Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Senate Intelligence Committee
Stories 1 - 20 |
Senate to Investigate What
Led to 'Worst-Case Scenario'
Aug 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Senate to Investigate What Led to 'Worst-Case Scenario'
'Highest-level' Biden officials will speak at congressional hearings, Pelosi says
- Democratic lawmakers have largely avoided directly criticizing President Biden's administration over events in Afghanistan—but they still have a lot of questions about how the Taliban were able to seize control with stunning speed, leading to a chaotic evacuation from Kabul's airport. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Mark Warner...
Chair of Senate Intel Panel
Steps Down Amid Inquiry
May 14, 2020 11:38 AM CDT
Chair of Senate Intel Panel Steps Down Amid Inquiry
Richard Burr will leave post until investigation into his stock moves in pandemic is completed
- Sen. Richard Burr is temporarily giving up his chairmanship of one of the most powerful Senate committees while the FBI investigates insider trading allegations, reports the Hill . The North Carolina Republican will step aside as chair of the intelligence panel as the investigation continues. Burr, who was privy to classified...
on Senator Who
May 14, 2020 12:43 AM CDT
FBI Serves Search Warrant on Senator Who Dumped Stock
Richard Burr was privy to confidential coronavirus briefings at the time
- One of the senators who sold off stock after confidential briefings on the coronavirus in early February is now under investigation by the FBI. The bureau served a search warrant on Richard Burr, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Wednesday, per the
Los Angeles Times
. The North Carolina Republican asked...
Report: Russia Hack Infiltrated
Election Systems in Every State
Jul 26, 2019 7:03 AM CDT
Report: Russia Hack Infiltrated Election Systems in Every State
Senate Intelligence Committee report outlines a 'cascading intelligence failure,' per 'NYT'
- On Wednesday, ex-special counsel Robert Mueller testified Russia was gearing up to again meddle in US elections. On Thursday, a bipartisan report released by the Senate Intelligence Committee further details just why Mueller's statement is so concerning. The standout point of the first volume of the panel's findings:...
Behind Closed Doors,
a Redo With Trump Jr.,
Jun 12, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Behind Closed Doors, a Redo With Trump Jr., Senate Intelligence
President's son says he has 'nothing to correct'
- Donald Trump Jr. told reporters he has "nothing to correct" as he arrived on Capitol Hill Wednesday for a second closed-door interview with the Senate Intelligence Committee. Trump Jr. made the brief comments in response to a reporter who asked if he was there to correct his testimony, per...
May 10, 2019 12:14 PM CDT
New DC Flashpoint Centers on Trump Jr.
President's allies want GOP Sen. Richard Burr to drop his committee's subpoena
- The newest point of friction in DC is the Senate Intelligence Committee's decision to subpoena Donald Trump Jr. The panel is conducting its own investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, and it wants the president's son to answer more questions. What sets this apart from the...
Subpoenas Trump Jr.
May 8, 2019 4:41 PM CDT
Senate Panel Subpoenas Trump Jr.
This fight is 'unprecedented,' per Axios
- The Senate intelligence committee has subpoenaed Donald Trump Jr., calling him in to answer questions about his 2017 testimony , the AP reports. That's according to a person familiar with the subpoena who discussed it on condition of anonymity. The committee has renewed interest in talking to President Trump's...
Report: Democratic Theory
on Don Jr. Calls Proved Wrong
Feb 1, 2019 3:49 AM CST
Report: Democratic Theory on Don Jr. Calls Proved Wrong
He didn't get a call from his father before Trump Tower meeting
- A Democratic theory on Donald Trump Jr.'s infamous Trump Tower meeting with a group of Russians has been proved wrong, sources tell CNN . The insiders say records provided to the Senate Intelligence Committee show mysterious calls from Trump Jr. to "blocked" private numbers before and after the...
N. Korea's WMDs 'Critical
to Regime Survival'
Jan 29, 2019 11:05 AM CST
Intelligence Chief: N. Korea's WMDs 'Critical to Regime Survival'
National Intelligence Director Dan Coats says it's 'unlikely' Kim Jong Un will entirely give up nukes
- In an assessment casting doubt on President Trump's goal of a nuclear-disarmed North Korea, US intelligence agencies told Congress Tuesday the North is unlikely to entirely dismantle its nuclear arsenal. National Intelligence Director Dan Coats, in testimony for the Senate Intelligence Committee, noted leader Kim Jong Un has expressed...
Gets a Subpoena
Jan 24, 2019 1:32 PM CST
Michael Cohen Gets a Subpoena
Attorney says Cohen will appear before Senate Intelligence Committee
- A Senate committee has subpoenaed President Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen, a day after Cohen postponed his public testimony to a House committee. Word of the subpoena from the Senate Intelligence Committee comes from one of Cohen's lawyers, Lanny Davis, per the AP . He says Cohen will...
Report Exposes Vast Scale
of Russia's Pro-Trump
Dec 17, 2018 6:50 AM CST
Report Exposes Vast Scale of Russia's Pro-Trump Election Interference
'All of the messaging clearly sought to benefit the Republican Party'
- Russian agents reached a staggering number of Americans through social media during the 2016 election campaign, and sites like Facebook missed some obvious signs of what was happening, according to a report prepared for the Senate Intelligence Committee. The report, seen by the
found that Russians at the...
Empty Chair Says It All:
Senate Is Annoyed With Google
Sep 5, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Empty Chair Says It All: Senate Is Annoyed With Google
Sheryl Sandberg, Jack Dorsey appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee
- Facebook and Twitter executives, defending their companies on Capitol Hill, said Wednesday they're aggressively trying to root out foreign interests seeking to sow divisions in American democracy as the November elections near. Facebook's No. 2 executive, Sheryl Sandberg, and Twitter's CEO, Jack Dorsey, testified before the Senate...
Senate Aide Allegedly Lied
About Dating Reporter
Jun 8, 2018 9:32 AM CDT
Senate Aide Allegedly Lied About Dating Reporter
James Wolfe charged with lying to FBI about 'New York Times' journalist Ali Watkins
- A former employee of the Senate intelligence committee has been arrested on charges of lying to the FBI about contacts he had with multiple reporters. James A. Wolfe, the longtime director of security for the committee—one of multiple congressional panels investigating potential ties between Russia and the Trump campaign—...
Votes to Endorse
Haspel as CIA Director
May 16, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
Senate Panel Votes to Endorse Haspel as CIA Director
Full Senate will now vote on Haspel's confirmation
- Gina Haspel won the endorsement of the Senate Intelligence Committee Wednesday, with the panel voting 10-5 to advance her nomination as CIA director to the full Senate. Haspel, who would be the first woman to lead the Central Intelligence Agency and the second person to lead the agency after being...
New Focus in
Dec 19, 2017 1:27 PM CST
New Focus in Russia Inquiry: Green Party's Jill Stein
She attended 'infamous dinner' in Russia sponsored by RT television network
- The Senate intelligence committee has asked for documents from former presidential candidate Jill Stein as part of its probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election, adding another new thread to the panel's investigation as it heads into 2018. Stein said in a statement overnight Tuesday that she was...
for 9 Hours
Dec 14, 2017 12:24 AM CST
Senate Panel Interviews Trump Jr. for 9 Hours
Democrats want him back for a public hearing
- Donald Trump Jr. has finished a nine-hour interview with the Senate Intelligence Committee, concluding his third interview on Capitol Hill as part of investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election, the AP reports. Trump Jr.'s closed-door meeting with Senate staff came a week after he spoke to...
Favored Twitter for
Sep 28, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
Russia Might've Favored Twitter for Election Meddling
Research suggests Russian-linked accounts are still sowing discord
- Facebook is taking most of the flak regarding Russian social media influence during and after the 2016 presidential election, but Twitter might be more deserving. Citing research by the Alliance for Securing Democracy , the
New York Times
notes "there is evidence that Twitter may have been used even more...
McCain on His
Gaffe at Comey
Sep 18, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
McCain on His Gaffe at Comey Hearing: 'Colossal Screw-up'
Tells 'Esquire' he miscommunicated Lindsey Graham question from phone
- John McCain is shaking his head after admitting he messed up a line of questioning during James Comey's testimony in front of the Senate Intelligence Committee. On June 8, the Arizona senator offered what the
called a "distracted and listless line of questioning" toward the ex-FBI...
Flynn 'Rejects Request to
Speak to Senate Committee'
Sep 13, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Flynn 'Rejects Request to Speak to Senate Committee'
He won't comply with subpoena, sources say
- Michael Flynn didn't get his deal for immunity —so he's apparently not talking to the Senate Intelligence Committee. Sources tell CNN that the former national security adviser, who is a key figure in investigations of alleged Russian election meddling, has rejected a second request to appear before...
I Faked Call
to Get Out of
Jul 24, 2017 6:28 AM CDT
Kushner: I Faked Call to Get Out of Dumb Russia Meeting
President's son-in-law releases statement ahead of congressional testimony
- Jared Kushner appears before not one but two congressional panels this week in regard to his contacts with Russian officials, but he makes the case in a statement released Monday morning that he doesn't have much of value to offer. "I did not collude, nor know of anyone...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.