Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Uber Will Pay $4.4M to End Sexual Harassment Probe
Female employees could be eligible for payouts
- Uber will establish a $4.4 million fund to settle a federal investigation into allegations that the San Francisco company allowed a rampant culture of sexual harassment, the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission announced Wednesday. The agreement ends an investigation launched in 2017 in which the commission found reasonable cause...
Walmart's Push to Nix Greeters Poses 'Unique Situation'
Disabled workers say they will be hurt most by new job requirements for 'customer hosts'
- "It's just a systematic way of getting rid of all the disabled people." That's how the dad of a former Walmart worker feels about the retailer's recent decision to get rid of its greeters at 1,000 of its stores by the end of April....
Boss Allegedly Ordered Killing of Worker Who Complained
Eliud Montoya's murder came after warning: prosecutors
- When Eliud Montoya's mother arrived at the scene of the tree-service worker's murder, "without hesitation, she advised his boss killed him," according to an affidavit. Prosecutors say she's essentially right. "They are always watching me because of a complaint I [filed] on ways they...
10 Women File Harassment Claims Against McDonald's
Groups help the women in 9 cities bring forth allegations
- Energized by the #MeToo movement, two national advocacy groups are teaming up to lodge sexual harassment complaints against McDonald's on behalf of 10 women who have worked at the fast-food restaurant in nine cities. The workers—one of them a 15-year-old from St. Louis—alleged groping, propositions for sex,...
Walmart Sued After Firing Employee With Down Syndrome
And allegedly violating the Americans With Disabilities Act
- The US Equal Employment Opportunities Commission is suing Walmart for allegedly violating the Americans With Disabilities Act after the company fired an employee with Down syndrome, the Mighty reports. Marlo Spaeth had worked at a Walmart in Milwaukee for 15 years. According to the EEOC , she was a good employee...
US Sues BMW, Says Criminal Checks Were Discriminating
70 black workers after background probes
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed a lawsuit against BMW for using criminal background checks to screen out employees—a practice, it says, which put 70 black employees out of a job, the
reports. The background, as per an EEOC press release : A BMW plant in South...
Hopefuls to Feds: Show Is Racist
Contestants seek equal-opportunity investigation: lawyer
- Nine former
contestants say race was a factor in their exits from the show—and they're asking federal officials to investigate. Hopefuls ranging from the second season's Corey Clark to the ninth season's Chris Golightly are involved in the request. They say the show highlighted...
Feds Sue Fox News in Age, Sex Bias Case
Reporter says Fox retaliated after she complained of discrimination
- A reporter who complained about age and sex discrimination at Fox News was punished for doing so, according to a suit filed by federal lawyers. After Catherine Herridge made several complaints to management about unequal pay and job conditions, she was asked to sign a contract including language aimed at...
Equal Pay Bill Blocked in Senate
Clinton and Obama declare truce to back bill stomped by GOP
- Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama interrupted their rival campaigns yesterday to vote together on a bill that would make it easier for women to sue employers for pay discrimination. But their moment of unity proved fruitless as Senate Republicans blocked the bill, likely killing it for the rest of the...
Popular on Newser
With One Week to Go, Here's What the Polls Say
On Morning of Family Trip, Cops Tell Wife of Hubby's Murder Plot
Jim Carrey as Joe Biden on SNL Isn't Going Over Well
COVID Antibodies Are 'Rapidly' Waning
Saddam's 'Red Devil' Is Reportedly Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.