Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
to Correct Slight
to Female Justices
Oct 14, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Supreme Court Changes Format to Correct Slight to Female Justices
They were being interrupted more than their male colleagues
- The Supreme Court is only days into its new term, but there's already been a marked change. As CNN reports, "even in contentious cases, the justices haven't cut each other off—something that often occurred in past terms." That's the result of a change to...
Blue Origin Staff
Oct 1, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Current, Former Blue Origin Staff Pen Scathing Essay
Former comms chief says Jeff Bezos' company ignores safety concerns
- "Blue Origin's culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism, is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs." So claim 21 current and former employees of Jeff Bezos' spaceflight company...
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
Game Developer Was Attacked
Mercilessly, Turns Merciful
Aug 6, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
Game Developer Was Attacked Mercilessly, Turns Merciful
Brianna Wu, a prime target of GamerGate, speaks out about forgiveness
- As a female game developer who spoke out publicly against sexism in the industry a few years back, Brianna Wu received torrents—and we mean torrents—of threats and abuse online. Now the
reports that Wu is forcing a different kind of conversation, one about forgiving the trolls...
TCM Is 'Reframing' These
18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Mar 5, 2021 8:33 AM CST
TCM Is 'Reframing' These 18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Network to reexamine films like 'Psycho,' 'Gunga Din' with new historical, cultural context
- As cries of "cancel culture" swirl around changes within the Dr. Seuss and Potato Head spheres, Turner Classic Movies is now reexamining a portfolio of timeless films that it says contain "troubling and problematic" aspects. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that throughout March, the network will screen 18...
Japan's Ruling Party:
Women Can Look, But
Not Talk, at Meetings
Feb 18, 2021 12:43 AM CST
Japan's Ruling Party: Women Can Look, But Not Talk, at Meetings
Attempt to address sexism backfires
- Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party has proposed allowing more women to attend its male-dominated meetings—but it doesn't want them to say anything. Toshihiro Nikai, the party's 82-year-old secretary general, said this week that five female lawmakers should be invited to observe the meetings in order to...
Feb 11, 2021 7:42 AM CST
Another Blow to Troubled Tokyo Olympics
Olympics chief Yoshiro Mori expected to resign over sexist remarks
- The chief of the postponed Tokyo Olympics is apparently feeling the pressure, because after refusing to resign for sexist comments he made on Feb. 3, he's now expected to call it quits. Former Japanese prime minister Yoshiro Mori, 83, is expected to resign during a Friday meeting of the...
Step Down After
Feb 4, 2021 8:55 AM CST
Tokyo Olympics Chief Won't Step Down After Sexist Remarks
Yoshiro Mori apologized for saying meetings with too many women 'drag on,' but he won't resign
- Anyone upset by sexist remarks made earlier this week by the head of the organizing committee for the Tokyo Olympics might be glad to know he's now apologizing—but don't expect much more than that. "I will not be stepping down," former Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro...
Actress 'Couldn't Believe' the
Review She Got. It Wasn't Good
Jan 28, 2021 12:38 PM CST
Actress 'Couldn't Believe' the Review She Got. It Wasn't Good
Carey Mulligan speaks out against 'Variety' film review criticizing her looks
- Carey Mulligan was participating in a video series for
this week when she took the opportunity to call out the magazine itself. The actress suggested a review of her new movie,
Promising Young Woman
, published as the film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival a year ago, was evidence...
Does He Live In?
Jan 15, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Filipinas After Duterte Remarks: 'Which Cave' Does He Live In?
Leader of the Philippines says the presidency 'is not for women' amid rumors of a run by his daughter
- Women in the Philippines aren't terribly happy with their president after remarks made on the possibility of a female leader one day taking his place. In short, Rodrigo Duterte doesn't think it's a good idea, and Filipinas are calling him out on sexism and misogyny for saying...
Lay Out Skivvies
for Your Husband
Jan 11, 2021 9:10 AM CST
Seoul's Advice for Moms-to-Be: Lay Out Skivvies for Your Husband
City government slammed for sexist guidelines on expectant moms' looks, weight, spousal care
- Everyone knows pregnant women don't especially love being told to keep their weight in check and always look their best, especially right after giving birth. Except, apparently, the city government in Seoul, which is seeing backlash for posting advice for expectant mothers that's being called antiquated and sexist....
She Accused Mayor of Sexual
Assault, Got All the Punishment
Dec 9, 2020 10:30 AM CST
She Accused Mayor of Sexual Assault, Got All the Punishment
Japanese councilwoman Shoko Arai says expulsion—her 2nd—is 'unjust'
- The sole female councilor in Kusatsu, Japan, has been forced out of her seat after residents decided her sexual assault claim against the mayor had damaged the town's reputation. Now, officials worry the decision has put a black mark on the town on the international stage. Shoko Arai, 51,...
Dictionary Changes Its
Definition of 'Woman'
Nov 8, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Dictionary Changes Its Definition of 'Woman'
But Oxford Dictionaries clings to the notion that the 'b-word' means 'woman'
- Oxford University Press has amended its dictionaries after a pressure campaign alleged "derogatory" and "sexist" definitions of the word "woman," the
reports. Among the changes to Oxford Dictionaries: A woman is now listed as "a person's wife, girlfriend, or female lover" instead of...
Cast as 007,
Nov 7, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Lashana Lynch: Cast as 007, I Received Awful 'Abuse'
The British actress says she had to go into seclusion
- Lashana Lynch says a barrage of nasty comments came her way when news broke of her upcoming "007" role in
No Time to Die
, E! Online reports. The 32-year-old tells
Harper's Bazaar UK
she had to ditch her social-media apps, see only family, and meditate for a week...
Pastor Admits He Wrote
Scathing Email to Journalist
Sep 17, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Pastor Admits He Wrote Scathing Email to Journalist
Rev. Dave Muns says he 'just caved,' but Sarah Jeong isn't accepting his apology
- A Michigan pastor admits he crossed the line by unloading on a journalist from his church email account, the
Detroit Metro Times
reports. "How about if we took all the little bitter Asian woman and had a lottery and cut their [explicit] like the Muslims do," Rev. Dave...
NBA to Photog
Aug 16, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
NBA to Photog Who Posted Harris Meme: You're Fired
Bill Baptist apologized, but it was too late
- An NBA photographer is out of a job after sharing a sexist meme that apparently mocked Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, CNN reports. The photog, Bill Baptist, posted a faux logo for the Democratic ticket that read, "Joe and the Hoe." Former WNBA Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes...
Colorful Dress to
Work, Scoffs at Flak
Aug 7, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lawmaker Wears Colorful Dress to Work, Scoffs at Flak
South Korea's youngest lawmaker, Ryu Ho-jeong, says she wanted to 'shatter tradition' of dark suits
- The "pink dress effect" has consumed South Korean politics after the country's youngest member of the National Assembly wore a colorful wrap dress this week to a parliamentary session, and she's got both supporters and detractors. The
South China Morning Post
—which deems the short dress...
Top Writer Gets
Jul 11, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Tucker Carlson's Top Writer Gets Outed Over Secret Posts
Blake Neff resigned after his online remarks came to light
- Tucker Carlson's top writer has quit after posting bigoted comments on an online forum known for its offensive content, CNN Business reports. The writer, Blake Neff, was using a pseudonym on AutoAdmit—a mostly unmoderated board where sexism and racism run rampant—to pepper in his share of intolerant...
'I Had to Pay
Pile Up at
Jun 21, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
'I Had to Pay That Whore': Accusations Pile Up at CrossFit
Ex-CEO Greg Glassman allegedly stoked sexual harassment at the company
- Former CrossFit CEO Greg Glassman resigned the other day amid accusations of racism—which surprised former employees who figured he'd quit for another reason. Eight of them tell the
New York Times
that Glassman had fueled a company culture of sexism and sexual harassment: "There was a constant...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
Hospital Boosts Security After Bizarre NICU Incident
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.