Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 29, 2021 12:05 AM CST
Barbados to Officially Drop Monarchy
Country will swear in first-ever president
Barbados will, late Monday night, swear in its first president, thus officially ousting Queen Elizabeth II as head of state and cutting the island country's last imperial link to Britain after Britain colonized it in 1627. Prince Charles will be present at the ceremony, CNN reports. Barbados will...
In Italy, a Fight for the
Claim to a 'Pretend Throne'
May 15, 2021 9:47 AM CDT
In Italy, a Fight for the Claim to a 'Pretend Throne'
Vittoria Cristina Chiara Adelaide Maria on track to be queen of a defunct monarchy
- "She now, is, how do you say, the future régnante" of Italy, says Clotilde Courau of her teenage daughter, who lives in Paris. If your reactions are "what?" and "what??" that's understandable. Italy, of course, has no monarchy, which was done away with in 1946...
2 Black Women 'Took Down'
Monarchy's Final Myths
Mar 9, 2021 10:30 AM CST
2 Black Women 'Took Down' Monarchy's Final Myths
Meghan Markle and Oprah force a reckoning on British racism, and Prince Harry is fully on board
- If you expected the Oprah interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to make a few headlines on celebrity sites and disappear, think again. The fallout over their allegations of racism—particularly that the royal family was concerned about the color of their son's skin—continues to resonate. Coverage:...
the King. Now,
a Record 43-Year
Jan 20, 2021 9:54 AM CST
She Insulted the King. Now, a Record 43-Year Sentence
Thai ex-civil servant was originally supposed to get 87 years behind bars for violating lese-majeste law
- A court in Thailand on Tuesday sentenced a former civil servant to a record prison term of 43 years and six months for breaching the country's strict law on insulting or defaming the monarchy, lawyers said. The Bangkok Criminal Court found the woman guilty on 29 counts of violating...
Court Makes King's
Love Child a Princess
Oct 2, 2020 8:48 AM CDT
Court Makes King's Love Child a Princess
Belgium's ex-king denied paternity for years
- After a long legal battle, Belgian artist Delphine Boel is now Delphine of Saxen-Coburg-Gotha, princess of Belgium. The Brussels Court of Appeal has ruled that the 52-year-old is entitled to be recognized as a princess and to use the surname of her father, former king Albert II, the
Protesters Replace a Plaque
That Vanished in 2017
Sep 20, 2020 9:17 AM CDT
Protesters Replace a Plaque That Vanished in 2017
Mass student-led rally in Thailand calls for reforms to the monarchy
- Anti-government demonstrators occupying a historic field in the Thai capital on Sunday installed a plaque symbolizing the country's transition to democracy to replace the original one that was mysteriously ripped out and stolen three years ago, as they vowed to press on with calls for new elections and reform...
Sweden's King Removes Royal
Titles From 5 Grandchildren
Oct 8, 2019 1:30 AM CDT
Sweden's King Removes Royal Titles From 5 Grandchildren
Move will streamline country's royal family
- Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf has taken the unusual step of stripping five of his grandchildren of their royal titles—but it's not because of a family feud. The five children, aged between one and five, are the offspring of the younger two of the king's three...
Burger King Marketing Stunt
Ticks Off Belgian Monarchy
May 29, 2017 4:58 PM CDT
Burger King Marketing Stunt Ticks Off Belgian Monarchy
The ad pits King Philippe against Burger King's mascot
- Fast food giant Burger King started off on the wrong foot with a fairly important Belgian family in the chain's latest global venture. Reuters reports that Belgium’s monarchy is not happy with an online marketing campaign depicting the country's King Philippe that Burger King launched to advertise...
Queen Celebrates Milestone
No Other British Monarch Has
Feb 6, 2017 6:07 AM CST
Queen Celebrates Milestone No Other British Monarch Has
She's marking a 'sapphire jubilee'
- Queen Elizabeth II shattered yet another royal record Monday when she became the first British monarch to have a Sapphire Jubilee marking a 65-year reign. Elizabeth—head of state of Australia, Canada, and more than a dozen other countries besides the UK—became queen on Feb. 6, 1952 after her...
Today's Scotland Vote:
What You Need to Know
Sep 18, 2014 7:54 AM CDT
Today's Scotland Vote: What You Need to Know
The vote over Scottish independence is here
- Scots are taking to the polls today to determine whether Scotland should gain legal independence from the United Kingdom for the first time since 1707. Voters—more than 4 million perhaps, with 97% of the electorate registered to vote—have access to 2,608 polling places across the country between...
Jul 21, 2013 5:33 AM CDT
Belgium's King Albert Abdicates
Son Philippe takes oath in fractious nation
- Belgium's King Albert abdicated today after a 20-year reign, as his son, Philippe, took over as this fractured nation's seventh king later in the day. The 79-year-old Albert signed away his rights as the kingdom's largely ceremonial ruler in the presence of Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo,...
Jun 6, 2013 3:21 PM CDT
Horrors: Belgian Royals Must Now Pay Taxes
Their allowances also are cut, except for the reigning king
- Belgium is taking after the monarchies of Britain and the Netherlands and trimming the royal purse strings. Reigning King Albert II is exempt, but other royals are going to pay income taxes for the first time and get smaller allowances, reports Reuters . For instance, in the case of Queen Fabiola—...
Dutch Get 1st King in 120 Years
Apr 30, 2013 10:00 AM CDT
Dutch Get 1st King in 120 Years
Huge street party greets Willem-Alexander
- It's party time in Amsterdam: Queen Beatrix has signed her abdication papers, making her son Willem-Alexander the country's first king since William III died in 1890. Huge orange-clad crowds gathered in the Dutch capital to say farewell to the popular queen and celebrate the annual Queen's Day...
Jan 28, 2013 12:38 PM CST
Netherlands' Queen Beatrix to Abdicate
Son Willem-Alexander to become country's 1st king in century
- Dutch Queen Beatrix announced today that she will abdicate on April 30 after 33 years as head of state, clearing the way for her eldest son, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, to become the nation's first king in more than a century. The announcement, in a nationally televised speech, signaled an...
Dig Thinks It's Found
Richard III Under Car Park
Sep 12, 2012 10:40 AM CDT
Dig Thinks It's Found Richard III Under Car Park
Archeologists find skeleton with curved spine, arrow through back
- Archeologists in England think they may have indeed found the remains of the "tyrant king" Richard III in a dig under a car park in Leicester, reports the
. They announced today that a number of factors that make them think it's the real deal, most notably...
Dead at 71
Jul 5, 2012 10:05 AM CDT
British Throne's 'True Heir' Dead at 71
Some historians believe Mike Hastings had a claim to the crown
- The rightful heir to the British throne may have just died in Australia. Some historians considered Mike Hastings, the 14th earl of Loudoun, to be the true heir, descended as he was from the House of York. The AFP reports that the claim stems from documents uncovered by one historian...
Anti-Monarchists Gear Up
to Derail Queen's Jubilee
May 27, 2012 8:22 AM CDT
Anti-Monarchists Gear Up to Derail Queen's Jubilee
Republicans find lavish celebrations fly in face of austerity elsewhere
- Not everyone in Britain is thrilled beyond words about Queen Elizabeth's big diamond jubilee on Saturday: Somewhere between 22% and 50% of Britons are estimated to be anti-monarchist, and with a tough austerity program rocking Britain's economy, many anti-austerity protesters are teaming up with republicans to demonstrate against...
Jamaica PM Would Like Apology From UK for Slavery
Mar 6, 2012 2:41 PM CST
Jamaica PM Would Like Apology From UK for Slavery
Portia Simpson Miller calls history 'wicked and brutal'
- Jamaica Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller didn't mince words when asked yesterday about her country's history with Britain—just as Prince Harry arrived in the country for a visit. "No race should have been subjected to what our ancestors were subjected to," Miller said, according to...
to Have Heart Bypass
Feb 12, 2012 5:54 AM CST
Japan's Emperor to Have Heart Bypass
Akihito has suffered from variety of health problems in recent years
- Japanese Emperor Akihito will have heart bypass surgery later this month, his palace said today after the 78-year-old monarch was hospitalized for tests over the weekend. Akihito returned to the palace today after the tests and has scheduled the surgery for Feb. 18, the Imperial Household Agency said.
Last Heir Dead at 98
Jul 5, 2011 3:19 AM CDT
Austro-Hungarian Empire's Last Heir Dead at 98
Otto von Habsburg became champion of European integration
- Archduke Otto von Habsburg outlived the empire he was supposed to inherit by 92 years. The royal—christened Franz Josef Otto Robert Maria Anton Karl Max Heinrich Sixtus Xavier Felix Renatus Ludwig Gaetan Pius Ignatius—was the eldest son of the final emperor of the Austro-Hungarian empire, reports the BBC...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.