsized Wednesday near Japan, but a bit of good news emerged Friday. One crew member of the 43 aboard the doomed Gulf Livestock I had...
Survivor: Wave Took Down
Cargo Ship Packed With Cows
Sep 3, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
Survivor: Wave Took Down Cargo Ship Packed With Cows
42 crew members are missing
- Rescuers plucked a Filipino sailor from rough waters near Japan Wednesday, but 42 of his crewmates are still missing—along with almost 6,000 cows. The Japan Coast Guard says the Gulf Livestock 1 cargo ship sent out a distress call from the East China Sea west of Amami Oshima...
In Australia, Weird Case
of a Cargo Ship Stowaway
Jun 24, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
In Australia, Weird Case of a Cargo Ship Stowaway
31-year-old allegedly planned to flee Australia
- It was
a great plan. Officials say a man who's the subject of an Australian sexual assault case hatched a plan to stow away on a ship that was bound for Malaysia—and he reportedly managed to successfully conceal himself for two days. CNN reports that on Saturday...
For More Than a Year, This
'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
Feb 18, 2020 12:45 PM CST
For More Than a Year, This 'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
The MV Alta's journey has finally ended, in Ireland
- A "ghost ship" has finally struck land after more than a year traveling the world, from the Americas to Africa and Europe, without a crew. The MV Alta cargo vessel disabled some 1,380 miles southeast of Bermuda while traveling from Greece to Haiti in September 2018. The crew...
Oct 22, 2019 3:16 AM CDT
Feds Awarded North Korean Cargo Ship
Wise Honest likely to end up as scrap
- A North Korean cargo ship seized earlier this year for allegedly violating sanctions is now the property of the United States government. A federal court in New York ordered for the Wise Honest to be forfeited to the US government and for the Treasury Department to "dispose" of it,...
All That Ocean Plastic?
It Has an Unexpected Source
Oct 1, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
All That Ocean Plastic? It Has an Unexpected Source
It doesn't all come from land-based sources
- In 1984, 2009, and 2018, researchers made the trek to Inaccessible Island, which sits between Argentina and South Africa in the South Atlantic. They describe it as a "remote, uninhabited island ... that has a very high macrodebris load"—and that debris is what they were there for. In...
Coast Guard Rescues
Final Crew Member
From Capsized Ship
Sep 9, 2019 11:40 PM CDT
Coast Guard Rescues Final Crew Member From Capsized Ship
'Best day of my 16-year career'
- Coast Guard rescuers pulled four trapped men alive from a capsized cargo ship Monday, drilling into the hull's steel plates to extract the crew members more than a day after their vessel overturned while leaving a Georgia port. All four were described as alert and in relatively good condition...
One Person Remains
Trapped Behind Glass
on Capsized Ship
Sep 9, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
One Person Remains Trapped Behind Glass on Capsized Ship
3 others rescued Monday
- Coast Guard rescuers began pulling trapped crew members from a capsized cargo ship Monday, finding them alive more than a day after the vessel overturned while leaving a port on the Georgia coast, the AP reports. But the exhilaration of rescuing three South Korean crew members was tempered by the...
Missing Crew Members Are
Alive in Capsized Cargo Ship
Sep 9, 2019 1:01 PM CDT
Missing Crew Members Are Alive in Capsized Cargo Ship
Coast Guard is trying to get them out off the coast of Georgia
- Rescuers looking for four missing crew members on an overturned cargo ship tapped on the hull and heard the best possible sound in return—someone tapped back. Now the Coast Guard is working on getting the four men out, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. "The early indication is they...
North Korea Orders US
to Return Cargo Ship
May 14, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
North Korea Orders US to Return Cargo Ship
Spokesman calls seizure of ship a 'flagrant act of robbery'
- North Korea has expressed its displeasure with the US seizure of one of its cargo ships in standard North Korean fashion, denouncing the "flagrant act of robbery" and threatening unspecified consequences. "The United States committed an unlawful and outrageous act of dispossessing our cargo ship," a North...
Burning Cargo Ship Adrift
Between Japan, Hawaii
Jan 2, 2019 4:58 AM CST
Burning Cargo Ship Adrift Between Japan, Hawaii
5 crew members are feared dead
- Good Samaritan ships rescued 16 sailors after a cargo ship caught fire New Year's Eve—but four others are still in the water, another is missing, and the burning car carrier is still adrift. The Coast Guard says the Sincerity Ace, which was en route from Japan to Hawaii,...
Recording Captures Captain's
Last Words on Sinking Ship
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 8, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Recording Captures Captain's Last Words on Sinking Ship
'It's time to come this way!' El Faro captain calls to struggling man; all 33 aboard the ship died
- The cargo ship El Faro went down in a hurricane near the Bahama Islands in 2015, and none of the 33 people aboard survived. Now
is out with a gripping account of the ship's final hours, based on recordings from the bridge salvaged from the ocean floor....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Judge Disagrees With Rioter About Who the Patriots Were
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Not Impressed With Russian War Games: Irish Fishermen
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.