Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Disney, Apple Drop as
Stocks Extend Losses
Dec 6, 2022 4:05 PM CST
Disney, Apple Drop as Stocks Extend Losses
Indexes are headed for a weekly loss as traders eye Fed's next moves
- Stocks closed broadly lower on Wall Street Tuesday, extending the market's recent string of losses, as traders ponder the Federal Reserve’s next moves in its campaign to cool stubbornly hot inflation. Roughly 80% of stocks in the S&P 500 fell, leaving the benchmark index down 57.58...
Dow Drops 483 Points
After Surprisingly Strong
Dec 5, 2022 3:54 PM CST
Dow Drops 483 Points After Surprisingly Strong Economic Report
Growth in services sector could lead to more Fed rate hikes
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street, and Treasury yields rose Monday after surprisingly strong economic reports highlighted the Federal Reserve’s difficult fight against inflation. The S&P 500 fell 72.86 points, or 1.8%, to 3,998.84. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 482.78 points, or...
Dow Jumps 737 Points
After Fed Chair's Remarks
Nov 30, 2022 3:49 PM CST
Dow Jumps 737 Points After Fed Chair's Remarks
Powell says rate hikes likely to slow down
- Stocks rallied on Wall Street and major indexes ended November with their second straight month of gains after the head of the Federal Reserve said the central bank could soon ease up on its aggressive pace of interest rate hikes aimed at taming inflation. The S&P 500 rose 122....
Major Indexes Flat
as Investors Watch
Nov 29, 2022 4:11 PM CST
Major Indexes Flat as Investors Watch China Developments
Dow closed just barely in the green
- Stocks ended an unsteady day with mixed results as gains for energy companies were offset by losses in technology and other sectors. Trading was uneven Tuesday as investors closely watched developments in China and economic data amid worries about stubbornly hot inflation. The S&P 500 fell 6.31 points,...
Dow Drops 498 Points
Amid Worries About
Fallout From China Protests
Nov 28, 2022 4:14 PM CST
Dow Drops 498 Points Amid Worries About Fallout From China Protests
Tech stocks were the biggest weight on the market
- Stocks fell broadly on Wall Street Monday as protests spread in China calling for President Xi Jinping to step down amid growing anger over severe restrictions imposed as part of his "zero COVID" strategy in the world’s second-largest economy. The S&P 500 fell 62.18 points, or...
Retailers Were Big Winners
on Wall Street Tuesday
Nov 22, 2022 3:48 PM CST
Retailers Were Big Winners on Wall Street Tuesday
Best Buy jumps 12.7% after strong earnings reports
- Stocks rose on Wall Street and solid earnings helped jolt a mix of retailers higher ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday. The S&P 500 rose 53.64 points, or 1.4%, to 4,003.58 Tuesday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 397.82 points, or 1.2%, to 34,...
Target, Other Retailers
Weigh Down Markets
Nov 16, 2022 3:52 PM CST
Target, Other Retailers Weigh Down Markets
Target drops 13.1% after dismal financial report
- Wall Street closed lower on Wednesay as hefty drops in retailers and technology companies offset gains elsewhere in the market. The S&P 500 fell 32.94 points, or 0.8%, to 3,958.79. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 39.09 points, or 0.1%, to 33,553....
Wall Street's Gains
Tempered by Ukraine Worries
Nov 15, 2022 3:59 PM CST
Wall Street's Gains Tempered by Ukraine Worries
Markets remained shaky despite cooling inflation
- Stocks are closed higher on Wall Street Tuesday, boosted by more signs the nation’s high inflation may be falling off faster than expected. But a flare-up of worries about the war in Ukraine kept Wall Street shaky and undercut much of its big morning gains, the AP reports. The...
Hasbro Was Monday's
Biggest Loser in the S&P 500
Nov 14, 2022 3:30 PM CST
Hasbro Was Monday's Biggest Loser in the S&P 500
It fell almost 10% amid 'Magic: The Gathering' worries
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street, easing back after posting a big gain last week on hopes that the worst of the nation’s inflation may finally have passed. The S&P 500 fell 35.68 points, or 0.9%, to 3,957.25 Monday after drifting between gains and...
Wall Street Has the
Nov 9, 2022 3:41 PM CST
Wall Street Has the Post-Election Blues
Dow drops 647 points, cryptocurrencies plummet
- Wall Street closed sharply lower Wednesday, giving back a big chunk of the gains built in a three-day rally running up to Election Day. The S&P 500 fell 79.54 points, or 2.1%, to 3,748.57. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 646.89 points, or 2%,...
Wall Street's Rally
Continues on Election Day
Nov 8, 2022 3:44 PM CST
Wall Street's Rally Continues on Election Day
Investors may be betting on gridlock in DC
- Election Day brought another rise for Wall Street, with stocks climbing Tuesday for a third straight day. The S&P 500 rose 21.31 points, or 0.6%, to 3,828.11, though it flipped between an even bigger gain and a modest loss to get there. The Dow Jones...
Stocks Rise as Investors
Look Ahead to Election
Nov 7, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Stocks Rise as Investors Look Ahead to Election
Investors are anticipating split government, analysts say
- Stocks rose on the eve of Election Day as Wall Street looked ahead to the benefits of a possibly split government in Washington, though trading is likely to stay bumpy in a week full of events that could shake the market. The S&P 500 rose 36.25 points, or...
Dow Drops 505 Points
After Fed Chief's Remarks
Nov 2, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Dow Drops 505 Points After Fed Chief's Remarks
Powell signals that rate hikes will continue
- Stocks closed broadly lower on Wall Street Wednesday after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell signaled that the central bank will eventually need to bring rates higher than previously anticipated in order to tame the worst inflation in decades. The Fed also announced its fourth straight extra-large rate increase of three-quarters...
Stocks Drop After
Latest Job Market Report
Nov 1, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Stocks Drop After Latest Job Market Report
'The labor market is still too tight for the Fed'
- Stocks gave up early gains and ended lower on Wall Street after an unexpectedly strong report on the job market raised concerns that the Federal Reserve will need to keep the pressure on inflation with aggressive interest rate increases. The S&P 500 fell 0.4% after having been up...
Dow Just Had Its
Best Month Since 1976
Oct 31, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Dow Just Had Its Best Month Since 1976
But major indexes dipped on Monday
- Stocks ended lower on Wall Street Monday, but major indexes still wound up with big gains for October, including the best month for the Dow Jones Industrial Average since 1976. The broader S&P 500, the benchmark for many index funds, had its first monthly gain since July, as did...
Tech Giants Drop After
Reporting Weak Earnings
Oct 26, 2022 3:58 PM CDT
Tech Giants Drop After Reporting Weak Earnings
Google's parent company slumped 9.1%
- Stock ended mixed on Wall Street on Wednesday as investors weighed the latest batch of earnings reports, including weak results from several heavyweight technology companies. The S&P 500 fell 28.51 points, or 0.7%, to 3,830.60. The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended just barely in the...
Adidas Drops 2.4%
After Dumping Ye
Oct 25, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
Adidas Drops 2.4% After Dumping Ye
Dow rises 337 points as corporate earnings roll in
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street, marking the third straight gain for the S&P 500. The benchmark hadn’t been able to string together more than two gains in a row since mid-September. The gains Tuesday came as the flow of company earnings reports stepped up. The S&P...
Stocks Rise as Tech Giants
Prepare to Report Earnings
Oct 24, 2022 3:42 PM CDT
Stocks Rise as Tech Giants Prepare to Report Earnings
In China, markets didn't welcome Xi Jinping's third term
- Stocks shook off an early bout of unsettled trading Monday and ended higher ahead of a heavy week of earnings from big tech companies. The S&P 500 rose 44.59 points, or 1.2%, to 3,797.34. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 417.06 points, or 1....
After 2 Days of Gains,
Wall St. Changes Course
Oct 19, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
After 2 Days of Gains, Wall St. Changes Course
Dow sheds 100 points
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street Wednesday, reversing course after two days of gains. Major indexes are still higher for the week despite the declines, which pulled every sector lower except energy. Treasury yields continue to climb to multiyear highs, tempting investors with higher returns on relatively low-risk investments. Several...
Strong Lockheed Martin
Earnings Lift Defense Stocks
Oct 18, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Strong Lockheed Martin Earnings Lift Defense Stocks
Indexes rose for a second day in a row
- Stocks rose on Wall Street Tuesday, adding to weekly gains for major indexes that have been mired in a broad slump amid inflation and recession concerns. The S&P 500 rose 42.03 points, or 1.1%, to 3,719.98. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 337.98 points,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.