Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nobel Prize for Literature
Stories 1 - 20 |
Writer Takes Home
Nobel for Literature
Oct 7, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
'Uncompromising' Writer Takes Home Nobel for Literature
Abdulrazak Gurnah of Tanzania began writing as a 21-year-old refugee in exile
- The 2021 Nobel Prize for literature was announced Thursday, an award that has in the past honored poets, novelists, and even a songwriter, Bob Dylan. The AP reports that Tanzanian writer Abdulrazak Gurnah took home the top award, with the Swedish Academy noting the Nobel was in recognition of Gurnah'...
Her 'Unmistakable' Voice
Just Earned Her a Nobel
Oct 8, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Her 'Unmistakable' Voice Just Earned Her a Nobel
American poet Louise Glueck wins Nobel Prize in Literature
- The Nobel Prize for Literature was awarded Thursday after several years of controversy and scandal for the world's preeminent literary accolade. American poet Louise Glueck was the recipient of the $1.1 million prize "for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal,"...
Double Duty for
Nobel Lit Prize
Oct 10, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Double Duty for Nobel Lit Prize
Polish author Olga Tokarczuk takes 2018's award, Austrian Peter Handke claims 2019's
- A twofer this Thursday in Nobel land: The 2018 Nobel Prize in literature has been awarded to Polish author Olga Tokarczuk "for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life," while the 2019 prize went to Austrian author Peter...
Man at Heart of Nobel Literature
Scandal Convicted of Rape
Oct 1, 2018 1:08 PM CDT
Man at Heart of Nobel Literature Scandal Convicted of Rape
Jean-Claude Arnault, 72, sentenced Monday to 2 years in prison
- The man at the center of a sex abuse and financial crimes scandal in Sweden that has tarnished the academy that awards the Nobel Prize in Literature was convicted of rape and sentenced Monday to two years in prison. Jean-Claude Arnault, 72, a major cultural figure in Sweden, had faced...
There Will Be No
Nobel for Literature
May 4, 2018 2:53 AM CDT
There Will Be No Nobel for Literature This Year
Prize called off amid sex-abuse scandal
- The Nobel Prize in literature will be not awarded this year following sex-abuse allegations and other issues within the ranks of the Swedish Academy that selects the winner. The academy said Friday the 2018 prize will be given in 2019. The decision was made at a weekly meeting in Stockholm...
Photographer Accused of
Groping Swedish Princess
Apr 30, 2018 3:03 AM CDT
Photographer Accused of Groping Swedish Princess
Scandal threatens to derail Nobel Prize for Literature
- A French photographer whose alleged sexual misconduct sparked a scandal threatening to cancel this year's Nobel Prize in Literature was so brazen that he groped Sweden's future queen at a public event, witnesses say. Swedish writer Ebba Witt-Brattström tells the
that at a 2006 event put...
Like the Stuff of a Novel,
Scandal Rips at Nobel Body
Apr 13, 2018 8:45 AM CDT
Like the Stuff of a Novel, Scandal Rips at Nobel Body
Sara Danius, public face of body that gives out Literature Nobel, is out
- A male accused of sexual assault and leaks of secret information; a woman who takes the fall. What sounds like the plot of novel is instead the true story of a scandal that's riling the literary world. Sara Danius, who has since 2015 served as the first female permanent...
How He Wrote
Remains of the
in 4 Weeks
Oct 5, 2017 6:09 PM CDT
Ishiguro Explains How He Wrote
Remains of the Day
in 4 Weeks
'Guardian' is re-running 2014 piece in wake of Nobel win
- In the wake of Kazuo Ishiguro being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, the
is re-running a 2014 piece the author wrote for the paper about how he wrote his most famous work,
Remains of the Day
, in just four weeks. It was 1987, and he'd quit his...
Remains of the Day
Wins Nobel in Literature
Oct 5, 2017 6:13 AM CDT
Remains of the Day
Author Wins Nobel in Literature
Britain's Kazuo Ishiguro is the 2017 laureate
- After last year's unconventional decision to give Bob Dylan the Nobel Prize in Literature, the panel went a more traditional route this year: The winner announced Thursday is British novelist Kazuo Ishiguro, perhaps best known as the author of
Remains of the Day.
Ishiguro, “in novels of great...
Bob Dylan Finally Has
His Nobel Prize
Apr 1, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
Bob Dylan Finally Has His Nobel Prize
Nearly 6 months after his win was announced
- Bob Dylan finally has his hands on his Nobel Literature diploma and medal, almost six months after his win was announced. Klas Ostergren, a member of the Swedish Academy, said the 75-year-old American singer-songwriter received his award during a small gathering Saturday afternoon at a hotel next to the conference...
Mar 29, 2017 9:51 AM CDT
Bob Dylan Finally Gets Around to His Nobel
He'll stop by Stockholm to pick up that Literature prize he won months ago
- Bob Dylan will be knockin' on the Swedish Academy's door this weekend to finally pick up his Nobel Prize in Literature.
reports that the singer-songwriter, who famously didn't reply right away upon learning he'd won the prize in October—and who sent singer Patti Smith...
Patti Smith Blanks
on Dylan's Lyrics
Dec 11, 2016 7:03 AM CST
Patti Smith Blanks on Dylan's Lyrics
Singer needed 2 takes on 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall,' apologizes for her nerves
- In perhaps a reminder that no good deed goes unpunished, Patti Smith showed up Saturday at the Nobel Prize awards to perform in the stead of the elusive Bob Dylan on the occasion of his unprecedented Nobel for Literature —and needed a couple of tries to get his lyrics...
Dec 5, 2016 10:42 AM CST
Bob Dylan Picks His Stand-In for Nobel Ceremony
None other than Patti Smith, who will perform
- Bob Dylan says he's too busy to attend the Nobel ceremony in Stockholm on Dec. 10 to pick up his literature prize , but he's sending quite the stand-in. Rock legend Patti Smith will be there in his place and will perform Dylan's "A Hard Rain's...
Twistin' in the Wind
Nov 16, 2016 12:13 PM CST
Dylan Leaves Nobel Academy Twistin' in the Wind
Singer/songwriter says he has 'other commitments,' but is 'incredibly honored'
- Bob Dylan was oddly silent about his Nobel Prize win, and now he's officially let the Nobel academy know that while he is "incredibly honored" by the literature prize, he won't be at the ceremony in Sweden to actually pick it up. His letter blamed "other...
Bob Dylan Finally
Opens up About
Nobel Prize Win
Oct 28, 2016 6:19 PM CDT
Bob Dylan Finally Opens up About Nobel Prize Win
'Whoever dreams about something like that?'
- Stop the presses and forget the emails : We finally know what Bob Dylan thinks about winning the Nobel Prize for Literature. "Isn't that something?" he tells the
in an exclusive interview. Surprisingly, Dylan said even more than that on the topic after nearly two weeks after ignoring...
To Understand Dylan's Nobel
Silence, Read Sartre
Oct 26, 2016 11:58 AM CDT
To Understand Dylan's Nobel Silence, Read Sartre
It's about 'bad faith,' explains an op-ed
- One member of the Nobel academy thinks it's "arrogant" that Bob Dylan won't acknowledge his literature prize. Poet and critic Adam Kirsch thinks it's "wonderful," and he explains why in a
New York Times
op-ed. He notes that philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre refused his own...
Nobel Academy Member:
Dylan Is 'Impolite and Arrogant'
Oct 22, 2016 12:04 PM CDT
Nobel Academy Member: Dylan Is 'Impolite and Arrogant'
The musician still hasn't publicly responded to winning the Nobel Prize
- Bob Dylan still hasn't acknowledged being given the Nobel Prize for literature, and it sounds like some members of the academy behind the prize are starting to get a bit fed up, the
reports. "It's impolite and arrogant," says writer Per Wastberg, a member of...
Oct 21, 2016 3:57 PM CDT
Bob Dylan Acknowledges Nobel Win, Ever So Briefly
His website includes a line about the win, then removes it
- Bob Dylan acknowledged his Nobel Prize win—but only momentarily. The musician has been oddly quiet about winning the literature prize, but a fan noticed that his official website added a line to this page that said "Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature." But by Friday morning,...
Nobel Panel to Dylan: You Win!
Dylan to Nobel Panel: ...
Oct 17, 2016 3:04 PM CDT
Nobel Panel to Dylan: You Win! Dylan to Nobel Panel: ...
Singer's answer is still apparently off blowin' in the wind
- On Thursday, the Swedish Academy dropped a culture bomb in the form of a Nobel in Literature for Bob Dylan for his "poetic expressions." It is now Monday, and Dylan has yet to respond, poetically or otherwise, and the Nobel Committee is somewhat publicly throwing up its hands....
Oct 13, 2016 12:44 PM CDT
Author on Dylan's Nobel: 'Ill Conceived'
Irvine Welsh does not think music and literature should mix in picking prize recipients
- "Bob Dylan" was one of the top Twitter trends Thursday thanks to the troubadour taking home the Nobel Prize for Literature . But while most of social media is beaming at his newest honor, Scottish author Irvine Welsh, who wrote the novel
, isn't terribly pleased, the AP reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.