Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Canada Slammed With One
of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Sep 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Canada Slammed With One of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Post-tropical cyclone Fiona brings strong winds, heavy rain to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
- Fiona knocked out power to more than 500,000 customers in Atlantic Canada on Saturday, damaging homes with strong winds and rain as it made landfall as a big, powerful post-tropical cyclone. Fiona transformed from a hurricane into a post-tropical storm late Friday, but meteorologists cautioned that it still could...
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is
Underway in a Canadian City
May 13, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is Underway in a Canadian City
Miramichi, New Brunswick, residents can thank Roman Dungarvan, whoever that is
- It'll be a Friday the 13th like no other in the small Canadian city of Miramichi. The New Brunswick locale is home to 17,600 people, and someone among them has started hiding $100 bills with sometimes creepy clues leading to them. And on Friday the 13th comes the...
There Is No Mystery Illness
Feb 25, 2022 6:17 AM CST
Canadian Neurologists: There Is No Mystery Illness
Panel finds alternative explanations for mystery neurological disorder in New Brunswick
- There's no mystery neurological condition in New Brunswick, health officials say a year after warning of a cluster of possible cases in the Canadian province. An oversight committee including six independent neurologists reviewed the cases of 48 patients, aged 18 to 85, who suffered debilitating symptoms, including muscle spasms...
Cluster of Cases May Signal
Entirely New Brain Disease
Mar 30, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Cluster of Cases May Signal Entirely New Brain Disease
Symptoms are similar to Creutzfeldt-Jakob, doctors in New Brunswick, Canada, are stumped
- Doctors in Canada may be dealing with an entirely new brain disease that's specific to one part of their country. A cluster of 43 cases is under investigation in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, reports the
. Symptoms are similar to well-known "prion diseases" such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob,...
2 Cops Dead After
Shots Wake Quiet City
Aug 10, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
2 Cops Dead After Shots Wake Quiet City
2 others killed in shooting in Canada's Fredericton
- Canadian police say two of four people killed in a shooting in the eastern city of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Friday morning are police officers. Fredericton police say one suspect is in custody, and they are not releasing the names of the slain officers yet. The shooting happened in an apartment...
9 Players Take Head Blows,
High School Forfeits Game
Oct 16, 2017 10:45 AM CDT
9 Players Take Head Blows, High School Forfeits Game
4 players showed signs of concussion; opposing coach says they were 'outmatched'
- A high school team in Canada forfeited a game Friday after nine players suffered head injuries, CBC News reports. The coach of the Ecole L'Odyssee Olympiens says he had no choice after four members of the team in New Brunswick showed symptoms of concussion, including vomiting. "We had...
Whale Kills Fisherman
Who Rescued It
Jul 12, 2017 7:07 AM CDT
Whale Kills Fisherman Who Rescued It
Canada's Joe Howlett had spent the past 15 years saving whales in trouble
- Joe Howlett had just tapped into his extensive knowledge of knots to free yet another whale off the coast of New Brunswick on Monday, part of his job with Canada's Campobello Whale Rescue Team, and then: "Some kind of freak thing happened and the whale made a big...
Lightning Hits Bride's Father
During Wedding Speech
Jul 12, 2017 3:19 AM CDT
Lightning Hits Bride's Father During Wedding Speech
He'd just told the groom he was a lucky guy
- JP Nadeau might not be the luckiest man alive, but he can certainly give an electrifying speech. The Canadian was speaking at his daughter's wedding in an apple orchard in Woodstock, New Brunswick, on Saturday when he was struck by lightning, the
reports. "The father of the...
Man on Trial After
Killed 2 Boys
as They Slept
Nov 1, 2016 6:50 AM CDT
Man on Trial After Escaped Python Killed 2 Boys as They Slept
African rock python escaped, asphyxiated 2 young boys at sleepover
- A Canadian man is facing trial three years after an exotic python escaped from its enclosure and killed two young boys sleeping in his apartment. Jean-Claude Savoie, 39, faces one charge of criminal negligence causing death, the CBC reports. The charge stems from the 2013 deaths of Connor Barthe, 6,...
Jun 6, 2014 4:24 AM CDT
Cops: Gunman Who Killed 3 Mounties Captured
Massive manhunt over in Moncton, Canada
- After a manhunt that lasted more than 24 hours, police say that the man believed to have shot three Canadian Mounties dead is in custody and that residents of Moncton, New Brunswick, can safely leave their homes. A police spokesman says Justin Bourque, 24, was arrested just after midnight, the...
City Locked Down After
3 Mounties Shot Dead
Jun 5, 2014 2:22 AM CDT
City Locked Down After 3 Mounties Shot Dead
New Brunswick gunman still on the loose
- Police in New Brunswick are hunting a gunman who killed three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers and injured two others. Suspected shooter Justin Bourque, 24, is believed to be on the loose in the city of Moncton and residents have been told to stay in their homes and lock their...
Pilots Warned of
Runaway Beer Blimp
Apr 29, 2014 12:05 AM CDT
Pilots Warned of Runaway Beer Blimp
Giant hockey light loose over eastern Canada
- Pilots in eastern Canada have been warned to look out for one of the strangest hazards they're ever likely to encounter—a 70-foot brewery blimp shaped like a hockey goal light. The Budweiser balloon broke from its tether at a ball hockey tournament in New Brunswick over the weekend...
Child Python Victims
Played in Snake Case: Pics
Aug 7, 2013 4:16 PM CDT
Child Python Victims Played in Snake Case: Pics
Autopsy finds boys died from asphyxiation
- The mother of two small boys strangled by a 100-pound python in their sleep earlier this week in Canada had posted photos on Facebook last year of the boys playing in and cleaning her neighbor's snake enclosure. Mandy Trecartin's Facebook page has hundreds of photos of her sons,...
PETA Accuses Monks of 'Un-Christian' Farming
Dec 11, 2009 1:52 PM CST
PETA Accuses Monks of 'Un-Christian' Farming
Group wants Candian abbey to give up its chickens
- PETA is waging a campaign to get monks at a Canadian monastery to reform farming practices the group decries as inhumane. "It denies God to treat animals this way," said a PETA official of the New Brunswick abbey, which produces about 300,000 chickens yearly. The campaign has...
Now a Hurricane,
Kyle Heads for Maine
Sep 27, 2008 3:39 PM CDT
Now a Hurricane, Kyle Heads for Maine
Canadian provinces may take brunt of landfall tomorrow
- A rare hurricane watch was posted for part of the Maine coast today as Tropical Storm Kyle was upgraded to hurricane strength, the AP reports. Kyle's center was forecast to be near eastern New England or the Canadian Maritime provinces late tomorrow. "Hurricane season isn't over, " a Maine...
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.