Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
She Read the Fine Print. And Got an Easy $10K
High School teacher Donelan Andrews scores for being diligent
- A Florida travel insurance company has awarded a Georgia high school teacher $10,000 for reading the fine print in a policy she recently purchased, the AP reports. A Squaremouth statement says Donelan Andrews claimed the prize 23 hours after the contest began. The St. Petersburg-based company says it launched...
Study Finds We Might Owe Microsoft Our Children
Because nobody reads or understands the terms of service before agreeing
- If Facebook or Apple ever turns truly evil, we might be in big trouble, apparently. A study published last week found that almost nobody reads online terms of service agreements—and even fewer understand them. Ars Technica reports 543 college students signed up for a fake social networking site called...
Time for Fine Print on Social Media Ads: FTC
The old advertising rules still apply
- Just because an ad's on Twitter doesn't mean it can get away with being misleading. The FTC today unveiled new guidelines for social media advertising, saying that it must adhere to the same essential rules as traditional advertising. For instance, ads must make clear the fact that they...
Shopping Sites Use Your Cookies to Vary Prices
Cookies track location, habits to enable 'dynamic pricing'
- One of the attractions of online shopping is that items have one price in the digital world. Or we
they do. In fact, stores on the Internet use those cute tracking cookies that remember your password to remember a lot more about you, including your physical location and shopping...
Popular on Newser
An Elderly Man Died of COVID. His Obit Pulls No Punches
CDC Makes Significant Change to Its Mask Advice
Prosecutors Raise Concerns About Rittenhouse Fundraising
Surfers' Warning: Don't Use a Lock Box
Mistake Leads to Mauling at Carole Baskin's Rescue
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.