Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,302,194+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
temporary protective status
Homeland Security Has Devastating News for 60K Haitians in US
Protected status to be lifted after 18 months
- It was the news tens of thousands of Haitian residents of the US were dreading: The administration has decided to end the Temporary Protected Status that shielded them from deportation after their country's 2010 earthquake. Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Elaine Duke announced Monday that the status will...
Thousands of Nicaraguans in the US Just Got Bad News
Their Temporary Protected Status is ending
- Hurricane Mitch and the flooding it brought to Central America killed more than 19,000 people in 1998. In its wake, the US granted Nicaraguans and Hondurans a Temporary Protected Status (TPS), meaning they were sheltered from deportation and allowed to get things like jobs and insurance. On Monday, the...
Obama Gives Illegal Haitians Temp Amnesty
Iowa rep objects: Deported, they could help with relief
- President Obama today gave Haitians in the US illegally the OK to stay for 18 months under “temporary protective status” while the quake-devastated nation rebuilds. And while critics don’t see much daylight between that and a blanket amnesty, one Republican says if the illegal immigrants were sent home,...
Popular on Newser
Teen Surfer Killed by a 'Really Big Great White'
30-Year-Old Dies After 'COVID Party'
Robert Mueller Has a Point to Make About Roger Stone
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
Blast Rocks US Navy Base
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.