Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Her Postpartum Depression
Ended Up Claiming 2 Lives
May 8, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
Her Postpartum Depression Ended Up Claiming 2 Lives
CNN shares the story of Pranaiya Oulapathorn
- The first few months of Pranaiya Oulapathorn's life as a new mom went pretty well, aside from a few not-uncommon hiccups. As Ivana Kottasová reports for CNN , Oulapathorn struggled with breastfeeding—supply and clogged ducts were recurring issues. The 37-year-old's British husband, Hamish Magoffin, says they finally decided...
Alanis Morissette Has 3rd Bout
of Postpartum Depression
Oct 22, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Alanis Morissette Has 3rd Bout of Postpartum Depression
Singer describes the 'compulsive, obsessive thoughts' that come along with it
- Alanis Morissette gave birth to her third child in August—and, for the third time, the singer is dealing with postpartum depression. She opened up about the struggle in a blog post on her website and an interview on
CBS This Morning
. "This time around, it's less depression,...
First Postpartum Depression
Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Mar 20, 2019 4:25 AM CDT
First Postpartum Depression Drug: Effective, Cumbersome
Women felt improvement within 24 hours, but need to get it via IV for 60 hours
- A groundbreaking treatment has been approved for what doctors say is a major medical condition that doesn't get talked about enough. The FDA has approved brexanolone, the first treatment specifically targeting postpartum depression, which will be sold as "Zulresso,"
reports. Doctors say it is much...
Aug 7, 2018 4:04 AM CDT
Citing New-Mom Struggles, Serena Ditches Competition
Tennis star withdraws from Canada's Rogers Cup, says she's been in 'a funk'
- New moms, Serena Williams gets you—specifically if you're feeling all kinds of confusing emotions months after your baby has arrived. The BBC reports that the 36-year-old tennis star yanked herself out of Canada's Rogers Cup competition this week, initially citing "personal reasons." An Instagram post...
Mar 15, 2017 7:57 AM CDT
Baby Blues Are Common. Solution Could Be Simple
A trio of supplements, taken for just 3 days, might have dramatic results
- Could new mothers fight off the baby blues by taking a trio of supplements? Researchers at Canada's Center for Addiction and Mental Health are reporting in the journal
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
that their small new study suggests so, and they say there's something novel...
Chrissy Teigen Never Tweeted
About This Struggle—Until Now
Mar 6, 2017 2:40 PM CST
Chrissy Teigen Never Tweeted About This Struggle—Until Now
Supermodel's essay in 'Glamour' reveals she suffers from postpartum depression
- Chrissy Teigen's Twitter feed is where you can find her joking about her wordplay with husband John Legend , posting NSFW musings on nutrition, and famously sparring with Piers Morgan . But one thing the supermodel hasn't really tweeted about is now the subject of an essay she penned for...
After Wife's Suicide,
Husband Has Moving
Message for New Moms
Jan 19, 2017 9:21 AM CST
After Wife's Suicide, Husband Has Moving Message for New Moms
'You are Not alone," Kim Chen writes of postpartum depression
- A grieving husband who lost his wife to an apparent suicide has made an emotional appeal to new moms facing postpartum depression. Florence Leung, 32, left her 2-month-old son in October and never came home, CBC reports . Her body was found several weeks later. Now, husband Kim Chen is reaching...
Oct 14, 2015 7:39 AM CDT
Star Battling Postpartum Depression
Hayden Panettiere 'voluntarily seeking professional help,' says rep
- Hayden Panettiere is receiving treatment 10 months after giving birth to her daughter, Kaya Evdokia. She "is voluntarily seeking professional help at a treatment center as she is currently battling postpartum depression," her rep tells
. The 26-year-old opened up about the condition while discussing her
What a New Mom's
Suicide Teaches Us
Jun 21, 2014 12:09 PM CDT
What a New Mom's Suicide Teaches Us
She was convinced she'd caused son brain damage
- Experts long thought that symptoms of postpartum mental illness appear within weeks of a baby's birth. But the heartbreaking story of Cindy Wachenheim, recounted in the
New York Times
, is among the tragedies that defy that theory. When Wachenheim's son was four months old, she began showing signs...
a Risk for Dads, Too
Apr 15, 2014 12:12 PM CDT
Postpartum Depression a Risk for Dads, Too
New study finds that young first-time fathers are particularly at risk
- Postpartum depression is a risk not just for new moms, but also for new dads—particularly young ones, a new study finds. The Northwestern Medicine study found that first-time fathers around age 25 who lived with their children had a 68% increase in depression symptoms during their first five years...
Doctors: Andrea Yates
Ready for Picnics, Outings
Feb 17, 2014 1:09 AM CST
Doctors: Andrea Yates Ready for Picnics, Outings
Mother who drowned her 5 kids has been institutionalized since 2006
- A Texas mother who drowned her five children in a bathtub in 2001 is ready to leave the state psychiatric hospital for picnics and other outings with fellow patients, her doctors say. Andrea Yates, 49, has been institutionalized since 2006, when a second trial found her not guilty by reason...
8-Story NYC Fall;
Mar 14, 2013 7:16 AM CDT
Baby Survives 8-Story NYC Fall; Mom Doesn't
Police say Cindy Bacharach jumped to her death, with her son
- A 10-month-old baby is miraculously alive today, after surviving a fall from an eighth-story Harlem apartment—by landing on his mother's chest. Cindy Bacharach, a 44-year-old lawyer, leapt out of her apartment window yesterday afternoon while clutching the child after an argument with her husband, police tell the
for New Moms:
Eat the Placenta
in case you missed it
Aug 27, 2011 12:30 PM CDT
New Craze for New Moms: Eat the Placenta
Cooked or in smoothies, it has high iron levels and vitamin B-12
- More mothers are turning to a healthy diet after giving birth, including fruit, veggies ... and a nice plate of placenta. As in, their own. Before losing your appetite, consider that placentas contain high iron levels, vitamin B-12, and hormones, and while no study proves their effect, believers say they alleviate...
Mar 14, 2011 7:52 AM CDT
Postpartum Blues Hit Dads, Too
And those fathers are more likely to spank their young kids: study
- New moms aren’t the only ones who may end up battling depression: Dads can face a similar problem, and those who do are more likely to spank their 1-year-olds, a study finds. Some 40% of depressed fathers reported spanking kids that age, while only 13% of dads who weren’...
Study: Abortion Does Not
Raise Risk of Mental Illness
Jan 27, 2011 12:15 PM CST
Study: Abortion Does Not Raise Risk of Mental Illness
But having a baby just might
- Having an abortion does not increase the risk of mental health problems, but having a baby does, suggests one of the largest studies to compare the aftermath of both decisions. The research by Danish scientists further debunks the notion that terminating a pregnancy can trigger mental illness and shows postpartum...
Aug 21, 2010 12:41 PM CDT
Postpartum Depression Is Preventable
... if trained nurses get involved
- The solution to preventing postpartum depression may lay in the hands of ... nurses, according to a new study. Researchers in the UK found that women who received a visit from a nurse who had been trained to assess and psychologically support new moms were 30% less likely to have become...
Affects Dads, Too
May 18, 2010 1:00 PM CDT
Postpartum Depression Affects Dads, Too
About 1 in 10 show symptoms, says new study
- Postpartum depression doesn't just hit new moms. A new study suggests that 1 in 10 fathers—about half the rate for women—are afflicted, reports Live Science . Generally, it's most common when the baby is 3 to 6 months old, and the symptoms manifest themselves differently in guys, who become...
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.