Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dec 15, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Runaway Zebras Found in Maryland
They're back with their herd
The two zebras that had been on the loose in Maryland since August have been located and reunited with their herd, WJLA reports. Authorities say they returned to the herd last week after having been corralled in an undisclosed location. A third zebra that originally escaped with them died...
It's a Sad End for One of
Maryland's Runaway Zebras
Oct 15, 2021 10:22 AM CDT
It's a Sad End for One of Maryland's Runaway Zebras
Authorities now say only 3 escaped, and one was found dead in trap
- A revised number and a grim update in the story of the escaped zebras who are roaming around in suburban Maryland at the moment: Despite reports that five zebras escaped from a farm on Aug. 31, and were still wandering as of early this month, a rep for the Prince...
No One Can
Zebras on the
Loose in Maryland
Oct 1, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
No One Can Catch Those Zebras on the Loose in Maryland
Group of 5 escaped from farm in Prince George's County in late August
Five fugitive zebras that made headlines after escaping from a Maryland farm in late August are "still out there, roaming free." That's the latest from the
, which notes multiple sightings over the past few weeks in Prince George's County. The
Circus, With 2
Oct 3, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
2 Zebras Escaped the Circus, With 2 Different Fates
One animal was captured; the other was shot dead on a German highway
- Two zebras busted out of a German circus Tuesday night, but only one of them was brought back alive. Rostock police say the runaway that didn't make it back ended up on a local highway Wednesday, wreaking havoc in traffic, damaging vehicles, and even spurring a car accident when...
Our Brains Haven't Evolved
to Handle Stripes
May 10, 2017 9:47 AM CDT
Our Brains Haven't Evolved to Handle Stripes
This is the first research to find that even still images can lead to seizures
- If you have an unreasonable fear of escalators, there may be something to it—but the problem involves looking at one, not stepping on it. Researchers report in the journal
that just looking at the rigid, geometric pattern of stripes—even still images of them—affects our brain...
Dec 29, 2015 10:31 AM CST
Math Model Helps Answer Riddle of Tiger's Stripes
Researchers can better explain why they're vertical or horizontal
- Since the 1950s mathematicians have been trying to sort out exactly why some animals, like tigers and zebras, have stripes that are oriented perpendicularly to their spines, while others, like the zebrafish, have stripes that are parallel. Now Harvard researchers are proposing a mathematical model in the journal
Apr 2, 2014 3:15 AM CDT
Zebra Stripe Mystery Solved, Researchers Say
Stripes help deter biting flies, not lions
- The centuries-old puzzle of why zebras have stripes has been solved, and they're not there to confuse lions or for decoration, researchers say. A new study backs up the theory that stripes evolved as a way to deter biting flies , Real Clear Science reports. Researchers gathered stripe pattern data...
Why Zebras Have Stripes: Flies
Feb 9, 2012 2:12 PM CST
Why Zebras Have Stripes: Flies
New theory says horseflies hate them
- A new theory offers a simple explanation on why zebras have stripes: Horseflies hate them. Researchers discovered that the flies will go after an all-black animal or an all-white animal more than a striped one, reports LiveScience . What's more, the zebra's narrow, vertical stripes seem tailor-made to ward...
Hearst Castle Zebras
Jan 13, 2011 3:06 AM CST
Ranchers Shoot Hearst Castle Zebras
One rancher's turning them into rugs
- Hasty California ranchers shot dead three Hearst Castle zebras who strayed onto their property, and neighbors are aghast. The zebras—a buck, a mare and yearling—were part of a herd that roams castle grounds, the remnants of what was at one time the largest private zoo in the world,...
a Mile for
Jul 1, 2008 3:14 AM CDT
Camels Walk a Mile for Escape-Artist Giraffe
Circus chain gang cuts loose in Amsterdam
- Fifteen camels, two zebras, lamas and potbellied swine went on the lam from a Dutch circus—with a giraffe masterminding their flight to freedom. The gang
wandered around an Amsterdam neighborhood when the escape artist kicked a hole in the animals' cage, reports AP. They were all rounded up after...
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.