Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 7, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Biden: Invasion Threatens Pipeline
4 nations' leaders confer about Ukraine crisis in 2 meetings
- In a flurry of diplomacy across two continents, President Biden emerged from a meeting with Germany's new leader Monday vowing the crucial Nord Stream 2 Russia-to-Germany gas pipeline would be blocked if Russia further invades Ukraine. Russian President Vladimir Putin said the US and its allies were the only...
South's Gas Shortage
Spawns a Brawl
May 12, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
South's Gas Shortage Spawns a Brawl
Motorist records brawl after woman apparently tries to cut long line in NC, which didn't go over well
- Tensions over a gas shortage boiled over into a brawl this week at a North Carolina gas station. After a cyberattack on Friday against the Colonial Pipeline, which delivers about 45% of the fuel sent to the East Coast, industry analysts warned gas prices could rise if the pipeline wasn'...
Biden's To-Do List for First
Day Just Got a New Addition
Jan 18, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Biden's To-Do List for First Day Just Got a New Addition
Sources say he'll yank the Keystone XL permit via executive action as soon as he takes office
- On Saturday, a memo from incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain to senior staff laid out dozens of executive orders that President-elect Biden is expected to sign within the first few days of his term. Not listed among them, per Politico : a plan to pull the permit for...
Saboteurs Cut Off Aspen's Heat
Dec 29, 2020 3:27 PM CST
Saboteurs Cut Off Aspen's Heat
Gas lines were shut down at 3 sites
- Somebody shut off gas lines to Aspen, Colorado Saturday night, leaving thousands of people without heat in what police called a coordinated attack. "They tampered with flow lines. They turned off gas lines," a police official said. Utility officials said about 3,500 customers lost service, ABC reports....
Gas Line Explodes
Near Mosque, Killing 16
Sep 5, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Gas Line Explodes Near Mosque, Killing 16
Dozens of injuries also reported after blast in Bangladesh
- An underground gas pipeline near a mosque exploded during evening prayers outside Bangladesh's capital, leaving 16 Muslim worshipers dead and dozens injured with critical burns, officials say. The blast occurred Friday night as people were finishing their prayers at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque at Narayanganj, per a local police...
This Is the 3rd Big
Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
Jul 7, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
This Is the 3rd Big Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
US Supreme Court deals blow to Keystone oil pipeline project
- The US Supreme Court handed another setback to the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline from Canada on Monday by keeping in place a lower court ruling that blocked a key environmental permit for the project, the AP reports. Canadian company TC Energy needs the permit to continue building the long-disputed...
A Stunning Reversal
on Big Pipeline
Jul 6, 2020 1:21 AM CDT
A Stunning Reversal on Big Pipeline
Atlantic Coast Pipeline is no longer happening
- The companies looking to build the controversial Atlantic Coast Pipeline have abandoned the $8 billion project, a stunning reversal that got this reaction out of a senior attorney for the Southern Environment Law Center: "Wow! Wow!" Dominion Energy and Duke Energy partnered on the 600-mile-long, 42-inch-wide natural gas...
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great
Time' to Build Pipeline.
May 26, 2020 8:13 AM CDT
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great Time' to Build Pipeline. Environmentalists Fume
Sonya Savage, energy minister in Alberta, Canada, says pandemic is keeping large protests at bay
- There just might be a silver lining to the coronavirus pandemic: There can't be any huge protests against pipelines being built. That's the take of a conservative Canadian politician, anyway, and it's one that's now getting some pushback. Per the Canadian Press , Sonya Savage, Alberta's...
Night Turned Into
'Like an Atomic
Bomb Went Off'
Aug 1, 2019 11:32 AM CDT
Night Turned Into Morning. Then, 'Like an Atomic Bomb Went Off'
One dead, 5 injured, 7 missing after pipeline explosion near Junction City, Ky.
- A regional gas pipeline ruptured early Thursday in Kentucky, causing a massive explosion that killed one person, hospitalized five others, destroyed railroad tracks, and forced the evacuation of a nearby mobile home park, authorities said. Some structures were completely consumed by the blaze, and five to seven people were unaccounted...
Oil Firm Says They
Fuel. Then, a
Jan 19, 2019 5:29 AM CST
Oil Firm Says They Were Stealing Fuel. Then, a Giant Fireball
Pipeline explosion kills 66, injures dozens in Tlahuelilpan, Mexico
- A massive fireball that engulfed people scooping up fuel spilling from a pipeline ruptured by thieves in central Mexico killed 66 people and left 85 others missing in what was a chronicle of a tragedy foretold. It came just three weeks after new President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador launched an...
Reading Was Way Off Before
Massachusetts Gas Explosions
Sep 18, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
Reading Was Way Off Before Massachusetts Gas Explosions
Per a letter from Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Edward Markey to Columbia Gas
- The pressure in natural gas pipelines prior to a series of explosions and fires in Massachusetts last week was 12 times higher than it should have been, according to a letter from the state's US senators to executives of the utility in charge of the pipelines. Sens. Elizabeth Warren...
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline
by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Jul 20, 2017 12:54 PM CDT
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Natural gas pipeline would go through land they consider sacred
- The sisters of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ order own land in Lancaster County, Penn., that they consider sacred. Now Williams, an energy company, wants to run a gas pipeline through that land—and the nuns have constructed a chapel on the grounds, in the middle of a...
Ala. Gas Pipeline
Reopens After Explosion
Nov 6, 2016 9:39 AM CST
Ala. Gas Pipeline Reopens After Explosion
Service to New York City restarted early Sunday
- The company that owns a gasoline pipeline that exploded in Alabama last week says the pipeline is back in service. Colonial Pipeline Co. says service was restarted at 5:45am Sunday, reports the AP . The pipeline transports gasoline from the Gulf Coast to New York City. It exploded Monday while...
for Gas-Price Spike
Sep 16, 2016 12:17 PM CDT
Southeast Braces for Gas-Price Spike
Thanks to major spill that shut down part of Texas-to-NY pipeline
- In what's being called a supply "red alert," a part of the Colonial Pipeline that transports gas from Houston to New York—serving about 50 million people in 13 states daily, per CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
—has been shut down since Sept. 9, when...
Al Gore's Daughter
Arrested in Boston Protest
Jul 1, 2016 2:00 AM CDT
Al Gore's Daughter Arrested in Boston Protest
Karenna Gore is facing charges of resisting arrest, trespassing, disturbing the peace
- Karenna Gore, the oldest daughter of Al Gore, was arrested along with 22 other activists during a protest Wednesday in Boston, Grist reports. The group was protesting a pipeline being built by Spectra Energy that will move fracked gas through a Boston neighborhood. According to WCVB , Gore, a mother of...
Below Our Feet
Sep 24, 2014 1:48 PM CDT
Investigation: There's Danger Below Our Feet
Leaks from aging gas pipes kill, injure, or destroy nearly every other day
- Old metal gas pipes pose deadly leak dangers across the US—yet we still have tens of thousands of miles of them under our feet,
reports. The threat may seem small, but in fact, blasts from leaks have hurt or killed people or damaged property approximately every two...
How Gas Leaks Can
Blow Up Buildings
Mar 12, 2014 3:55 PM CDT
How Gas Leaks Can Blow Up Buildings
Harlem explosion is proof of wider problem, experts say
- Gas-leak explosions are devastating enough to destroy entire buildings, as we saw this morning in Harlem —and experts tell
just how it can happen. It's not uncommon for underground pipes to leak gas that gets trapped under several inches of frost in winter and moves sideways,...
Over US Threats, Pakistan, Iran Push for Gas Pipeline
Mar 11, 2013 2:04 PM CDT
Over US Threats, Pakistan, Iran Push for Gas Pipeline
Presidents meet to inaugurate project
- Pakistan is starting work on a gas pipeline to Iran, a long-planned project that the US says threatens anti-nuclear sanctions against Tehran. Iran has nearly finished its own section of the pipeline; today, presidents Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Asif Ali Zardari attended a border ceremony. Some 485 miles of pipeline are...
$10B Pipeline to Syria
Nov 19, 2012 3:47 AM CST
Iran Building $10B Pipeline to Syria
It will be completed next year, news agency claims
- In a sign that international sanctions must be biting hard, Iran has announced a plan to revitalize its energy sector—with a pipeline to war-torn Syria. Semi-official news agency Fars says work on the 750-mile natural gas pipeline, which will pass through Iraq, has already begun, the AP reports. The...
Things Congress Talks About:
Feb 8, 2012 3:36 PM CST
Things Congress Talks About: Caribou Sex
Texas' Louie Gohmert says Alaskan pipeline is hot date meet-up
- A Texas Republican congressman is adamant in his backing of the trans-Alaska pipeline, but not because of silly energy independence. No, we must keep the oil flowing for the sake of ... caribou romance. So argued Rep. Louie Gohmert, tongue perhaps in cheek, during a meeting of the House Natural Resources...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.