Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chat in Workplace Bathroom
May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Jun 29, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
Chat in Workplace Bathroom May Have Saved 2 Men's Lives
Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush each gave up one of their own kidneys
- A chance conversation in a workplace restroom led to a happy ending for two men in desperate need of new kidneys. That meeting took place in August 2020 in a bathroom at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Co-workers Susan Ellis and Tia Wimbush had learned in 2019 that their husbands...
2 Days After Wedding, Bride
Gives Kidney to Husband's Ex
Jun 1, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
2 Days After Wedding, Bride Gives Kidney to Husband's Ex
Debby Neal-Strickland and Mylaen Merthe are now 'kidney sisters'
- Ten years after their first date, Debby Neal-Strickland put on a cream-colored lace gown and married her longtime sweetheart at their Florida church. Two days later, she put on a hospital gown and donated a kidney to Mylaen Merthe—her new husband’s ex-wife, per the AP . Mylaen, 59, had...
A 'New Category' of
May 2, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
A 'New Category' of Transplant Patients Is Emerging
COVID is leaving formerly healthy people with destroyed lungs
- Another gloomy sidebar to the COVID story: the fact that the illness is giving rise to what one doctor calls "a completely new category of transplant patients." NBC News charts the evolution of thought about giving new lungs or hearts to patients who have seen those organs essentially...
A Flickering Heart
Jan 28, 2021 1:09 PM CST
A Flickering Heart Doesn't Mean You're Alive
In one case, cardiac activity was observed more than 4 minutes after pulse was lost
- There can be no question that a person has died and still, their heart may flicker. That's one takeaway from a new study analyzing the final moments of 631 patients taken off life support in Canada, the UK, and the Czech Republic. Researchers were particularly interested to learn "...
Rule Change Gives New Hope
to People Waiting for an Organ
Nov 23, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Rule Change Gives New Hope to People Waiting for an Organ
Feds says 'broken' system is being improved
- The Trump administration's legacy will include a more efficient organ donation system that could save thousands of lives, under a new rule issued by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicaid services . The rule changes the way organ procurement organizations—federally funded nonprofit groups that collect organs from donors and...
Husband and Wife Save a Life,
15 Years Apart
Jun 23, 2020 11:35 AM CDT
Husband and Wife Save a Life, 15 Years Apart
Both donated organs to Florida's Jeffrey Granger
- It's an organ donor story with an unusual twist: A husband and wife ended up being donors to the same man 15 years apart, reports CBS News . The story begins in 2004, when 35-year-old Bryan Herrington died after a fall from a roof on his construction job, per CNN...
9-Year-Old Killed in
Bounce House Accident
Jul 20, 2019 10:01 AM CDT
9-Year-Old Killed in Bounce House Accident
Hospital honors young organ donor
- A 9-year-old girl who died Friday after a bounce house accident has been honored at a Reno hospital for her organ donations. Hundreds of hospital employees, family members, and friends lined the halls for the honor walk, the
reports, as the body of Lizzy Hammond was taken from...
Son Saved 2 Lives
Jul 15, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
Granger Smith's Son Saved 2 Lives
River, who died after drowning at age 3, was an organ donor
- In an emotional Instagram post , country star Granger Smith's wife, Amber, reveals that after the couple's 3-year-old son River died by drowning , he saved the lives of two adults via organ donation. "When 3 different neuro specialists told us that River had 0% chance of brain recovery...
Kidney Move Is
Jul 10, 2019 3:46 PM CDT
Trump's Kidney Move Is Earning Praise
It could save thousands, one writer argues
- President Trump made headlines Wednesday, but not for the usual reasons: The executive order he signed this time around has to do with kidneys. Specifically, it aims to improve care for patients with kidney disease by making home treatment more available and encouraging more kidney donations, Politico reports. It also...
Fox's Ed Henry Delivers
Emotional On-Air News
Jul 8, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
Fox's Ed Henry Delivers Emotional On-Air News
Correspondent is donating part of his liver to his sister this week
Fox & Friends
came back from a commercial break on Sunday morning, chief national correspondent Ed Henry delivered some unexpected news: "So, I'm going to donate part of my liver on Tuesday," he told his co-hosts, per Mediaite . See the clip here . Henry struggled with his...
Tribute for Nurse
Who Gave Her All
Jun 12, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
'Extremely Emotional' Tribute for Nurse Who Gave Her All
More than 100 co-workers lined hospital hall to honor late Mary Desin before organ transplant
- If you happened to be at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Hamot hospital on Friday, you may have stumbled across what a nurse's son described as an "extremely emotional" scene in one of the hallways. That nurse, per ABC News , was Mary Desin, an employee of...
They Wore Green T-Shirts
to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
May 7, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
They Wore Green T-Shirts to a Cardinals Game, Fatefully
It leads to a wild meeting
- A heart recipient ran into his donor's family completely by chance at an MLB game—and it was all due to a bunch of T-shirts. CBS News reports that Savannah Chavez Roesch and family members went to the St. Louis Cardinals' "Transplant Awareness Day" on April 28, all...
A Big North American First
for Organ Donation
Apr 2, 2019 7:13 PM CDT
A Big North American First for Organ Donation
Nova Scotia is instituting 'presumed consent'
- It's a first in North America: Nova Scotia will switch to a system that presumes consent for organ and tissue donation. That means you can opt out if you don't want to donate your organs, but if you take no action, you are assumed to be a donor....
It's a First: Someone Living
With HIV Donates Organ
Mar 28, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
It's a First: Someone Living With HIV Donates Organ
Atlanta's Nina Martinez is a kidney donor to HIV-positive recipient
- She donated a kidney to a stranger, but that's not the reason Nina Martinez's decision is making international headlines. The 36-year-old Atlanta resident is HIV-positive, and the surgery at Johns Hopkins is the first time anywhere that someone living with the virus has donated an organ, reports FOX...
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.'
But She Was 'the Donor'
Jan 3, 2019 8:45 AM CST
His Ex Wasn't 'the One.' But She Was 'the Donor'
Minn. grandma Mary Ziegler donates organ to her former husband
- Not all divorces have to end in acrimony. Just ask Mary Ziegler and Bill Henrichs, who when they ended their marriage two decades ago made a pledge to treat each other right for their kids' sake. "You know all those bad divorce things, we agreed not to do that,...
Plane Turns Around After
'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
Dec 14, 2018 9:52 AM CST
Plane Turns Around After 'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
That would be a human heart, forgotten on a Southwest flight headed to Dallas
- The passengers on Southwest Flight 3606 were somewhere over Idaho Sunday when their captain came over the PA with a message: They were headed back to Seattle. That's because there was a "life-critical cargo shipment" that had been left on board, per the
: a donated human...
She Found Out
She Had Cancer.
Then, a 'God
Oct 12, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
She Found Out She Had Cancer. Then, a 'God Moment'
Nurse Iris Zink donated her kidney to longtime patient and friend Ginny Holcomb
- Everyone hopes for a caring and compassionate nurse when they're ailing, but one Michigan woman's caretaker went "above and beyond the call of duty," per
Becker's Hospital Review
. For more than 15 years, nurse practitioner Iris Zink has treated Ginny Holcomb at Lansing Rheumatology, and...
'Healthy' Organ Donor
Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Sep 16, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
'Healthy' Organ Donor Kills 3 in 'Extraordinary' Case
Tests just couldn't find the cancer cells, report says
- All four of them received organs from an apparently cancer-free donor, and three of them died—of cancer. In what researchers are calling an "extraordinary case," four organ-recipients from a 53-year-old stroke victim all developed breast cancer, LiveScience reports. A new report says the donor died in 2007,...
Russia: Asking for OK Before
Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
Mar 24, 2018 4:31 PM CDT
Russia: Asking for OK Before Taking Organs Is 'Inhumane'
European Court of Human Rights hearing 2 cases on Russia's organ donation law
- At least two lawsuits filed at a top European court claim Russia violated Europe's Human Rights Convention by removing organs from the recently dead without telling relatives. Russia's response: Asking relatives' permission would be "inhumane." Documents provided to the AP detail how Russia is fighting charges...
Twins Shared a Liver Disease.
Why Only One Was Saved
Mar 22, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Twins Shared a Liver Disease. Why Only One Was Saved
Mom blames shortage of organs, which forced the boys to get sicker before being put on list
- Margi Coats knew her son was dying. "I stayed awake holding his hand all night with my heart pounding, waiting for him to take his last breath," she says of 18-year-old Nick's final hours. "It's the most frightening thing in the world for a mother....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.