Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Campaign That Led to Teacher's
Beheading Was Based on a Lie
Mar 9, 2021 9:01 AM CST
Campaign That Led to Teacher's Beheading Was Based on a Lie
Suspended student claimed she was kicked out of Samuel Paty's class, prompting attack from father
- An online campaign targeting a French teacher who was beheaded days later started with a lie. That's according to
, which reports a 13-year-old student has admitted to a judge that she lied when she claimed to be a witness to Samuel Paty's Oct. 6 lesson on...
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in
France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
Oct 29, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
3 dead, several injured at Nice church in what mayor says is another terror attack
- A knife attack at a church in Nice, France, has left three people dead and several others injured, with the mayor of the city declaring it has all the signs of a terror attack. The
report the attack took place around 9am at and near the...
Paid Over $350
for Inside Help:
Oct 21, 2020 4:04 PM CDT
Teacher's Killer Paid Over $350 for Inside Help: Prosecutor
Abdullakh Anzorov allegedly got help from 2 teenage students
- The guy who beheaded a teacher in France may have paid two students more than $350 to help him out, the BBC reports. Prosecutors say Abdullakh Anzorov, 18—who was later shot dead by police—paid two students, age 14 and 15, to identify Samuel Paty when he left his...
France Raids Homes,
Detains Students in
Oct 19, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
France Raids Homes, Detains Students in Teacher's Slaying
Samuel Paty had shown Muhammad caricatures in class
- French police raided dozens of homes Monday in a search for suspected radicals and took more people into custody in the slaying of a teacher who had shown cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in class. The raids go beyond the investigation of the slaying of Samuel Paty, 47. The teacher...
Suspect in Teacher's
Beheading Was a Teenager
Oct 17, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Suspect in Teacher's Beheading Was a Teenager
Officials have arrested 9 suspects in the killing of teacher Samuel Paty
- A suspect shot dead by police after the beheading of a history teacher near Paris was an 18-year-old Chechen refugee unknown to intelligence services who posted a grisly claim of responsibility on social media minutes after the attack, officials said Saturday. France’s anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office said authorities investigating...
7 Sentenced to Die
for 2016 Terror Attack
Nov 27, 2019 12:13 AM CST
7 Sentenced to Die for 2016 Terror Attack
Bangladesh extremists killed 20 hostages
- A special anti-terrorism tribunal in Bangladesh has sentenced seven members of a banned militant group to death for their involvement in an attack on a Dhaka cafe that killed more than 20 people. Judge Mojibur Rahman on Wednesday found the men from the Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh group guilty of various...
2 Women Plead
Guilty to Terror Plot
Aug 24, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
2 Women Plead Guilty to Terror Plot
Asia Siddiqui, 35, and Noelle Velentzas, 31, appeared in federal court
- Two New York women who went crazy for al-Qaeda—one of whom had an Osama bin Laden screensaver on her phone—pleaded guilty Friday to bomb-making charges in federal court, the
New York Post
reports. Asia Siddiqui, 35, and Noelle Velentzas, 31, could get 20 years each. After pleading not...
Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Jul 13, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Shocking Hotel Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Including 2 Americans and a prominent journalist
- Islamic extremists blew up the gate of a Somali hotel with a car bomb and took over the building for more than 14 hours, leaving 26 people dead before Somali forces who besieged the hotel overnight killed the attackers, the AP reports. The victims included a prominent Canadian-Somali journalist. Three...
Sri Lanka President:
'I Will Stamp Out ISIS'
Apr 26, 2019 7:45 AM CDT
Sri Lanka President: 'I Will Stamp Out ISIS'
Authorities say ringleader died in hotel bombing
- The alleged ringleader of the group of Islamic extremists behind the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings blew himself up in the attack, authorities say, though they fear other militants still at large could carry out more attacks. President Maithripala Sirisena said Friday that radical preacher Zahran Hashim was one of...
Official: Easter Bombings
Were 'Revenge for Christchurch'
Apr 23, 2019 6:58 AM CDT
Official: Easter Bombings Were 'Revenge for Christchurch'
American 5th-grader was among Sri Lanka victims
- The father of 11-year-old Kieran Shafritz de Zoysa says his "articulate and insightful and kind" son was one of the Americans killed in the Sri Lanka Easter Sunday bombings. The fifth-grader was staying with his mother in Sri Lanka during a leave of absence from the prestigious Sidwell Friends...
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent
Subversion' Halted in Germany
Mar 30, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent Subversion' Halted in Germany
10 have been arrested for allegedly plotting terror attack
- German police say they've arrested 10 people in the west of the country on suspicion of planning an Islamic extremist terror attack, per the AP . The DPA news agency reported the suspects were taken into custody on Friday and Saturday in the towns of Essen, Duesseldorf, Wuppertal, Moenchengladbach, Duisburg...
Dozens of Bodies Found After
Pro-ISIS Group's Last Stand
Oct 23, 2017 12:06 AM CDT
Dozens of Bodies Found After Pro-ISIS Group's Last Stand
Siege in Philippine city is finally over
- Philippine troops have captured a building where pro-ISIS militants made their final stand in southern Marawi city and found about 40 bodies of suspected gunmen inside, two security officials say. The officials say the seizure of the building and the defeat of the militants will allow the military to declare...
18 Killed in Extremist Attack
on Burkina Faso Restaurant
Aug 14, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
18 Killed in Extremist Attack on Burkina Faso Restaurant
Armed attackers arrived on motorcycles
- Suspected Islamic extremists opened fire at a Turkish restaurant in the capital of Burkina Faso late Sunday, killing at least 18 people in the second such attack on a restaurant popular with foreigners in the last two years. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the violence, which continued...
France Kills 20 Insurgents
in Remote African Region
May 1, 2017 12:45 AM CDT
France Kills 20 Insurgents in Remote African Region
French forces strike forest near Mali border
- French forces fighting extremism in Africa's Sahel region say they have killed at least 20 jihadists in a forest on the border between Mali and Burkina Faso. A statement Sunday from Operation Barkhane says soldiers also discovered large amounts of arms, ammunition, rocket launchers, and explosives in the area....
As Suspect Arrested
in Bombing, German
Soccer Team Plays on
Apr 13, 2017 12:11 AM CDT
As Suspect Arrested in Bombing, German Soccer Team Plays on
Dortmund lost hastily rescheduled game 3-2
- German authorities arrested a suspected Islamic extremist Wednesday in their investigation into a bomb attack on a top German soccer team , while the team—missing a defender wounded in the blast—lost 3-2 to Monaco in a hastily rescheduled Champions League match. Amid heightened security, the defeat for Borussia Dortmund...
How ISIS Is Trying
to Be Like Japan's
Mar 3, 2017 12:04 PM CST
How ISIS Is Trying to Be Like Japan's Kamikaze Fighters
Military targets are now in terrorists' sights more than civilian ones
- Suicide bombing is nothing new in terrorism circles, but for Islamic State extremists, the tactic is getting a revamp. The
reports on a new study released Monday out of the International Centre for Counter-terrorism in the Hague that shows a definite shift in how jihadi are using the...
13 Killed in
on Somalia Hotel
Jan 25, 2017 12:07 AM CST
13 Killed in Massive Assault on Somalia Hotel
Attack involved twin bombs, team of fighters
- Terror and mayhem returned to the streets of Somalia's capital Wednesday with an attack on a luxury hotel that involved a team of gunmen and at least two bombs. Police tell Reuters that at least 13 people, including civilians and security forces, were killed when militants attacked Mogadishu's...
In Germany, a Massive Raid,
a Ban on the 'True Religion'
Nov 15, 2016 1:03 AM CST
In Germany, a Massive Raid, a Ban on the 'True Religion'
Islamic group accused of radicalizing teens
- Hundreds of police officers searched about 190 offices, mosques, and apartments of members and supporters of the Islamic group "The True Religion" as the German government announced a ban of the organization Tuesday, the AP reports. Police raided places in 60 cities in western Germany and Berlin seizing documents...
Its Grip Weakening,
Boko Haram Unleashes
New Wave of Horror
Feb 1, 2016 5:55 AM CST
Its Grip Weakening, Boko Haram Unleashes New Wave of Horror
There have been 3 attacks in a week; dozens killed Saturday
- Boko Haram stormed homes in northeastern Nigeria on Saturday night, killing dozens of people that included sleeping children, the latest in a recent spate of horrific attacks by the Islamic extremist group. The killings happened near Maiduguri, the capital of Nigeria's Borno Province, the
New York Times
Muslims Save Christians
in Kenya Bus Attack
Dec 22, 2015 8:56 AM CST
Muslims Save Christians in Kenya Bus Attack
They hid, disguised fellow passengers from al-Shabab
- Al-Shabab militants attacked a bus in Kenya on Monday but were thwarted by Muslims who protected Christians on board. Officials say the militants stopped a bus carrying more than 100 people from Nairobi to Mandera, near the border with Somalia and Ethiopia. Buses travel with police escorts because the route...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Miracle Boy' in Florida Condo Collapse Tells His Story
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.