Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Israel-Hamas Truce Expires
Stories 1 - 20 |
UK Pop Group S Club 7
'Devastated' by Singer's Death
Apr 7, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
UK Pop Group S Club 7 'Devastated' by Singer's Death
Paul Cattermole, 46, died of so-far unknown causes, right before band's reunion tour in October
- Paul Cattermole, a member of early-2000s British pop group S Club 7, has died just weeks after the band announced a reunion tour. He was 46. The band and Cattermole's family said Friday that "it is with great sadness that we announce the unexpected passing of our beloved...
Apr 6, 2022 6:17 PM CDT
Teen Idol Rode Wave Between Elvis, Beatles
Bobby Rydell also starred in the musical 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- Bobby Rydell, a heartthrob of early rock 'n' roll who was a star of radio, television, and the movie musical
Bye Bye Birdie
, died Tuesday. Rydell died of complications from pneumonia at a hospital in a suburb of his hometown of Philadelphia, the AP reports. Rydell, who credited a...
Katy Perry Emerges the
Victor in 'Dark Horse' Suit
Mar 11, 2022 9:00 AM CST
Katy Perry Emerges the Victor in 'Dark Horse' Suit
Songwriters are off the hook as court upholds decision to vacate copyright infringement ruling
Katy Perry and her co-writers of "Dark Horse" can breathe a sigh of relief. A federal appeals court ruled 3-0 on Thursday that Christian rapper Flame—initially awarded $2.8 million in damages for copyright infringement—failed to prove anything "original" was copied from his 2009 song...
Courtney Love Would Prefer
Olivia Rodrigo Ask First
Jun 28, 2021 2:38 PM CDT
Courtney Love Would Prefer Olivia Rodrigo Ask First
The '90s rocker wants a note and flowers from the teen Disney star
- Courtney Love had better get a card and flowers soon. She’s big mad at Geffen Records, and a little peeved at Olivia Rodrigo, too. She posted a photo of the art for Rodrigo’s Sour Prom concert film to her Facebook page and captioned it “Spot the difference!...
Daft Punk Says Goodbye
After Explosive Video
Feb 22, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Daft Punk Says Goodbye After Explosive Video
French duo's lucky streak ends for good after nearly 30 years
- Monday morning on Facebook , a strange message came down the feed from Daft Punk: a link to an eight-minute YouTube video entitled "Epilogue," an excerpt from the French duo's 2006 sci-fi film
, per Pitchfork . The clip, which also popped up on the group's website , shows...
Hall & Oates Rocker: You
Can't 'Comprehend' How I Lived
Feb 22, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Hall & Oates Rocker: You Can't 'Comprehend' How I Lived
John Oates explains his old love life
- Well, he might just be right. John Oates, of the mega pop duo Hall & Oates, says "there's no way you can comprehend" his love life back in the day. "I'm sure it was thousands," he tells the
New York Post
when asked how many...
He Never Wanted to Be a Music
Icon. He Became One Anyway
Feb 25, 2019 6:40 PM CST
He Never Wanted to Be a Music Icon. He Became One Anyway
Talk Talk's Mark Hollis dead at age 64: reports
- The frontman and creative mind behind the UK's Talk Talk has reportedly died at the age of 64. Per the
, Anthony Costello, believed to be a relative of Mark Hollis', tweeted Monday, "RIP Mark Hollis. Cousin-in-law. Wonderful husband and father. Fascinating and principled man. Retired from the...
Phone Call Got Me Fired
Dec 9, 2018 4:36 PM CST
Buckingham: 'Screaming' Phone Call Got Me Fired
Ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist says it's finally over and done
- Lindsey Buckingham's exit from Fleetwood Mac is official—legally speaking—and he sounds like a man who's getting close to acceptance: "I'm happy enough with it," the guitarist tells CBS News , saying the band has settled their lawsuit. "I'm not out there trying...
May 17, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Everybody, Backstreet's Back—Again
Band releases first new single since 2013
- Backstreet's back for the first time in five years. The Backstreet Boys, who just celebrated 25 years together, released their first new single since 2013 on Thursday, along with a music video featuring plenty of five-person dance formations. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," not to be...
'Musical Midlife Crisis'
Comes at Age 42
Apr 25, 2015 6:57 AM CDT
'Musical Midlife Crisis' Comes at Age 42
Plus: parents aren't hip, and our musical taste 'matures' when we're 35
- Don't be surprised if, at age 42, you find yourself turning to Top 40 once again. A taste expert at Spotify, Ajay Kalia, turned to data from the service to determine that we're most into chart-toppers in our teenage years, the
reports. But "around age 42,...
Sep 7, 2014 6:00 PM CDT
'Brilliant' Babymetal Upsets 'Troo' Metalheads
Many critics love Japanese metal-pop band
- The Japanese band Babymetal mixes headbanging with J-pop melodies and choreography in a way that "upsets the status quo"—and that's a good thing, writes Adrien Begrand at NPR . While metal fans are divided over the trio of Japanese teen girls (Suzuka Nakamoto, Yui Mizuno, and Moa...
Feb 22, 2014 3:20 PM CST
What Bieber, the Beatles Share in Common
Canadian singer and classic band like the same rhymes
- Think the Beatles and Justin Bieber have nothing in common? Not so: They each used
more than any other rhyme, which isn't so odd considering that Madonna, Prince, Kanye West, Bob Dylan, and most other top-selling pop musicians between 1960 and 2013 favored it too, reports Slate . According...
Dead at 72
Mar 30, 2013 1:53 PM CDT
Hitmaking Producer Phil Ramone Dead at 72
Streisand, Sinatra, Billy Joel among artists who worked with him
- You may not know his name, but Phil Ramone—one of the most successful music producers of his era—died in a New York hospital this morning at age 72, Billboard reports. He had been admitted late last month with an aortic aneurysm. His incredible career included 14 Grammy awards,...
Mar 8, 2013 1:43 AM CST
Bieber Faints Onstage in London
But he still finishes the show
- More evidence of a meltdown ? Justin Bieber collapsed during a performance last night at a London arena. Backstage, he was given oxygen as he took a 20-minute break; then he hit the stage again to finish the show, against doctors' recommendations, Reuters reports. Bieber had been "very light...
Feb 13, 2013 2:52 AM CST
Lady Gaga Postpones Shows Over 'Chronic Pain'
Calls it a show injury, plans to be back for gig Tuesday
- Lady Gaga is postponing three performances because she's suffering from synovitis, or "severe inflammation of the joints," according to her Twitter account. She's delaying shows in Chicago, Detroit, and Hamilton, Ontario, the BBC reports. "To the fans in Chicago Detroit & Hamilton I hope you...
Dec 20, 2012 4:22 AM CST
Soloists Die Young More Often Than Band Members
Plus: European rockers less likely to die prematurely
- Hey, pop stars: Want to live a long and healthy life? You're better off joining a band, a study finds. Famous solo musicians suffer double the early-death risk that band members face, say researchers who reviewed the lives of 1,400 stars active between 1956 and 2006. As of...
Popular Protest Songs
Might Be Gone Forever
Aug 22, 2012 1:46 PM CDT
Popular Protest Songs Might Be Gone Forever
Today's music is apolitical, and don't expect that to change: Stephen Walt
- Heard any good American protest songs lately? Yeah, probably not, and Stephen M. Walt laments the demise of the artform in Foreign Policy . It's not like there's a shortage of things to write about, given the context of two wars, the lousy economy, and a seeming national contempt...
Stones, Bowie, Kate Bush
Snubbed Olympic Show
Aug 13, 2012 5:22 PM CDT
Stones, Bowie, Kate Bush Snubbed Olympic Show
Aging stars turned down offer to perform
- The star-studded Olympic closing bash seemed to include all of Britain's pop royalty, but in fact major figures snubbed the event—including David Bowie, Kate Bush, and the Rolling Stones, the
reports. Bowie, 65, was considered a long-shot because he hasn't toured since 2006. Rumor had it...
Is Kim Jong Un
Dating a Pop Star?
Jul 11, 2012 4:48 AM CDT
Is Kim Jong Un Dating a Pop Star?
Spotted with singer of 'Excellent Horse-Like Lady'
- Celebrity gossip all the way from Pyongyang: A woman spotted with supreme leader Kim Jong Un recently isn't his sister, as earlier reports suggested. Instead, she has been identified as a pop star his late father once refused to let him see, the
reports. Hyon Song Wol,...
Pop Music Getting
Jun 2, 2012 9:31 AM CDT
Pop Music Getting Sadder, More Complex
New songs tend toward minor scales and mixed emotions
- Pop music is getting sadder, slower, and more sophisticated, according to a new study published in a psychology journal. Researchers analyzed Top 40 hits in
from the mid-60's through 2010 and discovered that popular tunes have increasingly been written in "minor modes"—which associate with darker...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.