Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dems Slam 'Lousy Deal,'
Pass Debt Limit Extension
Oct 12, 2021 7:45 PM CDT
Dems Slam 'Lousy Deal,' Pass Debt Limit Extension
Congress will have to revisit issue in 7 weeks
- The House has approved a short-term extension of the nation's debt limit, postponing the danger of an unprecedented debt default until early December. President Biden is expected to sign the legislation, which was approved by the Senate in a party-line vote last week, Politico reports. The $480 billion measure,...
Oct 7, 2021 7:47 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Deal Clears Senate
We're good until December
The Senate dodged a US debt disaster Thursday night, voting to extend the government’s borrowing authority into December and temporarily avert an unprecedented federal default that experts warned would devastate the economy and harm millions of Americans. The vote of 50-48 in support of the bill to raise...
Democrats Say They'll
Take Deal on Debt Limit
Oct 6, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Democrats Say They'll Take Deal on Debt Limit
Mitch McConnell offered short-term extension
Both sides claimed victory Wednesday after Democratic senators agreed to accept Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's offer of a short-term deal on raising the debt limit, Politico reports. After a closed-door caucus meeting, Senate Democrats said they were prepared to accept the Republican's offer of an emergency...
Under Quirky Law, We
Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
Oct 6, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
Under Quirky Law, We Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
'Gimmick' floated as one solution to the debt-ceiling impasse
- Some politicians think they've found a silver bullet for the impasse over the debt limit, except the bullet is made of platinum: Mint a $1 trillion coin and use it to flood the treasury with cash. Even its serious proponents— Paul Krugman is one of them —call it...
Biden Surprises Reporters
With Remark on Filibuster
Oct 5, 2021 7:56 PM CDT
Biden Surprises Reporters With Remark on Filibuster
He says rule change to raise debt limit is a 'real possibility'
- To get around Republican obstruction, President Biden said Tuesday that Democrats are considering a change to the Senate's filibuster rules in order to quickly approve lifting the nation's debt limit and avoid what would be a devastating credit default. "It’s a real possibility," Biden told...
Biden Tells GOP to 'Get Out
of the Way' on Debt Limit
Oct 4, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Biden Tells GOP to 'Get Out of the Way' on Debt Limit
McConnell says Dems must handle issue alone
- President Biden on Monday urged Republican senators to “get out of the way” and let Democrats suspend the nation’s debt limit, hoping to keep the US government from bumping dangerously close to a credit default as Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell refuses to lend his party’s help....
Sep 27, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Senate GOP Thwarts Bill to Avoid Shutdown
Republicans block Democrats in first round of a critical week
- Republicans in the Senate thwarted a Democratic attempt to suspend the debt limit and head off a government shutdown on Monday night. The vote on a procedural measure to keep the legislative alive was along party lines, CNN reports, 48-50. Approval required 60 votes. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer switched his...
Shutdown Looms as House
Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Sep 21, 2021 5:56 PM CDT
Shutdown Looms as House Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Dems cut $1B in 'Iron Dome' funding
- The House rushed headlong Tuesday into a vote on legislation to fund the government, suspend the federal debt limit, and provide disaster and refugee aid, forcing a showdown with Republicans who oppose the package despite the risk of a fiscal crisis. The federal government faces a shutdown if funding stops...
We Have $272B in Cash. It'll Be
Gone Sooner Than We Thought
Feb 1, 2018 7:17 AM CST
We Have $272B in Cash. It'll Be Gone Sooner Than We Thought
CBO says we'll hit debt limit earlier than expected
- That the debt ceiling needs to be raised beyond its current level of $20.5 trillion isn't news; that it needs to be done by the first half of March is. The Congressional Budget Office on Wednesday drew the line in the sand there thanks to the new tax...
Mean a Risky
Aug 24, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Coinciding Deadlines Mean a Risky September
Debt ceiling could become 'entangled' with budget talks, raising fears of a US default
- President Trump's public comments this week have made one thing crystal clear: September is going to be a very big month for the US. Congress faces a Sept. 30 deadline to pass a funding deal to avoid a shutdown, and Trump has thrown a wrench into things by demanding...
On Deck for
GOP in 2015:
A Long Series
Jan 5, 2015 9:16 AM CST
On Deck for GOP in 2015: A Long Series of Showdowns
Republican leaders to face immigration, debt ceiling, Medicare issues
- John Boehner and Mitch McConnell penned a
Wall Street Journal
editorial in November that promised they would prove wrong "the skeptics [who] say nothing will be accomplished in the next two years." But even with both House and Senate firmly under GOP control when Congress convenes tomorrow , the...
in Debt Ceiling
Feb 12, 2014 3:03 PM CST
After Dicey Vote, Senate Clears Hike in Debt Ceiling
Ted Cruz forces McConnell, other Republicans into tough spot
- After a dramatic Senate tally in which top GOP leaders cast the crucial votes, legislation to allow the government to borrow money to pay its bills cleared Congress today for President Obama's signature. The Senate approved the measure by a near party-line 55-43 vote. All of those "aye"...
Inside the Very Awkward End
to the Debt-Ceiling Wars
Feb 12, 2014 12:22 PM CST
Inside the Very Awkward End to the Debt-Ceiling Wars
Boehner made his announcement, and no one clapped
- John Boehner ended the debt ceiling wars yesterday, but his fellow Republicans didn't exactly throw him a parade. The
today has an excruciatingly awkward account of how Boehner broke the news to his caucus at a private breakfast yesterday morning. "Listen—we're going to move...
End of an Era? House GOP
Skips Fight on Debt Cap
Feb 11, 2014 4:49 PM CST
End of an Era? House GOP Skips Fight on Debt Cap
Republicans allow ceiling to increase without strings
- House Republicans backed away from a battle over the government's debt cap today and permitted Democrats to drive quick passage of a measure to increase the government's borrowing cap without any concessions from the White House. The 221-201 vote came hours after Speaker John Boehner announced that his...
on Debt Ceiling
Feb 11, 2014 9:30 AM CST
Boehner Calls No-Strings Vote on Debt Ceiling
Boehner drops plan for military pension rider
- With the clock ticking, House Republicans ditched their last attempt to tie a policy rider to the debt ceiling today. John Boehner told fellow Republicans that he would instead bring a "clean" bill to the floor, raising the debt ceiling without conditions, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Yesterday, Boehner...
Lew on Debt Ceiling Showdown: Never Again
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Oct 20, 2013 9:11 AM CDT
Lew on Debt Ceiling Showdown: Never Again
'Cannot take a risk with the full faith and credit'
- For lawmakers who might be getting used to last-minute debt ceiling showdowns, the country's Treasury secretary has a message: Not so fast, sunshine. "The message that we have to send going forward is that there was a turning point on Wednesday night and this won't happen again,...
The 7 Biggest
Oct 17, 2013 7:36 AM CDT
The 7 Biggest Shutdown Losers
Hint: Most of them are Republicans
- "There are no winners here," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters yesterday afternoon. This is because Jay Carney is not a political pundit who lives to declare winners in Washington dust-ups. But even taking Carney at his word about winners, there sure were a heck of...
It's Over: House Passes
Oct 17, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
It's Over: House Passes Senate-Backed Deal
Obama signs bill: We need to stop 'governing by crisis'
- Federal workers, prepare to rejoin the morning commute. The Senate tonight passed its bill to end the government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling by a vote of 81-18, the AP reports; the House backed the bill 285-144, just hours before the Treasury would have lost its authority to borrow...
Oct 16, 2013 12:02 PM CDT
Senate Deal Announced
'This is far less than many of us had hoped for frankly,' McConnell says
- Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell have reached a bipartisan deal to end the government shutdown and lift the debt ceiling, they announced in Senate floor speeches today. "This is far less than many of us had hoped for frankly," McConnell said. "But it's far better than...
Get This Over With
Oct 16, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
Republicans, Get This Over With
'Wall Street Journal' doesn't think the GOP played this well
- The Senate deal that should end the government shutdown and avoid a fiscal crisis isn't here a moment too soon for the
Wall Street Journal .
"Both sides are looking like losers," the paper's editors write in a scathing editorial today, but they heap most of their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Glued Lock Prevents Hundreds From Receiving COVID Shots
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.