Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Students React to Writer's
Talk by Burning Her Book
Oct 12, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Students React to Writer's Talk by Burning Her Book
Jennine Capó Crucet was speaking out against white privilege
- A visiting novelist at Georgia Southern University inspired such debate Wednesday that some students set her book on fire, BuzzFeed reports. Jennine Capó Crucet told a student audience about her novel,
Make Your Home Among Strangers
, which depicts a Cuban American girl trying to fit in with a privileged, mostly...
Apr 1, 2019 5:48 PM CDT
Priests Hold Book Burning
Polish priests burn 'Harry Potter,' 'Twilight' tomes
- Book burning is not a thing of the past, at least not in Poland, where Catholic priests recently burned books they believe to be sacrilegious. Among the tomes that went up in flames were Harry Potter books, thanks to concerns about witchcraft and sorcery. The evangelical SMS From Heaven Foundation...
Man Burns LGBT Kids' Books
to Spite Pride Event
Oct 26, 2018 2:22 PM CDT
Man Burns LGBT Kids' Books to Spite Pride Event
There may be legal action against Paul Dorr by the library where he says he got the books from
- What was supposed to be a positive celebration of an LGBT community in Iowa was somewhat marred after a man recorded himself on Facebook burning LGBT-themed books (some of them children's volumes) he said he'd checked out of the Orange City Public Library. The
Des Moines Register
Dad Has Perfect Burn for
Book Club Permission Slip
Oct 25, 2016 12:32 PM CDT
Dad Has Perfect Burn for Book Club Permission Slip
Son needed OK to read 'Fahrenheit 451,' about book censorship
- Rain on your wedding day? Not really ironic . Not being allowed to read a dystopian novel about book censorship without getting the green light from your parents? Maybe a little ironic. That's the situation Milo Radosh found himself in when he had to get a permission slip signed so...
So, How Does
Burn a Book?
Sep 9, 2010 1:09 PM CDT
So, How Does One Actually Burn a Book?
It's not as much of a no-brainer as you might think
- There's been
of talk about Koran burning of late, but amid discussions of legality and appropriateness, one topic hasn't gotten much attention: "If you wanted to engage in a ritual of gross religious intolerance, what would be the best way to burn a book?" asks Brian Palmer for...
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.