Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Nazi war crimes
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Former Nazi Camp,
a Devastating Find
Jul 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
In Former Nazi Camp, a Devastating Find
Burned remains of 8K bodies found as Poland continues to press Germany for WWII reparations
- A mass grave containing human ashes representing an estimated 8,000 people has been discovered near the former Nazi concentration camp of Soldau in northern Poland. The country's Institute of National Remembrance, which investigates crimes committed during the Nazi occupation of World War II and the subsequent period of...
Former SS Guard
Oct 7, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
100-Year-Old Former SS Guard Allegedly Helped Kill Thousands
Josef S. hides his face as trial begins in Germany
- A man about to turn 101 is the oldest defendant yet to stand trial for allegedly aiding in the murder of prisoners at a German concentration camp almost 80 years ago. The former guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin, who can only be identified as Josef S. due...
Concentration Camp Secretary,
96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Sep 30, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Concentration Camp Secretary, 96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Irmgard Furchner was detained hours later
- Some 76 years after the end of World War II, an alleged Nazi war criminal made one last effort to escape justice Thursday. A warrant was issued for the arrest of 96-year-old Irmgard Furchner and she was declared a fugitive after she failed to appear at her trial for aiding...
Former Nazi Guard, 100,
Charged as Accessory to Murder
Feb 10, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Former Nazi Guard, 100, Charged as Accessory to Murder
Unnamed man hit with more than 3.5K counts
- German prosecutors have charged a 100-year-old man with 3,518 counts of being an accessory to murder on allegations he served during World War II as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin, authorities said Tuesday. The man is alleged to have worked at...
Former Nazi Guard, 93,
Headed to Juvenile Court
Oct 17, 2019 7:50 AM CDT
Former Nazi Guard, 93, Headed to Juvenile Court
Stutthof guard Bruno Dey, now 93, charged as accessory to murder in 5,230 deaths
- What is likely to be one of the last trials of a former Nazi guard kicks off Thursday in juvenile court in Germany. Bruno Dey is 93 and in poor health, per Deutsche Welle , but prosecutors say that in the height of World War II, he was a 17-year-old SS...
Nazi Hunters Who Found
'Butcher of Lyon' Honored
Oct 10, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
Nazi Hunters Who Found 'Butcher of Lyon' Honored
Serge and Beate Klarsfeld receive some of France's top awards from Macron
- When they married in 1963, Serge and Beate Klarsfeld swore a lifelong mission together: to track down Nazis, by both "legal and illegal" methods, so justice could be meted out. Among those they found was ex-Gestapo officer Klaus Barbie—aka "the Butcher of Lyon"—in 1971 in...
Minnesota Woman Helps Indict
Nazi Death Camp Guards
Nov 28, 2017 1:54 AM CST
Minnesota Woman Helps Indict Nazi Death Camp Guards
88-year-old helped identify former SS officer
- Judith Meisel says that when she was a teenager in the Stutthof concentration camp in western Poland, other prisoners told her: "Don't let us die without you mentioning what happened to us." The 88-year-old Minnesota resident has not forgotten: Her testimony helped German authorities indict two former...
To Catch Nazis,
'Back in Time'
Oct 11, 2016 7:42 PM CDT
To Catch Nazis, Prosecutors Go 'Back in Time'
Virtual reality model shows Auschwitz circa 1940s
- As World War II waned, Nazis were ordered to destroy evidence of the Final Solution at Auschwitz so that only a portion of the original camp remains today. That makes corroborating testimony of suspected war criminals difficult—but not impossible, thanks to virtual reality. Using original construction plans, period photographs,...
Auschwitz Guard, 94, to Stand Trial on 170K Counts
Feb 10, 2016 11:56 AM CST
Auschwitz Guard, 94, to Stand Trial on 170K Counts
Reinhold Hanning's lawyer argues he worked in less-deadly section
- A 94-year-old former SS guard at the Auschwitz death camp is going on trial this week on 170,000 counts of accessory to murder, the first of up to four cases being brought to court this year in an 11th-hour push by German prosecutors to punish Nazi war crimes. Reinhold...
Death Camp Guard Living
in Queens Last US Nazi Case
Jan 31, 2016 9:08 AM CST
Death Camp Guard Living in Queens Last US Nazi Case
No country will take Jakiw Palij
- During some three decades with Justice Department, Eli Rosenbaum has earned a well-deserved reputation as a Nazi hunter. He has worked on 137 cases involving suspected Nazis, and in all but 30 of them, the accused lost citizenship or was deported. Now, CNN reports, just a single active case remains....
Auschwitz Medic, 95,
Will Stand Trial
Jan 19, 2016 2:56 AM CST
Auschwitz Medic, 95, Will Stand Trial
Hubert Zafke was there when train carrying Anne Frank arrived
- A 95-year-old German man accused of serving as a medical orderly in a place where more than a million people were murdered will go on trial next month, a court has announced. According to an indictment, former SS sergeant Hubert Zafke was a paramedic at the Auschwitz extermination camp from...
Latest Charged as a Nazi:
Sep 21, 2015 1:44 PM CDT
Latest Charged as a Nazi: 91-Year-Old Woman
She's charged with accessory to murder
- German prosecutors say they've charged a 91-year-old woman with 260,000 counts of accessory to murder on allegations she was a member of the Nazi SS who served in the Auschwitz death camp complex. Schleswig-Holstein prosecutors' spokesman Heinz Doellel said today the woman, whose name wasn't disclosed due...
May 29, 2015 5:37 AM CDT
2 Most-Wanted Nazis Won't Face Trial
Alleged war criminal-turned-beekeeper dies in Canada
- There were two men at the top of this year's Simon Wiesenthal Center most-wanted Nazi war criminal list —and there is now no chance either one will face a court. No. 2 on the list, Ukrainian-born Vladimir Katriuk, has died in Quebec at the age of 93, the...
World's 'Worst' Nazi Is Dead
Dec 1, 2014 7:46 AM CST
World's 'Worst' Nazi Is Dead
Alois Brunner, Eichmann's 'best man,' revealed to have died 4 years ago
- The world's most-wanted Nazi is dead, and he died without regrets about his role in the murder of thousands of Jews. That's according to Nazi hunter Efraim Zuroff, who says a German secret service agent recently revealed that Alois Brunner, Adolf Eichmann's "best man," died...
US Paid Suspected
Nazis Millions in
Oct 20, 2014 7:30 AM CDT
US Paid Suspected Nazis Millions in Social Security
Benefits continue after they voluntarily leave US
- As an incentive to get them off American soil, Nazi war criminals and suspects were in many cases allowed to keep their Social Security benefits. That left dozens of them—at least 38 of 66 suspects since 1979—to receive millions in US taxpayer dollars over the years, the AP...
About to Be
Dies in US
Jul 23, 2014 2:01 PM CDT
Accused Nazi About to Be Extradited Dies in US
Philadelphia's Johann Breyer, 89, was a guard at Auschwitz
- An 89-year-old Philly man suspected of Nazi war crimes died last night in a local hospital, the AP reports—the same day a judge issued an order to have him extradited to Germany. Former toolmaker Johann Breyer had been arrested in June, and German prosecutors wanted to try him for...
Ex-Nazi, 88, in Young Offender Court Over
Jan 9, 2014 6:20 AM CST
Ex-Nazi, 88, in Young Offender Court Over WWII Massacre
Was 19 when 642 slain at Oradour-sur-Glane
- Werner C. is 88 years old, but his fate now rests with the young offenders chamber of the Cologne court. That's because the man was just 19 during the 1944 massacre at Oradour-sur-Glane in France, in which 642 people were killed, Reuters reports. Men were herded into barns and...
Nov 18, 2013 8:14 AM CST
Minneapolis Man Ordered Nazi-led Massacre: Soldier
German prosecutor recommends murder charges against Michael Karkoc
- New evidence suggests that Michael Karkoc, the former Nazi SS commander found living in Minnesota , may have actually ordered the 1944 attack on Chlaniow , in which 44 Polish villagers, including women and children, were killed. Initially, Karkoc was simply said to have been near the scenes of that and other...
Nazi Criminal to Be Buried
in 'Secret' Location
Oct 21, 2013 1:49 AM CDT
Nazi Criminal to Be Buried in 'Secret' Location
But Priebke supporters can pay homage, lawyer says
- After an attempt to hold a funeral for a Nazi war criminal sparked clashes, a secret burial place has been found for Erich Priebke, his lawyer says—though he seems to have a strange definition of "secret." The lawyer says Priebke will be buried in Italy or Germany,...
Clashes Halt Nazi
War Criminal's Funeral
Oct 16, 2013 2:44 AM CDT
Clashes Halt Nazi War Criminal's Funeral
Catholic extremists offer to hold service for Priebke
- The corpse of a Nazi war criminal is far from resting in peace in Italy: A hearse containing the body of Erich Priebke, who died last week while under house arrest for his role in the 1944 massacre of 335 Italian civilians, was attacked by protesters yesterday as it approached...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Best TV Shows of All Time
Longest-Living President Celebrates 98th Birthday
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.