Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jul 27, 2023 11:23 AM CDT
SCOTUS Allows Construction on Disputed Pipeline
Court lifts stay, allowing work on the Mountain Valley Pipeline to resume
- The Supreme Court on Thursday allowed construction to resume on a contested natural-gas pipeline that is being built through Virginia and West Virginia, per the AP . Work on the Mountain Valley Pipeline had been blocked by the federal appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, even after Congress ordered the project's...
Yacht, Divers Suspected
in Pipeline Sabotage
Jul 12, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Yacht, Divers Suspected in Pipeline Sabotage
Theory emerges in investigation update
- German investigators have found traces of explosives on a yacht possibly hired to transport material used to blow up the Nord Stream gas pipelines last year. Denmark, Sweden, and Germany are separately investigating the September attack, with Germany focusing on a yacht that six people reportedly hired from a Ukrainian-owned...
US Officials Offer Hint on
Nord Stream Pipeline Attacks
Mar 8, 2023 8:55 AM CST
US Officials Offer Hint on Nord Stream Pipeline Attacks
Signs point to pro-Ukraine group, though details are murky and skepticism remains
- Russia and Western nations have been pointing the finger at each other since last September, when a series of leaks sprung up in the Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea, carrying gas from Russia to Germany. Now, a possible clue toward solving what the
New York Times
New Leak Found in
Nord Stream Pipeline
Sep 29, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
New Leak Found in Nord Stream Pipeline
Russia says it could be state 'terrorism'
- The Swedish coast guard says another leak has been detected in the Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea, bringing the total to four. Coast guard spokesperson Mattias Lindholm said the leaks are in the same sector, the
reports. Two more leaks have been found in Danish waters. Leaks...
2 Blasts Were Detected
Before Baltic Pipeline Leaks
Sep 27, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
2 Blasts Were Detected Before Baltic Pipeline Leaks
Authorities say it was sabotage, but it's not clear who was behind it
- Denmark said Tuesday it believed "deliberate actions" by unknown perpetrators were behind big leaks , which seismologists said followed powerful explosions, in two natural gas pipelines running under the Baltic Sea from Russia to Germany. European leaders and experts pointed to possible sabotage amid the energy standoff with Russia provoked...
Feds: Company Behind
California Oil Spill Was
Negligent in 6 Ways
Dec 16, 2021 4:27 AM CST
Feds: Company Behind California Oil Spill Was Negligent in 6 Ways
Amplify Energy failed to respond to leak alarms, prosecutors say
- A Houston-based oil company and two subsidiaries were indicted Wednesday for a crude spill that fouled southern California waters and beaches in October, an event prosecutors say was caused in part by failing to properly act when alarms repeatedly alerted workers to a pipeline rupture. Amplify Energy Corp. and its...
Colonial Pipeline CEO
Confirms Ransom Was Paid
May 19, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline CEO Confirms Ransom Was Paid
'It was the right thing to do for the country'
- The CEO of Colonial Pipeline has confirmed that he made the "highly controversial decision" to pay ransom to hackers who breached the company's systems , causing major problems with the East Coast's gas supply. "I didn’t make it lightly. I will admit that I wasn’t...
Colonial Pipeline Is
Back in Business
May 12, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Colonial Pipeline Is Back in Business
Operations were restarted Wednesday
- The nation's largest fuel pipeline restarted operations Wednesday, days after it was forced to shut down by a gang of hackers. The disruption caused long lines at gas stations in the Southeast due to distribution problems and panic-buying, draining supplies at thousands of gas stations. Colonial initiated the restart...
South's Gas Shortage
Spawns a Brawl
May 12, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
South's Gas Shortage Spawns a Brawl
Motorist records brawl after woman apparently tries to cut long line in NC, which didn't go over well
- Tensions over a gas shortage boiled over into a brawl this week at a North Carolina gas station. After a cyberattack on Friday against the Colonial Pipeline, which delivers about 45% of the fuel sent to the East Coast, industry analysts warned gas prices could rise if the pipeline wasn'...
Clock Is Ticking on Pipeline
May 10, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Clock Is Ticking on Pipeline After Cyberattack
If Colonial system isn't back up in a few days, gasoline prices are likely to rise
- The operators of the biggest US fuel pipeline were scrambling Monday to resume operations after a cyberattack forced a shutdown on Friday. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that because of existing gasoline inventories, the impact shouldn't be too dire if Colonial can confine the outage to less than five...
State of Emergency
May 10, 2021 6:20 AM CDT
State of Emergency Declared Over Pipeline Shutdown
Ransomware attack continues to wreak havoc
- The US on Sunday declared a state of emergency in 17 states and the District of Columbia in response to the cyberattack that shut down a major East Coast pipeline on Friday. The Department of Transportation's regional emergency declaration allows fuel to be transported via road, the BBC reports....
Major East Coast Pipeline
Shuts Down After Cyberattack
May 8, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Major East Coast Pipeline Shuts Down After Cyberattack
Line carries 45% of fuel used on East Coast
- A US energy company says a cyberattack forced it to halt operations on a major pipeline that delivers roughly 45% of all fuel consumed on the East Coast. Colonial Pipeline said the attack took place Friday and also affected some of its information technology systems. The company transports gasoline, diesel,...
Biden's To-Do List for First
Day Just Got a New Addition
Jan 18, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Biden's To-Do List for First Day Just Got a New Addition
Sources say he'll yank the Keystone XL permit via executive action as soon as he takes office
- On Saturday, a memo from incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain to senior staff laid out dozens of executive orders that President-elect Biden is expected to sign within the first few days of his term. Not listed among them, per Politico : a plan to pull the permit for...
Gas Line Explodes
Near Mosque, Killing 16
Sep 5, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Gas Line Explodes Near Mosque, Killing 16
Dozens of injuries also reported after blast in Bangladesh
- An underground gas pipeline near a mosque exploded during evening prayers outside Bangladesh's capital, leaving 16 Muslim worshipers dead and dozens injured with critical burns, officials say. The blast occurred Friday night as people were finishing their prayers at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque at Narayanganj, per a local police...
This Is the 3rd Big
Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
Jul 7, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
This Is the 3rd Big Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
US Supreme Court deals blow to Keystone oil pipeline project
- The US Supreme Court handed another setback to the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline from Canada on Monday by keeping in place a lower court ruling that blocked a key environmental permit for the project, the AP reports. Canadian company TC Energy needs the permit to continue building the long-disputed...
Another Pipeline Surprise:
Dakota Site Is Shut Down
Jul 6, 2020 11:33 AM CDT
Another Pipeline Surprise: Dakota Site Is Shut Down
Federal judge says Dakota Access Pipeline must cease, at least temporarily
- For three years, the Dakota Access pipeline has been bearing oil from a North Dakota shale basin to Illinois, per a 2017 permit granted by President Trump to do so. Now, a federal judge has delivered what Bloomberg calls a "stunning defeat" to the Trump administration and the oil...
Bid for More Pipelines
May 28, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Administration Loses Bid for More Pipelines
Case springs from environmentalists' effort against Keystone XL
- A federal appeals court on Thursday turned down the Trump administration's request to revive a permit program for new oil and gas pipelines, an outcome that industry representatives said could delay more than 70 projects across the US and cost companies up to $2 billion. The case originated with...
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great
Time' to Build Pipeline.
May 26, 2020 8:13 AM CDT
Pol: Pandemic a 'Great Time' to Build Pipeline. Environmentalists Fume
Sonya Savage, energy minister in Alberta, Canada, says pandemic is keeping large protests at bay
- There just might be a silver lining to the coronavirus pandemic: There can't be any huge protests against pipelines being built. That's the take of a conservative Canadian politician, anyway, and it's one that's now getting some pushback. Per the Canadian Press , Sonya Savage, Alberta's...
Big Case for Famous Trail
Hits the Supreme Court
Feb 24, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Big Case for Famous Trail Hits the Supreme Court
Justices to rule on whether an oil pipeline can cross the Appalachian Trail in Virginia
- Arguments in a big environmental case were being heard at the Supreme Court on Monday, a dispute that pits builders of an oil pipeline versus supporters of the Appalachian Trail. We won't get a decision for months, but the ruling has the potential to snarl not just the construction...
She Wrote Letters to Dylann
Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Nov 22, 2019 12:42 PM CST
She Wrote Letters to Dylann Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron had pleaded guilty to plotting 2 terror attacks
- An Ohio woman fixated on the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School, as well as one at a historically black church in Charleston, SC, in 2015, now knows her fate for plotting two terror attacks herself. The US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio says that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.