Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 27, 2023 11:23 AM CDT
SCOTUS Allows Construction on Disputed Pipeline
Court lifts stay, allowing work on the Mountain Valley Pipeline to resume
- The Supreme Court on Thursday allowed construction to resume on a contested natural-gas pipeline that is being built through Virginia and West Virginia, per the AP . Work on the Mountain Valley Pipeline had been blocked by the federal appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, even after Congress ordered the project's...
Yacht, Divers Suspected
in Pipeline Sabotage
Jul 12, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Yacht, Divers Suspected in Pipeline Sabotage
Theory emerges in investigation update
- German investigators have found traces of explosives on a yacht possibly hired to transport material used to blow up the Nord Stream gas pipelines last year. Denmark, Sweden, and Germany are separately investigating the September attack, with Germany focusing on a yacht that six people reportedly hired from a Ukrainian-owned...
US Officials Offer Hint on
Nord Stream Pipeline Attacks
Mar 8, 2023 8:55 AM CST
US Officials Offer Hint on Nord Stream Pipeline Attacks
Signs point to pro-Ukraine group, though details are murky and skepticism remains
- Russia and Western nations have been pointing the finger at each other since last September, when a series of leaks sprung up in the Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea, carrying gas from Russia to Germany. Now, a possible clue toward solving what the
New York Times
New Leak Found in
Nord Stream Pipeline
Sep 29, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
New Leak Found in Nord Stream Pipeline
Russia says it could be state 'terrorism'
- The Swedish coast guard says another leak has been detected in the Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea, bringing the total to four. Coast guard spokesperson Mattias Lindholm said the leaks are in the same sector, the
reports. Two more leaks have been found in Danish waters. Leaks...
2 Blasts Were Detected
Before Baltic Pipeline Leaks
Sep 27, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
2 Blasts Were Detected Before Baltic Pipeline Leaks
Authorities say it was sabotage, but it's not clear who was behind it
- Denmark said Tuesday it believed "deliberate actions" by unknown perpetrators were behind big leaks , which seismologists said followed powerful explosions, in two natural gas pipelines running under the Baltic Sea from Russia to Germany. European leaders and experts pointed to possible sabotage amid the energy standoff with Russia provoked...
Hit by Sudden Leaks
Sep 27, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
2 Major Russian Pipelines Hit by Sudden Leaks
No one's quite sure yet what caused the issues to Nord Stream 1, 2, running from Russia to Germany
- Two major Russian gas pipelines have both sprung leaks. That's the word from German and Danish authorities on the Nord Stream 1 and 2, both of which saw a sudden drop in pressure on Monday, per the
New York Times
. A release from Nord Stream AG announced the pressure...
Feb 7, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Biden: Invasion Threatens Pipeline
4 nations' leaders confer about Ukraine crisis in 2 meetings
- In a flurry of diplomacy across two continents, President Biden emerged from a meeting with Germany's new leader Monday vowing the crucial Nord Stream 2 Russia-to-Germany gas pipeline would be blocked if Russia further invades Ukraine. Russian President Vladimir Putin said the US and its allies were the only...
South's Gas Shortage
Spawns a Brawl
May 12, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
South's Gas Shortage Spawns a Brawl
Motorist records brawl after woman apparently tries to cut long line in NC, which didn't go over well
- Tensions over a gas shortage boiled over into a brawl this week at a North Carolina gas station. After a cyberattack on Friday against the Colonial Pipeline, which delivers about 45% of the fuel sent to the East Coast, industry analysts warned gas prices could rise if the pipeline wasn'...
Biden's To-Do List for First
Day Just Got a New Addition
Jan 18, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Biden's To-Do List for First Day Just Got a New Addition
Sources say he'll yank the Keystone XL permit via executive action as soon as he takes office
- On Saturday, a memo from incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain to senior staff laid out dozens of executive orders that President-elect Biden is expected to sign within the first few days of his term. Not listed among them, per Politico : a plan to pull the permit for...
Saboteurs Cut Off Aspen's Heat
Dec 29, 2020 3:27 PM CST
Saboteurs Cut Off Aspen's Heat
Gas lines were shut down at 3 sites
- Somebody shut off gas lines to Aspen, Colorado Saturday night, leaving thousands of people without heat in what police called a coordinated attack. "They tampered with flow lines. They turned off gas lines," a police official said. Utility officials said about 3,500 customers lost service, ABC reports....
Gas Line Explodes
Near Mosque, Killing 16
Sep 5, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Gas Line Explodes Near Mosque, Killing 16
Dozens of injuries also reported after blast in Bangladesh
- An underground gas pipeline near a mosque exploded during evening prayers outside Bangladesh's capital, leaving 16 Muslim worshipers dead and dozens injured with critical burns, officials say. The blast occurred Friday night as people were finishing their prayers at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque at Narayanganj, per a local police...
This Is the 3rd Big
Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
Jul 7, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
This Is the 3rd Big Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
US Supreme Court deals blow to Keystone oil pipeline project
- The US Supreme Court handed another setback to the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline from Canada on Monday by keeping in place a lower court ruling that blocked a key environmental permit for the project, the AP reports. Canadian company TC Energy needs the permit to continue building the long-disputed...
A Stunning Reversal
on Big Pipeline
Jul 6, 2020 1:21 AM CDT
A Stunning Reversal on Big Pipeline
Atlantic Coast Pipeline is no longer happening
- The companies looking to build the controversial Atlantic Coast Pipeline have abandoned the $8 billion project, a stunning reversal that got this reaction out of a senior attorney for the Southern Environment Law Center: "Wow! Wow!" Dominion Energy and Duke Energy partnered on the 600-mile-long, 42-inch-wide natural gas...
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great
Time' to Build Pipeline.
May 26, 2020 8:13 AM CDT
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great Time' to Build Pipeline. Environmentalists Fume
Sonya Savage, energy minister in Alberta, Canada, says pandemic is keeping large protests at bay
- There just might be a silver lining to the coronavirus pandemic: There can't be any huge protests against pipelines being built. That's the take of a conservative Canadian politician, anyway, and it's one that's now getting some pushback. Per the Canadian Press , Sonya Savage, Alberta's...
Night Turned Into
'Like an Atomic
Bomb Went Off'
Aug 1, 2019 11:32 AM CDT
Night Turned Into Morning. Then, 'Like an Atomic Bomb Went Off'
One dead, 5 injured, 7 missing after pipeline explosion near Junction City, Ky.
- A regional gas pipeline ruptured early Thursday in Kentucky, causing a massive explosion that killed one person, hospitalized five others, destroyed railroad tracks, and forced the evacuation of a nearby mobile home park, authorities said. Some structures were completely consumed by the blaze, and five to seven people were unaccounted...
Oil Firm Says They
Fuel. Then, a
Jan 19, 2019 5:29 AM CST
Oil Firm Says They Were Stealing Fuel. Then, a Giant Fireball
Pipeline explosion kills 66, injures dozens in Tlahuelilpan, Mexico
- A massive fireball that engulfed people scooping up fuel spilling from a pipeline ruptured by thieves in central Mexico killed 66 people and left 85 others missing in what was a chronicle of a tragedy foretold. It came just three weeks after new President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador launched an...
Reading Was Way Off Before
Massachusetts Gas Explosions
Sep 18, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
Reading Was Way Off Before Massachusetts Gas Explosions
Per a letter from Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Edward Markey to Columbia Gas
- The pressure in natural gas pipelines prior to a series of explosions and fires in Massachusetts last week was 12 times higher than it should have been, according to a letter from the state's US senators to executives of the utility in charge of the pipelines. Sens. Elizabeth Warren...
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline
by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Jul 20, 2017 12:54 PM CDT
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Natural gas pipeline would go through land they consider sacred
- The sisters of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ order own land in Lancaster County, Penn., that they consider sacred. Now Williams, an energy company, wants to run a gas pipeline through that land—and the nuns have constructed a chapel on the grounds, in the middle of a...
Ala. Gas Pipeline
Reopens After Explosion
Nov 6, 2016 9:39 AM CST
Ala. Gas Pipeline Reopens After Explosion
Service to New York City restarted early Sunday
- The company that owns a gasoline pipeline that exploded in Alabama last week says the pipeline is back in service. Colonial Pipeline Co. says service was restarted at 5:45am Sunday, reports the AP . The pipeline transports gasoline from the Gulf Coast to New York City. It exploded Monday while...
for Gas-Price Spike
Sep 16, 2016 12:17 PM CDT
Southeast Braces for Gas-Price Spike
Thanks to major spill that shut down part of Texas-to-NY pipeline
- In what's being called a supply "red alert," a part of the Colonial Pipeline that transports gas from Houston to New York—serving about 50 million people in 13 states daily, per CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
—has been shut down since Sept. 9, when...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.