Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Miss Michigan Rima Fakih
Just 'Silly' Fun
May 20, 2010 6:12 AM CDT
Miss USA: Pole Dancing Just 'Silly' Fun
My family's 'proud of me'
- The current Miss USA is surprised by the fallout from her participation in a pole-dancing event, calling it just "silly" fun. Rima Fakih squirms around a pole in a tape of the event in a sleeveless shirt, shorts and heels, far less revealing than the lingerie shoot Miss USA...
May 18, 2010 4:48 PM CDT
the First Arab-American Miss USA
Julie Hayek, of Lebanese descent, won in 1983
- When Rima Fakih became Miss USA on Sunday, she was widely reported to be the first Arab-American to do so. In fact, Julie Hayek, whose father is Lebanese, won in 1983, notes
. It's not clear whether Hayek also is Muslim, so Fakih may yet claim that "first....
May 17, 2010 10:50 AM CDT
Miss USA's Past Title: Best Stripper
Rima Fakih won 'Stripper 101' contest in 2007
- Another year, another Miss USA, another scandal? Maybe. Depends on how long it takes for the buzz to shift from the fact that Michigan's Rima Fakih is the first Arab-American to wear the crown to the fact that she won an entirely different competition in 2007—a stripper contest. TMZ...
First Muslim Grabs
Miss USA Crown
May 17, 2010 6:40 AM CDT
First Muslim Grabs Miss USA Crown
Rima Fakih backs birth control, Obamacare
- Miss Michigan Rima Fakih has become the first Arab-American and Muslim to be crowned Miss USA. Fakih, 24, is of Lebanese descent. She won the swimsuit, evening gown and interview competitions. Fakih said during her interview that she believes birth control should be paid for by a national health insurance...
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Dow Just Had Worst Black Friday on Record
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.