Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Disney Has Another
Throwdown for DeSantis
Mar 22, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Disney Has Another Throwdown for DeSantis
Company to host major LGBTQ conference in September
- Ron DeSantis' very public battle with Walt Disney World continues, now with another move by the latter to support LGBTQ rights. Disney World will be hosting a major summit from Sept. 11-14 to help boost lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights in the workplace, with execs and team members from...
Oldest Generation Warms
to LGBTQ Identification
Feb 22, 2023 8:47 AM CST
Oldest Generation Warms to LGBTQ Identification
Slight uptick among those born before 1946, as overall rate among US adults hits 7.2%
- The percentage of Americans who identify as LGBTQ has increased ever so slightly for a new record high, but has ultimately "leveled off," according to Gallup's 2022 polling of more than 10,000 adults. Some 7.2% of Americans identify as non-heterosexual, for a 0.1% increase...
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's
Censors Won't Hear of It
Feb 14, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's Censors Won't Hear of It
Fans of 'Friends' cry foul after detail is cut from episode
- China's censors are back in the news , this time over an episode of
. When Ross explains to his parents that his wife has left him, the part in which he explains why—she's lesbian and has found a female partner—was cut from a recently aired rerun,...
Jul 20, 2020 12:21 AM CDT
Filmmaker: Warner Bros. Hid Velma's True Sexuality
James Gunn says he saw her as 'explicitly gay'
- "I tried!" That's how filmmaker James Gunn opens a tweet about his effort to make the character of Velma "explicitly gay" in the live-action
reports. Gunn says the studio, Warner Bros., "just kept watering it down & watering it down,...
Teacher Who Showed
Photo of Future Wife
Gets $100K Settlement
Feb 27, 2020 5:16 AM CST
Teacher Who Showed Photo of Future Wife Gets $100K Settlement
She was suspended for allegedly 'promoting the homosexual agenda'
- A Texas teacher who was forced out of the job she loved for showing students a photo of the woman she was going to marry has settled with the school district for $100,000. Stacy Bailey was suspended from her position as an art teacher at Arlington's Charlotte Anderson...
1st Miss Universe
Contestant Comes Out
Dec 8, 2019 4:00 PM CST
1st Miss Universe Contestant Comes Out
Swe Zin Htet is from Myanmar
- She's known to fans as "Superman," and not for nothing. Swe Zin Htet of Myanmar just became the first openly gay Miss Universe contestant at a time when same-sex relations are illegal in her home country,
reports. "I have that platform that, if I say...
Taylor Swift Gets
Jun 1, 2019 9:51 AM CDT
Taylor Swift Gets Political—Again
The singer urges her home-state senator to back LGBTQ rights
- Taylor Swift re-entered the political arena Saturday with a polite but pressing letter to Sen. Lamar Alexander, the
reports. "I respect your position in our country and your ability to really impact positive moves forward," she wrote the Republican from her home state of Tennessee, but urged...
Apr 9, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
After Parents Disowned Her,
Fans Raise $90K
Jess Guilbeaux is going back to school, thanks to help from strangers who saw her on 'Queer Eye'
- When a GoFundMe was set up for Jess Guilbeaux, the goal of $100,000 for the 23-year-old— whose story of being disowned by her adoptive parents after they discovered she was gay appeared on Netflix's third season of
—seemed far off. Now that crowdfunding initiative has reached...
She Was Disowned for
Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Mar 20, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
She Was Disowned for Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Netflix episode featuring Jess Guilbeaux has proved to be an 'ugly cry' one
- Netflix recently started streaming the third season of
, and one episode in particular is causing people to "ugly cry." NBC News reports on "Black Girl Magic," the fifth episode, which puts 23-year-old Jess Guilbeaux in the spotlight. Guilbeaux, a waitress in Lawrence, Kan., was...
New David's Bridal Ad
Is 'Rewriting the Rules'
Jan 10, 2019 5:40 PM CST
New David's Bridal Ad Is 'Rewriting the Rules'
30-second spot is company's first featuring same-sex couple
- David's Bridal is debuting a new TV ad that the company hopes will show "we value every type of bride." That's per Liz Crystal, David's Bridal's chief marketing officer, who details for
how the company is "rewriting the rules" with its...
for Being Gay.
Now, Good News
in case you missed it
Nov 24, 2018 12:02 PM CST
College Athlete Was Disowned for Being Gay. Now, Good News
NCAA waives donations rule so Emily Scheck can accept money to help her pay school, living costs
- When Grace Hausladen started a GoFundMe for her friend and Division I cross-country teammate Emily Scheck, it was for one reason: to raise money for tuition and living expenses at Buffalo's Canisius College after Scheck's family disowned her in August upon finding out she had a girlfriend. The...
Aug 8, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
Ruby Rose Makes History as Lesbian Batwoman
'Orange Is the New Black' star's role for the CW will be first openly gay superhero lead on a TV series
- Ruby Rose is making history with her latest role as Batwoman, the first openly gay superhero to headline a TV series. Batwoman will be introduced in a December crossover event between the CW network's other DC Comics shows,
, the AP reports. A stand-alone series...
Jul 8, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
A Low-Key, Enraged Comic May Have Just Broken Standup
Hannah Gadsby unleashes in her new show, 'Nanette'
- Hannah Gadsby is a quiet, tea-loving comic whose new Netflix show
is being hailed as the next big thing. She's also simmering with rage and ready to quit the business,
reports. Onstage in her homeland of Australia, the gay performer eases people in with a few...
Showed Pic of
'Future Wife' Files
May 11, 2018 8:30 AM CDT
Teacher Who Showed Pic of 'Future Wife' Files Discrimination Suit
Gay teacher Stacy Bailey says she was suspended for mentioning partner
- A Texas teacher has filed a suit against her school district and two district officials, claiming she's been discriminated against for one reason: "Plaintiff is lesbian/gay and was born that way." The teacher, per the
New York Times
, is 31-year-old Stacy Bailey, who alleges in her complaint...
Katie Sowers Has
Broken an NFL Barrier
Aug 23, 2017 3:57 PM CDT
Katie Sowers Has Broken an NFL Barrier
She's the 1st openly gay coach in NFL history
- Katie Sowers—new San Francisco 49ers assistant coach and second woman ever to coach full-time in the NFL—is also the first openly gay coach—man or woman—in major American men's professional sports, Deadspin reports. Sowers discussed her sexuality for the first time publicly Tuesday on Outsports . "...
Woman's 'Lesbianism' Listed
as Medical Problem
Jan 25, 2017 5:48 PM CST
Woman's 'Lesbianism' Listed as Medical Problem
Health system has since clarified that's not an appropriate clinical diagnosis
- After getting blood work done, Kristina Rodriguez was looking over her medical history record when she saw the word "lesbianism" listed under medical problems. The North Carolina woman showed the documents to WSOC , which has a picture. She says that after she complained, her doctor and a director of...
Anderson Cooper Shocked by Mom's Lesbian Romance
Mar 30, 2016 10:54 AM CDT
Anderson Cooper Shocked by Mom's Lesbian Romance
"What? Hello. This is news to me"
- Gloria Vanderbilt managed to shock son Anderson Cooper during a recent
interview. "I, myself, when I went to [Miss Porter's School in] Farmington, [Connecticut] I went through a brief so-called lesbian relationship with a girl in school," Vanderbilt said, to which a visibly surprised Cooper responded,...
Refuse to Read
Graphic Novel on
Aug 24, 2015 12:24 PM CDT
Duke Freshmen Refuse to Read Graphic Novel on Sexual Identity
Say Alison Bechdel's 'Fun Home' goes against personal, religious beliefs
- Alison Bechdel's
, a "family tragicomic," is a graphic memoir about the cartoonist's relationship with her distant father growing up and her coming of age as she grappled with her sexual identity. But although the committee tasked with giving incoming freshmen at Duke University a...
I've Had 'Many'
May 13, 2015 7:59 AM CDT
Cate Blanchett: I've Had 'Many' Relationships With Women
But that's about all she'll say about that
, debuting at Cannes Sunday, Cate Blanchett plays a woman who gets romantically involved with another woman. In an extensive
interview about the film, asked whether this is Blanchett's "first turn as a lesbian," the actress replied, "On film—or in real life?" But...
This Word for
the First Time
Jan 21, 2015 11:04 AM CST
SOTU Contained This Word for the First Time
'Transgender' gets its first mention—as do quite a few other words
- Speaking before Congress last night, President Obama uttered quite a few words never before heard in a State of the Union address . Among the most significant was "transgender"—as in, "we … condemn the persecution of women, or religious minorities, or people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.