Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,245,148+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
They Protested His Eatery's Meat. So He Grabbed a Deer Leg
'I just felt helpless' at being called 'murderer,' says Toronto restaurateur Michael Hunter
- What do you do if you're a restaurant that serves meat, yet protesters keep showing up to tell you you're a "murderer"? If you're Michael Hunter, you chop up a deer in the front window. That's what the Toronto restaurateur did Friday after animal-rights...
Today's Food: Our Progeny Will Call Us Barbarians
Charles Krauthammer: Someday, this industrial slaughter will be condemned
- The Founding Fathers, those beacons of liberty, were slaveholders. How could they have been blind to such hypocrisy? Before we get too caught up in pious condemnation, Charles Krauthammer thinks we should ponder what modern habits of our own will be seen in a similar light by future generations. "...
Tobey Maguire Sends Back Free Mercedes
Plus: five famous meat lovers
- Tobey Maguire wasn’t happy with the luxurious Mercedes he was given to use while filming in Australia, so he sent it back—but not because he’s a spoiled Hollywood star. Rather, Maguire is a vegan and took issue with the car’s leather seats, Australia’s
Don't Eat Baby Animals ... They Just Don't Taste Good
A veal-scarfing food writer offers an odd argument for passing on piglets
- Josh Ozersky is a James Beard award-winning food writer, but he's no morality cop: In an essay for
he admits to eating our planet's wee creatures: "veal cutlets, suckling pigs, spring lambs, game hens." And he has come to terms with that. But he does...
Eating Meat OK if It's Farmed Right
New book changes George Monbiot's mind
- In 2002,
columnist George Monbiot wrote a piece called "Why Vegans Were Right All Along"—but eight years later, he's changing his mind. He originally concluded that, after considering the vast divide between land used to feed people and land used to feed livestock, veganism "is...
Principal Quits Over Butchered Class Lamb
Shocked parents, Web campaign drive her out
- A British headmistress has resigned after shocking parents and kids by sending a student-raised lamb to the butcher. Andrea Chapman quit the Lydd Primary School in Kent for "personal reasons" after an animal rights Internet campaign rallied support in a bid to save woolly Marcus. Despite school community and...
Popular on Newser
Widow: Face-Mask Killing 'Destroyed' My Family
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
Thanks, COVID-19: A US Tradition Bites the Dust
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.