Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sep 17, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
New Cancer Update From Alex Trebek
'Jeopardy' host says his 'numbers' spiked, he's back on chemo
- Nearly four months ago, Alex Trebek delivered the "mind-boggling" news to fans that his pancreatic cancer was "near remission." The
host was doing so well that his doctors even halted his chemo treatment, opting to use immunotherapy instead. Now, however, a bit of a setback: On...
'On the Mend':
Aug 29, 2019 6:16 PM CDT
'On the Mend': Alex Trebek Returns to
Host has been fighting pancreatic cancer
host Alex Trebek has returned to work, saying he's "on the mend" following treatment for pancreatic cancer. The game show posted a video Thursday on Twitter showing the 79-year-old host back on set and promising "a good year" ahead. He actually started work on July 22,...
Here's Where $1K of
Holzhauer's Money Went
Jun 18, 2019 2:59 PM CDT
Here's Where $1K of Holzhauer's Money Went
Well, $1,109.14, a fact that Jeopardy! trivia fans might understand the significance of
pro James Holzhauer is $2,462,216 richer, minus what he owes Uncle Sam. And minus a little more than $1,000. The Naperville, Illinois, native was asked to participate in this year's Naperville Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk, a fundraising event started by Ann Zediker, whose father died...
Librarian Who Beat Holzhauer
Is Using a Familiar Strategy
Jun 6, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Librarian Who Beat Holzhauer Is Using a Familiar Strategy
Emma Boettcher has won 3 in a row and bets big on Daily Doubles, as Holzhauer did
- Don't look now, but the
player who dethroned James Holzhauer has a three-day streak of her own going. Chicago librarian Emma Boettcher, 27, has racked up more than $97,000 heading into Thursday's game, reports the
. The winning average may not be as high as...
Alex Trebek Has
May 29, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Alex Trebek Has 'Mind-Boggling' News
'Jeopardy!' host is 'near remission'
- Alex Trebek has "kind of mind-boggling" news: Doctors say he's "near remission," the
host shares with
. Even though stage 4 pancreatic cancer, with which he was diagnosed, has just a 9% five-year survival rate, per ABC News , Trebek has been responding extremely well to...
I Have 'Surges
of Deep, Deep
May 1, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Alex Trebek: I Have 'Surges of Deep, Deep Sadness'
'Jeopardy!' host talks about his cancer diagnosis
- Alex Trebek gave his first live interview since revealing earlier this year that he has pancreatic cancer , and the
host was honest about his struggles. "My oncologist tells me I'm doing well even though I don't always feel it," he said on
Good Morning America
Gambler Sets Another
Apr 18, 2019 4:25 AM CDT
Gambler Sets Another
Alex Trebek says he'll be back for another season
- A professional sports gambler from Las Vegas has broken his own single-episode winnings record on
, the AP reports. James Holzhauer won $131,127 during a show aired Wednesday night, breaking the record that viewers saw him set last week. Due to the game show's taping schedule, the records...
His Style Is 'Cold-Blooded'
Apr 17, 2019 7:52 AM CDT
Champ Says His Style Is 'Cold-Blooded'
James Holzhauer scores 9th win in a row
champ James Holzhauer is now the second-biggest winner in the show's history—and while he has a long way to go to catch Ken Jennings, he may not have to match Jennings' 74-game winning streak to get there. The 34-year-old professional sports gambler won for the ninth time...
Apr 16, 2019 1:19 PM CDT
Could This Gambler Surpass Ken Jennings?
James Holzhauer moves into second place for Jeopardy! winnings
- As a
champion, Ken Jennings seems untouchable. After arriving on Alex Trebek's set in 2004, Jennings racked up 74 consecutive wins and $2,520,700, the show's website says. He might have some competition brewing, however. James Holzhauer still has a long way to go, but he...
Alex Trebek on
'I'm a Lucky Guy'
Mar 15, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Alex Trebek on Fan Reaction: 'I'm a Lucky Guy'
'Jeopardy!' host offers thanks in video after revealing his cancer
- Alex Trebek's recent sad news that he has late-stage pancreatic cancer has prompted a somewhat more uplifting development: all of his fans letting him know that they're pulling for him. In a short video posted Thursday to the official
Twitter account, accompanied by the caption "thank...
Has Sad News
Mar 6, 2019 6:45 PM CST
Alex Trebek Has Sad News
The 'Jeopardy' host has pancreatic cancer
- In his usual steady voice, Alex Trebek revealed Wednesday that he's facing the fight of his life: stage 4 pancreatic cancer, CNN reports. "Now, normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I'm going to fight this," the 78-year-old says in a video on...
Coming This Week:
Feb 18, 2019 12:30 PM CST
Coming This Week: A Big
Team championship starts Wednesday, runs through March 5
- Glance around the
set during rehearsals for its first-ever team championship and it's easy to be intimidated by the assembled brain power. There's Brad Rutter, whose overall
haul, $4.3 million, is the most won on any game show. And Ken Jennings, a 74-game winner who...
Alex Trebek Says He Knows
How Trudeau Escapes Meetings
Nov 14, 2018 4:03 AM CST
Alex Trebek Says He Knows How Trudeau Escapes Meetings
'He has a buzzer under his shirt'
- There's more than a Superman costume hidden beneath Justin Trudeau's suit, according to fellow Canadian Alex Trebek. "He has a buzzer under his shirt that he can use to signal his assistants when it’s time to come and get him," the
host told Vulture...
Alex Trebek Weighs in on
Nov 12, 2018 7:00 PM CST
Alex Trebek Weighs in on #MeToo Movement
The Jeopardy host recently called it a 'scary time for men'
- Alex Trebek has offered his two cents on the #MeToo movement, but not everyone will be happy with his take. In a recent interview with Vulture , the
host called it a "scary time for men" but said he's never been "in a position of power where...
Oct 4, 2018 12:55 PM CDT
Apologetic Trebek Explains His Debate Performance
'I didn't realize I was to ask a simple question and then let the gentlemen go at each other'
- Alex Trebek is apologizing after his much-panned gig moderating the Pennsylvania gubernatorial debate Monday night. The
host, who was accused of talking way too much and was actually booed during the debate, issued a three-paragraph mea culpa Wednesday explaining that he "misunderstood" his role, the
Alex Trebek Literally Gets
Booed as Debate Moderator
Oct 2, 2018 11:26 AM CDT
Alex Trebek Literally Gets Booed as Debate Moderator
One Pennsylvania newspaper says he turned gubernatorial debate into 'dumpster fire'
- It may not be clear who won Monday's debate between Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and his Republican challenger, Scott Wagner. But one thing seems clear based on Tuesday morning's reaction: Moderator Alex Trebek lost. Yes, the
host took on that unusual duty, and the reviews have not...
Sep 28, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Audience Member on
Gives Winning Answer
Her boyfriend was a contestant, and he had a big question for her: a marriage proposal
- It usually takes contestants on
a second or two to come up with questions, but an audience member on Thursday night's episode had an instantaneous answer for one query,
reports. That person was Maria Shafer, whose boyfriend, contestant Michael Pascuzzi, was being introduced by host Alex...
Apparently Don't Play
Sep 27, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
Contestants Apparently Don't Play Video Games
They really struggled with this category
- It was the end of a round of Jeopardy and none of the questions in the "Video Games" category had been attempted. When the contestants had no other choice than to give those questions a try, the reason why became clear. In what GameSpot calls a "cringe-worthy" and...
Alex Trebek Names Possible
Jul 31, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
Alex Trebek Names Possible New
He's considering retiring in 2020
- Who is a beloved host of a long-running game show considering retirement? The answer is Alex Trebek, host of
since 1984. The Canadian-born host's latest contract expires in 2020, when he will be 80. He told TMZ's Harvey Levin on Fox's
on Monday that the...
Questions Did Not Go Well
Feb 2, 2018 9:22 AM CST
Football Questions Did Not Go Well
All five met with silence
- It's Super Bowl week, no better time for
to roll out questions under the category of "Talkin' Football." Based on Thursday's show, however, Alex Trebek and company might not try it again. All three contestants displayed comic ineptness, which had the host delivering some "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
As Testimony Ends, Cheney's Closing Called 'Stunning'
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
'This Is the Smoking Gun,' Legal Analyst Says
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.