Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Allows State to Enforce
Down Syndrome Abortion Ban
Nov 23, 2020 12:12 AM CST
Court Allows State to Enforce Down Syndrome Abortion Ban
Tennessee can enforce ban as court battle continues
- A federal appeals court ruled Friday that Tennessee can begin outlawing abortions because of a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome, as well as prohibit the procedure if it's based on the race or gender of the fetus. Tennessee Republican Gov. Bill Lee enacted the so-called “reason bans” earlier...
A First for Ironman Competition
Nov 10, 2020 4:30 AM CST
A First for Ironman Competition
Chris Nikic has Down Syndrome, says his goal for 2021 will be even bigger
- For the first time, a competitor with Down syndrome has completed an Ironman triathlon. Chris Nikic achieved the impressive physical feat Saturday in Florida, CNN reports. The event consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2-marathon run; Nikic completed the course in 16 hours,...
Norm Macdonald Slammed
for Down Syndrome Remark
Sep 13, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Norm Macdonald Slammed for Down Syndrome Remark
In explaining #MeToo remarks, he suggests people with condition lack empathy
- Norm Macdonald attempted to explain his controversial #MeToo comments in an interview with Howard Stern Wednesday—and managed to make things worse. The comedian landed himself in a fresh controversy after insulting people with Down syndrome in an effort to express empathy for victims of sexual misconduct, Yahoo reports. "...
New Gerber Baby Is
First With Down Syndrome
Feb 7, 2018 12:21 PM CST
New Gerber Baby Is First With Down Syndrome
Meet Lucas Warren
- The new face of Gerber represents a milestone. The company has picked 1-year-old Lucas Warren of Dalton, Georgia , as this year's Gerber Baby—and Lucas is the first child with Down Syndrome selected for the honor, reports
. "He never meets a stranger," says mom Cortney, who...
No More Amnios
for Down Syndrome?
Scientists Hope So
Nov 9, 2017 11:50 AM CST
No More Amnios for Down Syndrome? Scientists Hope So
They say new test results in a 100-fold reduction in false positives
- Doctors have discovered a more accurate way to prenatally test for chromosome disorders like Down syndrome, and it's less stressful for the mother to boot. Normally, if an ultrasound and blood test show a woman's risk of an affected pregnancy is high, doctors can perform additional tests to...
Breaks Major Barrier
Aug 28, 2017 10:40 AM CDT
Athlete With Down Syndrome Breaks Major Barrier
It took Andrew 'Bob' Harris 12 hours to scale Grand Teton
- A Nevada man has become the first climber with Down syndrome to conquer the mighty Grand Teton. Andrew "Bob" Harris, 32, made history on Aug. 18 when he reached the summit, 13,776 feet above Jackson Hole, Wyo., at 5:15pm local time,
reports. "With Bob, limits...
Story About Iceland Sets Off
Angry Debate Over Abortion
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 20, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Story About Iceland Sets Off Angry Debate Over Abortion
CBS explored the declining number of Down syndrome births
- A story by CBS News about the declining number of Down syndrome births in Iceland has caused an uproar, with conservative critics accusing the story of celebrating abortion and others lashing out at Iceland itself. There's so much to unpack that even the myth-busting site Snopes has weighed in...
Clothing Retailer Uses Toddler
With Down Syndrome as Model
Mar 17, 2017 2:48 PM CDT
Clothing Retailer Uses Toddler With Down Syndrome as Model
'No limits for our little girl'
- A British clothing retailer is featuring a toddler girl with Down Syndrome as a model in its stores across the UK, the AP reports. Britain's ITV reports that Lily Beddall's picture is hanging on the walls of 217 Matalan locations across the the UK. Her mother, Vicki Beddall,...
Chimp With Down Syndrome
Is Only 2nd Ever Documented
Feb 22, 2017 7:14 PM CST
Chimp With Down Syndrome Is Only 2nd Ever Documented
Kanako has stunted growth, heart disease, and blindness
- Researchers in Japan have discovered only the second known chimpanzee born with what is, essentially, Down syndrome, according to a study published in
. Kanako, a 24-year-old female chimp, was born with trisomy 22. Her symptoms largely align with the symptoms seen in humans with Down syndrome, also known as...
Walmart Sued After Firing
Employee With Down Syndrome
Jan 19, 2017 3:34 PM CST
Walmart Sued After Firing Employee With Down Syndrome
And allegedly violating the Americans With Disabilities Act
- The US Equal Employment Opportunities Commission is suing Walmart for allegedly violating the Americans With Disabilities Act after the company fired an employee with Down syndrome, the Mighty reports. Marlo Spaeth had worked at a Walmart in Milwaukee for 15 years. According to the EEOC , she was a good employee...
Best Friends With
Down Syndrome Make
Epic Zombie Movie
Jul 13, 2016 4:00 PM CDT
Best Friends With Down Syndrome Make Epic Zombie Movie
'We're naturally amazing'
- Two best friends with Down syndrome from Rhode Island are living their dream of making an epic zombie movie and becoming celebrities, the AP reports. "Down syndrome causes us to think slower than others, but we don't let that get in the way," Sam Suchmann says. "...
New Indiana Law:
No Abortions for
Mar 25, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
New Indiana Law: No Abortions for Fetal Defects
Gov. Mike Pence says bill he signed 'affirms the value of all human life'
- Republican Gov. Mike Pence signed a bill into law Thursday making Indiana the second state to ban abortions because of fetal genetic abnormalities such as Down syndrome. It's due to take effect in July, but Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky says it will ask a court to block...
Dad's Emotional View on
Down Syndrome Goes Viral
Feb 26, 2016 9:17 AM CST
Dad's Emotional View on Down Syndrome Goes Viral
Robb Scott says it's 'brilliant' and 'funny' and 'cuddly'
- We all know that parents want to talk about the incredible things their kids are doing, but one father is adding an emotional dimension to the pride of parenthood. In a raw video taken from his car that has gone viral on Facebook , Robb Scott says that while at a...
Man With Down Syndrome
Lives Bodybuilding Dream
Nov 6, 2015 12:16 PM CST
Man With Down Syndrome Lives Bodybuilding Dream
Collin Clark trained for year, lost 60 pounds for first competition
- When Collin Clark first spotted bodybuilder Glenn Ubelhor prepping for a competition, the young man was working the desk at an Indiana gym. The next thing he knew, the two had become friends—and he was training alongside him, WFIE reports. Now, a year later, the 22-year-old Evansville man with...
Sep 21, 2015 8:25 AM CDT
Kasich Says He'd Sign Down Syndrome Abortion Ban
'Of course I would sign that,' says GOP presidential contender
- Ohio is hoping to do what South Dakota, Indiana, and Missouri failed achieve last year: pass legislation that would ban abortions performed because the baby would have Down syndrome . Gov. John Kasich had remained mum on whether he would sign such a bill—until yesterday, when he fairly forcefully said...
Now a Gap Model
Aug 22, 2015 11:33 AM CDT
Girl With Down Syndrome Now a Gap Model
Kayla Kosmalski, 9, will make her debut today
- Among the kids modeling for Gap today at a fashion show in Miami will be 9-year-old Kayla Kosmalski, and Kayla is making headlines because she's got Down syndrome. She's actually one of four kids in the show with a disability of some kind, part of a campaign called...
Take Off That
Mar 29, 2015 2:00 PM CDT
School Tells Autistic Boy: Take Off That Varsity Letter
Michael Kelley incident sparks debate on varsity jackets
- Did Michael Kelley, a boy with Down Syndrome and autism, have his letter jacket taken off him at school? The accusation has triggered squabbling, an online petition, and debate about how to recognize special-needs children in high-school athletics in Wichita, Kansas, KSN reports. Michael's mom, Jolinda, first said a...
Walk Off Court
to Defend Girl With
Mar 12, 2015 7:45 PM CDT
Young Players Walk Off Court to Defend Girl With Down Syndrome
Wisconsin kids stick up for their friend
- Some young basketball players in Wisconsin are getting national attention for a class act. During a game in Kenosha, the players from Lincoln Middle School realized that some kids in the stands were making fun of one of their cheerleaders—a girl with Down syndrome named Desiree Andrews, reports TMJ4...
Feb 12, 2015 12:14 PM CST
Fashion Week Milestone: Model With Down Syndrome
Actress Jamie Brewer will walk the runway
- Visitors to New York Fashion Week will see a first today: a model with Down syndrome walking the runway, reports
. Actress Jamie Brewer, best known for her work on
American Horror Story
, will do the honors, wearing an original by designer Carrie Hammer as part of Hammer's...
Mom Denies Abandoning Down Syndrome Baby
Feb 9, 2015 4:55 AM CST
Mom Denies Abandoning Down Syndrome Baby
She says she made 'ruthless decision' for his best interests
- An Armenian woman whose husband made headlines with his refusal to give up their newborn with Down syndrome disputes his version of events—though she admits she had to make "the most ruthless decision in my life" hours after baby Leo was born. In a Facebook post , Ruzan Badalyan...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.