Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iconic Stop-Motion Studio
Pooh-Poohs Ominous Report
Nov 20, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Iconic Stop-Motion Studio Pooh-Poohs Ominous Report
Aardman Animations says it has 'high levels' of clay
- Aardman Animations says it's "touched" by concerns that it might be running out of clay for its stop-motion animation creations—but fans have "absolutely no need to worry." In a post on X on Monday, the British maker of the
Wallace & Gromit
Man Who Worked for Disney
Longer Than Anyone Has Died
Feb 28, 2023 12:27 PM CST
Man Who Worked for Disney Longer Than Anyone Has Died
Burny Mattinson was set to receive company's first 70-year service award
- Disney's longest-serving employee—an animator, writer, and director who worked on films ranging from 1955's
Lady and the Tramp
—has died. Burny Mattinson, described by CEO Bob Iger as a "legend" and "a true icon" of Disney Animation, died Monday at...
Nearly a Century
Dec 13, 2022 1:08 PM CST
Disney Revives Character After Nearly a Century
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who preceded Mickey Mouse, stars in new animated short
- Mickey Mouse's rabbit forefather just came back from the Disney dead. Considered Walt Disney's "first breakout animated star," Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was first introduced to audiences in the 1927 short
. Disney went on to create 26 shorts starring the plucky rabbit...
Co-Creator of Beloved
Holiday Specials Dies at 87
Oct 28, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Co-Creator of Beloved Holiday Specials Dies at 87
Jules Bass brought 'Frosty' to life
- Jules Bass, co-creator of some of the most beloved Christmas specials in history, has died at age 87. Bass, described by
as an "animator, producer, director, and composer," worked with Arthur Rankin Jr. on holiday specials including
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Frosty the Snowman
Sitcom Is About
to Get Animated
May 14, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Popular '90s Sitcom Is About to Get Animated
Cartoon version of 'Married With Children,' with original cast, is in the works
- The dream team of Ed O'Neill, Katey Sagal, Christina Applegate, and David Faustino are getting together again for a revival of their popular Fox sitcom,
Married With Children
—this time in cartoon format. Sources tell Deadline the animated reboot "is being pitched to networks and streamers and is...
It Was Like TV
for the Stone Age
Apr 25, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
It Was Like TV for the Stone Age
Study suggests cave artists used firelight to animate their work around the hearth
- A museumgoer who checks out a prehistoric drawing etched on a rock sees only the static image, safely housed under a glass case under controlled light. A new study suggests the people who first looked at the same rock saw something else entirely—a dynamic image that appeared to be...
19 Bodies Found Piled on Top
of Each Other at Anime Studio
Jul 19, 2019 6:39 AM CDT
19 Bodies Found Piled on Top of Each Other at Anime Studio
Only 6 of 74 people escaped Kyoto building uninjured
- The man accused of setting fire to an anime studio in Japan, killing at least 33 people in one of the country's deadliest postwar mass murders, has been identified as Shinji Aoba. The 41-year-old man is being treated for burns in a hospital and police have so far been...
Alleged Japan Arsonist:
'They Ripped Me Off'
Jul 18, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Alleged Japan Arsonist: 'They Ripped Me Off'
Witness overhears his complaint to police as death toll rises to 33
- It's "too appalling even for words," says Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. He was referring to the alleged arson at an anime studio in Kyoto that has taken the lives of at least 33 people so far. More than 30 others were injured, some critically. Here is...
Dozens Killed in Arson
at Animation Studio
Jul 18, 2019 6:10 AM CDT
Dozens Killed in Arson at Animation Studio
Kyoto suspect shouted 'Drop dead!'
- At least 26 people were killed and dozens more injured in a suspected arson attack at one of Japan's most famous anime studios Thursday morning. Police say a man "threw a liquid and set fire to it" in the attack at the Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio building,...
Isao Takahata Dies
Apr 6, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Anime Legend Isao Takahata Dies
Producer co-founded Studio Ghibli
- Isao Takahata, co-founder of the prestigious Japanese animator Studio Ghibli, which stuck to a hand-drawn "manga" look in the face of digital filmmaking, has died. He was 82. Takahata, who directed
Grave of the Fireflies
, a tragic tale about wartime childhood, died Thursday of lung cancer at a Tokyo...
Ren & Stimpy
of Grooming Teens
Mar 30, 2018 6:24 AM CDT
Ren & Stimpy
Creator Accused of Grooming Teens
He 'ruined a good bit of my childhood,' woman says
Ren & Stimpy
creator Jon Kricfalusi is seen as something of an elder statesman of animation—but to two former employees, he seems more like a dirty old man. Robyn Byrd and Katie Rice say they were in their early teens and Kricfalusi was nearly 40 when he contacted and...
One of the
Nov 14, 2016 8:51 AM CST
One of the World's Most Beloved Animators Is Unretiring
Hayao Miyazaki working on another full-length feature
- Turns out, one of the world's most acclaimed animators isn't done making movies yet. In what is
news in certain camps, Japan's Hayao Miyazaki , 75, is working on a full-length feature despite announcing his retirement from such ventures in 2013, reports Anime News Network . Back then,...
Apr 28, 2016 10:44 AM CDT
Comcast Just Bought DreamWorks for $3.8B
That's right—Shrek is marrying the Minions in possible bid to rival Disney
- In animating news for DreamWorks, Comcast's NBCUniversal will scoop up the studio, behind such films as
Kung Fu Panda
, in a deal worth $3.8 billion, the AP reports. The acquisition, which the
Los Angeles Times
says came together with "breathtaking speed," will result in...
'Holy Grail' Disney Cartoon
Rediscovered 87 Years Later
Nov 7, 2015 9:10 AM CST
'Holy Grail' Disney Cartoon Rediscovered 87 Years Later
Oswald short has not been viewed since 1928
- Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, the original famous Disney character before Mickey Mouse came along, appears in a long-lost six-minute cartoon recently found in the British Film Institute's archives, the
reports. "Sleigh Bells" was broadcast in 1928, but all copies were thought to have been lost and it...
The Wind Rises
Is a Beautiful,
Feb 21, 2014 11:52 AM CST
The Wind Rises
Is a Beautiful, Difficult Finale for Miyazaki
Film is typically lyrical, atypically realistic, and a little controversial
- What might be Hayao Miyazaki's last film makes its US debut this weekend, and naturally critics are in love with it. The beloved filmmaker announced his retirement after
debuted at the Venice Film Festival last year. Since then the movie—a biopic of Jiro Horikoshi, who...
Pulls Off a
Dec 16, 2013 8:54 AM CST
Pulls Off a Resurrection
Seth MacFarlane was offering fans a 'lesson'
- After a few weeks in the afterlife , Brian the dog is back on
. ABC News explains the resurrection: With help from a Christmas wish to save his best friend, baby Stewie travels back in time and pushes Brian out of the way of an oncoming car. Briefly, the...
Critics Warm to Disney's
Nov 27, 2013 10:20 AM CST
Critics Warm to Disney's
Disney's latest fairy tale is Broadway-ready
- Disney looks poised for another fairy-tale success with
, a tale of two sisters based on Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen." In the first Disney animated feature co-directed by a woman, Jennifer Lee, filmmakers appear to have their sights set on Broadway, reviewers note.
Nov 25, 2013 10:51 AM CST
Tragedy Strikes on
See below for surprising spoiler
- Major spoiler alert: A member of the
family died in last night's episode, and apparently it wasn't a joke. Brian the dog was hit by a car during a street hockey game with baby Stewie, the
reports. His last, not-so-funny words: "You’ve...
Sep 30, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
Scares Up Record Debut
'Looper' takes second while 'Won't Back Down' tanks
scared off the competition this weekend with the strongest debut since
The Dark Knight Rises
and the best September bow ever, says the
The animation film's $43 million opening ousted
Sweet Home Alabama
, which banked $35.6 million on its first weekend, albeit without premium...
Aug 30, 2012 3:35 PM CDT
Over Kenny's Deaths
'Simpsons' takes hit over 'Itchy & Scratchy'
- Excessive violence—read: Kenny's deaths and the
Itchy & Scratchy Show
facing censorship in Russia. Because of Kenny's recurring demise,
will have to air after 11pm on a national channel aimed at young adults, AFP reports via Raw Story . The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.