Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iran: Nope, Morality Cops
Not Going Anywhere
Dec 5, 2022 3:21 AM CST
Iran: Nope, Morality Cops Not Going Anywhere
State media denies reports that morality police will be disbanded following riots
- Iranian state media quickly pushed back on reports that Iran was disbanding its morality police. It was the attorney general who was quoted saying as much, but per state media, it's not the judiciary that oversees the morality police force—it's the interior ministry, which has not yet...
Cops: She Was
Detained for Hijab
Sep 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Detained for Hijab 'Education.' Now She's Dead
Outrage in Iran after witnesses say Mahsa Amini died after being beaten by 'morality police'
- The existence of Iran's "morality police"—authorities who patrol the streets to ensure Islamic code on how women dress is being followed—has been increasingly under fire there, and a young woman's death this week has just exacerbated the backlash. Witnesses say 22-year-old Mahsa Amini died...
Girl Gets 'Uniform
Infraction' at School
Aug 22, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Girl Gets 'Uniform Infraction' at School —Over 'Jihab'
Teacher who wrote up 8th-grader misspelled 'hijab' on dress code violation form
- A Massachusetts school is taking heat after a teacher wrote up an eighth-grader there for wearing a hijab in class. NBC Boston reports on the incident at Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, where the girl was dinged for a "uniform infraction" for donning the religious head covering worn by...
Banned From Classroom
for Wearing Hijab
Dec 14, 2021 5:36 PM CST
Canadian Teacher Banned From Classroom for Wearing Hijab
Trudeau says federal government might intervene in controversial Quebec case
- Hundreds of people, including students and parents, joined a protest in Canada Tuesday to support a teacher who was removed from the classroom because she wore a hijab. Fatemeh Anvari, who taught third grade at a school in Chelsea, western Quebec, was reassigned to a role outside the classroom because...
Beauty Queen Loses
Her Crown Over Tweets
Jul 20, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Beauty Queen Loses Her Crown Over Tweets
Kathy Zhu says she's 'seen this happen before'
- For one beauty queen, her tweets meant her crown. Kathy Zhu, 20, has been told she's no longer Miss Michigan 2019 because her "social media accounts contain offensive, insensitive and inappropriate content." Zhu blames her remarks about hijabs and black violence for the uncrowning: "I have...
Fox Host Gets
Mar 11, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Fox Host Gets Rebuke Over Hijab Comments
Jeanine Pirro mused whether Rep. Ilhan Omar's headwear may be 'antithetical' to Constitution
- Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar has been at the center of controversy over remarks she recently made that some call anti-Semitic, but a Fox News host's comments on Omar have themselves earned what CNN Business calls a "rare rebuke" from the network. On her program Saturday, Jeanine Pirro wondered...
Suit: While in Custody,
Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
May 8, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Suit: While in Custody, Deputies Ripped Off My Hijab
Jennifer Hyatt says Ventura County officers yanked off her hijab while she was in custody
- What started out as a husband-wife incident has led to a federal lawsuit against the sheriff's office in California's Ventura County after the wife says deputies forcibly removed her head scarf while in custody. The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the case of nurse Jennifer Hyatt, 44, who...
NYC Must Pay $180K to Women
Forced to Remove Hijabs
Mar 4, 2018 5:16 PM CST
NYC Must Pay $180K to Women Forced to Remove Hijabs
The Muslim women claimed their religious rights were violated
- The city of New York has reached settlements with three Muslim women who filed complaints after their lawyers say they were forced to remove their hijabs following their arrests. The
New York Daily News
reports that the settlements were filed on Monday and total $180,000 in damages after the...
Police: Child's Tale of Man
Cutting Her Hijab Isn't True
Jan 15, 2018 2:45 PM CST
Police: Child's Tale of Man Cutting Her Hijab Isn't True
An extensive investigation concluded it didn't happen
- Toronto police are disputing an 11-year-old girl's claim that her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school last week. Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said Monday an extensive investigation was conducted and police concluded it did not happen. The sixth-grader, her mother, and her...
With Dad About
Hijab Go Viral
Apr 18, 2017 11:22 AM CDT
Teen's Texts With Dad About Hijab Go Viral
Young Muslim woman shuts down critic
- An exchange between a Muslim teenager in Pennsylvania and her father in Saudi Arabia has gone viral after it opened up an intimate window into the hijab debate. The teen, Lamyaa, was debating politics in a chat group when she was told by one stranger: "B---- shut up. You...
EU High Court:
Mar 14, 2017 10:08 AM CDT
EU High Court: Companies Can Ban Headscarves
But workers don't have to take off religious symbols just because a customer asks
- Fifteen judges on Europe's highest court ruled Tuesday on a case involving Muslim headscarves in the workplace, and the verdict did not come down in the headscarf-wearers' favor. CNNMoney reports that the European Court of Justice decided businesses not wanting to give an appearance of having any political, philosophical,...
Mar 7, 2017 7:31 PM CST
Nike Introduces Hijab for Athletes
Athletes helped with the design
- Nike has unveiled a hijab for Muslim female athletes, the AP reports. The Nike Pro Hijab has been in development for a year, the company said. Athletes contributed input into the product, and figure skater Zahra Lari was among those who tested it. The pull-on hijab is made of light,...
This Outfit Got a Saudi
Dec 13, 2016 7:00 PM CST
This Outfit Got a Saudi Woman Imprisoned
Malak al-Shehri was arrested for 'violations of general morals'
- A 20-something women in Saudi Arabia is in prison and facing death threats after going out for breakfast with friends without wearing her hijab and abaya, International Business Times reports. According to the
, Malak al-Shehri announced her plan on Twitter a few days in advance, later posting a photo...
Female Chess Players Outraged
by Iran's Hijab Requirement
Sep 30, 2016 3:58 PM CDT
Female Chess Players Outraged by Iran's Hijab Requirement
Competitors at world championship must wear head scarf
- The US women's chess champion won't be competing in the Women's World Chess Championship February in Iran over that country's law that makes it mandatory for women—including foreign chess players—to wear hijabs, CNN reports. Nazi Paikidze-Barnes calls the law "religious and sexist discrimination....
Muslim Teen Proposes
a First: Headscarf Emojis
Sep 15, 2016 11:46 AM CDT
Muslim Teen Proposes a First: Headscarf Emojis
Rayouf Alhumedhi, 15, had nothing to represent herself online
- When 15-year-old Rayouf Alhumedhi went searching for an emoji to express herself in a group chat room, she came up short. So the Berlin teen chose to create a symbol—the hijab, or headscarf—that has ignited a debate in Europe and beyond about religious freedom, multiculturalism, and women's...
in 2 Countries
Embrace the Hijab
Aug 26, 2016 12:15 AM CDT
Police Forces in 2 Countries Embrace the Hijab
Mounties, Scottish police want more Muslim women to join up
- While cops in France crack down on burkinis , police forces in two other countries have decided to embrace the hijab. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have decided to allow female officers to wear a hijab while on duty in a bid to encourage diversity among the Mounties, the Independent reports....
Makes History With Medal
Aug 13, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
Muslim-American Fencer Makes History With Medal
Ibtihaj Muhammad is first US Olympian compete in hijab
- US fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad came to the Rio Olympics determined to show the world that sports is a place where Muslim-American women can excel. Muhammad will return to New Jersey with proof that she was right. The AP reports Muhammad, who became the first US Olympian to wear a hijab...
Fencer in Hijab
for Team USA
Aug 8, 2016 11:37 AM CDT
Fencer in Hijab Makes History for Team USA
Ibtihaj Muhammad hopes to inspire change
- At age 12, Ibtihaj Muhammad chose to learn fencing because she considered it the easiest sport in which she could compete while wearing a hijab. Eighteen years later, she's made history as Team USA's first hijab-wearing Olympian, reports the BBC . The 30-year-old former world champion, ranked eighth in...
Military College: Leave
Your Hijab at Home
May 10, 2016 1:30 PM CDT
Military College: Leave Your Hijab at Home
Student considering legal options, says CAIR rep
- One of the nation's oldest military colleges has denied a Muslim student's request to wear a hijab over concerns about a lack of "uniformity." The president of the Citadel in South Carolina says "the standardization of cadets in apparel, overall appearance, actions, and privileges is...
SXSW: Sorry We
Asked US Fencer
to Take Off Hijab
Mar 13, 2016 10:06 AM CDT
SXSW: Sorry We Asked US Fencer to Take Off Hijab
Ibtihaj Muhammad set to become first American to compete in hijab in Olympics
- South By Southwest is quickly walking backward after a volunteer asked US fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad—the first American who will compete in the Olympics in a hijab—to remove her hijab to have an ID badge photo taken, reports NBC News . "I can't make this stuff up,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.