Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University Handing Out
Grants for Doing Nothing
Aug 21, 2020 7:38 AM CDT
University Handing Out Grants for Doing Nothing
German school to dole out 3 'idleness grants' of $1.9K each
- Getting a university grant sometimes requires an extraordinary amount of work. In this case, not so much. The University of Fine Arts in Hamburg, Germany, is handing out three "idleness grants" of $1,900 each, reports UPI . The name is accurate: The university will pay four people to do...
He Was a Teen SS Guard.
Jul 23, 2020 6:55 AM CDT
He Was a Teen SS Guard. Now, Consequences
Bruno Dey, 93, receives 2-year suspended sentence for WWII atrocities at Stutthof
- An ex-SS guard who served at a Nazi death camp when he was a teen was found guilty Thursday of being an accessory to 5,232 murders. CBS News reports Bruno Dey, 93, had faced up to 10 years in prison, with prosecutors seeking three. He instead received a two-year...
Weeks After Restoration,
19th-Century Schooner Sinks
Jun 10, 2019 4:28 AM CDT
Weeks After Restoration, 19th-Century Schooner Sinks
It collided with a cargo ship near Hamburg
- A newly restored wooden 19th-century ship sank just weeks after it was restored at a cost of $1.7 million. The No. 5 Elbe schooner, built in 1883, sank after a collision with a container ship near Hamburg, Germany, on Saturday, the BBC reports. Six adults and two children were...
Tillerson's Take on Trump-Putin
Meeting Infuriates Trump
May 23, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Tillerson's Take on Trump-Putin Meeting Infuriates Trump
President says it was Tillerson who was 'totally ill prepared'
- Rex Tillerson was "totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State," according to the man who appointed him. President Trump's tweeted insults about Tillerson, whom he again referred to as "dumb as a rock" on Thursday, came after Tillerson told the House Foreign...
Alert Webcam Viewer
Saves a Life
Mar 21, 2019 1:33 PM CDT
Alert Webcam Viewer Saves a Life
Viewer in Germany spotted man floating by in river, called police
- A German man was watching a webcam attached to a ferry pier in Hamburg, along the Elbe River, early Thursday when he spotted something that didn't belong: an elderly man floating by. His quick call to police saved the 72-year-old, who local media report had fallen into the water...
Out After G20
—Save the Rioters
Jul 9, 2017 6:29 AM CDT
Hamburg Empties Out After G20 —Save the Rioters
Anti-globalization protests continue a 3rd night even after leaders go home
- Anti-globalization activists rioted for a third night in Hamburg early Sunday even after Group of 20 leaders had already left the northern Germany city. Police again used water cannon trucks against rioters attacking them with iron rods and pavement blocks. They arrested 186 protesters and temporarily detained another 225 people....
Trump Not the
Same as TV
Jul 8, 2017 5:00 PM CDT
Putin: In-Person Trump Not the Same as TV Trump
Russian president also thinks Trump accepted his election-interference denials
- Vladimir Putin came away from his two-hour-plus meeting with President Trump Friday in Hamburg, Germany, with some definite impressions—notably, that the Trump we see on TV may not bear much similarity to the Trump behind the scenes, the
reports. "Trump on television very much differs from the...
Ivanka's 'Somewhat Unusual'
G20 Move Has Internet Abuzz
Jul 8, 2017 2:30 PM CDT
Ivanka's 'Somewhat Unusual' G20 Move Has Internet Abuzz
First daughter took President Trump's place at table during meeting of world leaders
- President Trump stood out Saturday as the only G20 leader not offering his support for the Paris climate agreement , but that wasn't the only buzzworthy happening in Hamburg with the name "Trump" attached to it. Per Bloomberg , when the president slipped away from a meeting on migration that...
With Mystery Toxin in Air,
German Airport Evacuates
Feb 12, 2017 8:41 AM CST
With Mystery Toxin in Air, German Airport Evacuates
50 report respiratory problems, authorities suspect hazard spread through air ducts
- German firefighters on Sunday evacuated hundreds of passengers at Hamburg Airport after about 50 people were injured by an unknown hazardous material that likely spread through the airport's air conditioning system, reports the AP . All flights were halted for several hours due to the evacuation, but air traffic started...
Oct 16, 2016 7:49 AM CDT
Giant Hand Plunges Off Church Tower
Fortunately, no one was hurt by falling 6.5-foot hand
- A 44-pound minute hand has fallen off a clock on a Hamburg church tower, plunging 130 feet onto the sidewalk below. Hamburg's fire service said Sunday that the hand fell off the city's St. Katharinen church overnight from Friday to Saturday, news agency dpa reportedvia the AP . No...
Germany Sex Assaults
Were Worse Than Thought
Jul 11, 2016 9:42 AM CDT
Germany Sex Assaults Were Worse Than Thought
2K men assaulted 1.2K women on New Year's Eve
- The New Year's Eve attacks on women in Germany were much more widespread than originally reported. Though police initially identified about 30 suspects in Cologne, a Federal Criminal Police Agency document—obtained by a German newspaper—reveals that an estimated 2,000 men were responsible for attacks on 1,...
UN: ISIS Atrocities Loom
in Besieged Border Town
Oct 8, 2014 4:55 AM CDT
UN: ISIS Atrocities Loom in Besieged Border Town
World must act now to save Kobani, envoy warns
- The world has seen the "massacres, humanitarian tragedies, rapes, horrific violence," and other atrocities that unfold when ISIS seizes a town—and it needs to act now to stop the same happening in the Syrian border city of Kobani , a UN official warns. The UN special envoy for...
Ikea Building Its Own
City District in Germany
Aug 22, 2012 4:15 PM CDT
Ikea Building Its Own City District in Germany
Shops, apartments, and offices for thousands of people
- Swedish furniture superpower Ikea will be assembling and delivering its very own city district, complete with shops, apartments, and office space for thousands of residents, in Hamburg, Germany. "We want to build a new city district for the benefit of Hamburg," says the head of Ikea's property...
Kill 500 Fish?
May 14, 2012 3:00 AM CDT
Did Peeing Swimmers Kill 500 Fish?
Phosphates in urine linked to algae bloom
- It's a pisser. Swimmers who pee in a lake could be responsible for the death of 500 fish. Experts believe a significant amount of urine in popular Eichbaum Lake in northern Germany is linked to an algae bloom that poisoned the fish. "Swimmers who urinate in the lake...
on Berlin Station
Oct 11, 2011 12:36 AM CDT
Cops Thwart Firebomb Attack on Berlin Station
Leftists demand end to Afghan war, call for Bradley Manning release
- Police thwarted a firebomb attack on Berlin's central train station yesterday after a worker discovered several incendiary devices hooked up to detonators. The planned attack was claimed by a leftist group protesting Germany's involvement in the Afghan war and demanding the release of suspected WikiLeaks source US Private...
5 German Terror Suspects
Die in Pakistan Drone Strike
Oct 5, 2010 6:18 AM CDT
5 German Terror Suspects Die in Pakistan Drone Strike
Hamburg cell believed to be behind Europe terror plot
- An American missile attack has killed at least five German nationals suspected of being part of a terror cell training in Pakistan, Pakistani officials say. The missile hit a house in Waziristan, the region where authorities believe a terror cell training for an attack on Europe was hiding out, the...
Hamburg Mosque Used by 9/11 Attackers Shut Down
Aug 9, 2010 9:30 AM CDT
Hamburg Mosque Used by 9/11 Attackers Shut Down
Authorities say it was attracting jihadists, jihad tourists
- A small Hamburg mosque once frequented by the 9/11 attackers was shut down and searched today because German authorities believed the prayer house was again being used as a meeting point for Islamic radicals. The Taiba mosque was closed and the cultural association that runs it was banned. "We...
Sep 5, 2009 6:13 PM CDT
Europe's Sleaziest Tourist Destinations
From Paris to Athens, avoid (or enjoy) these sex-and-drugs zones
- Ah, Europe, home of landmark cafés, glorious historic churches—and stinking, dangerous red-light districts rife with hookers, drug dealers, and pickpockets. Correspondents for the
of London highlight the continent's most tawdry areas.
: Germany's decorous port town turns as seedy as it gets here. Pimps fight turf
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
New Variant Found in More Countries
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.