Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Women Fell Hard for Him.
Many Say It Cost Them
May 15, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
The 'New Yorker' digs into an alleged serial con man
- Lauren Markham has known her friend Julia for more than two decades, giving her a front-row seat to the dealings of a suave New Yorker with a great head of hair who wooed women—Julia's mother among them—and then allegedly slowly sapped money from them. In a lengthy...
'Catch Me if You Can,'
Apr 10, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
'Catch Me if You Can,' Australian Style
Jody Harris was bold and brazen, but ultimately undone by love
- Alysha Searle, “an underslept, overcaffeinated barista,” was pulled over during her commute on Melbourne’s Eastern Freeway in 2006. The female officer berated Searle for running a red light and demanded to see her license. A moment later, the officer got an emergency call and told Searle to...
Con Woman Who
Rich Heiress in
Apr 2, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Con Woman Who Faked Being Rich Heiress in ICE Custody
After being released from prison, Anna Sorokin (aka 'Anna Delvey') may now get sent back to Germany
- She pretended to be a rich New York socialite named Anna Delvey. Now, con artist Anna Sorokin is in the custody of US immigration authorities and facing deportation to her native Germany. An Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesperson tells the AP that Sorokin, 30, was detained on March 25 and...
'Con Queen of Hollywood'
Suspect Is Arrested
in case you missed it
Dec 6, 2020 1:04 PM CST
'Con Queen of Hollywood' Suspect Is Arrested
FBI says con man impersonated female studio execs, duped wannabe stars of cash
- Hollywood loves a good con artist story, but this one might hit a little too close to home. In this case, the victims were aspiring stars who were allegedly duped by a man impersonating top female Hollywood execs over the phone. The FBI has just announced the arrest of a...
Master Con Artist Began
as a Teenage Stowaway
Sep 1, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Master Con Artist Began as a Teenage Stowaway
Juan Carlos Guzman Betancur went on to steal from ritzy hotel guests by impersonating them
- In his native Colombia, locals know him as the "polizon," or stowaway. But as a story at Medium explains, Juan Carlos Guzman Betancur is known to detectives in the US and around the world as something else—"one of the most gifted conmen in the world,"...
How an $80M Scandal
Blew Up NYC's Art World
Apr 19, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
How an $80M Scandal Blew Up NYC's Art World
Barry Avrich chronicles a con in his new film, 'Made You Look: A True Story About Fake Art'
- When a prestigious gallery sells $80 million of modern art, it's a day at the office. When it's all fake, that's news—and the story behind a new documentary called
Made You Look: A True Story About Fake Art
, the CBC reports. Filmmaker Barry Avrich says he...
Serial Con Man's Unusual
Sentencing Request Granted
Nov 14, 2017 11:10 AM CST
Serial Con Man's Unusual Sentencing Request Granted
Jimmy Sabatino, who ran $10M fraud job from prison, will have almost zero contact with anyone
- In what the
calls an "extremely unusual" case out of Florida, a judge has granted an inmate accused of running a multimillion-dollar fraud job out of his jail cell his sentencing request: to keep him away from nearly every person on Earth so he won't be...
She Put Life Savings in a Bag,
Came Home With Corn Starch
Oct 26, 2017 5:15 PM CDT
She Put Life Savings in a Bag, Came Home With Corn Starch
'New Yorker' looks at rising 'blessing scams' in Chinatown
- It was a slick con. In Brooklyn's Chinatown, a small group of Chinese women working as a crew found their victim in another Chinese woman, this one a 61-year-old immigrant destined to lose her life savings in a "blessing scam." A story by Jiayang Fan in the...
It's Not Easy Leaving a Man
Even Strangers Are Terrified Of
Oct 7, 2017 2:50 PM CDT
It's Not Easy Leaving a Man Even Strangers Are Terrified Of
Part 5 in the 'Dirty John' series from the 'Los Angeles Times'
- "Scariest man I've met in my 70 years," attorney John Dzialo tells the
Los Angeles Times
in Part 5 of its six-part series on "Dirty John" Meehan, a conman who married a California woman desperate to find love . Dzialo was hired—and quickly fired—by Meehan...
Married for a Decade. Then
She Met the Real 'Dirty John'
Oct 4, 2017 4:08 PM CDT
Married for a Decade. Then She Met the Real 'Dirty John'
Conman called 'the most devious, dangerous, deceptive person I ever met'
- John Meehan became "Dirty John"—occasionally "Filthy John"—in law school. The nickname was bestowed by his classmates for the sheer number of women he would bring home, but it seemed to cover a lot of his unseemly behavior, Christopher Goffard writes in the third installment...
Wife to Presidents, 'Mom' to
Ivanka, or Maybe Just a Con
Sep 22, 2017 4:14 PM CDT
Wife to Presidents, 'Mom' to Ivanka, or Maybe Just a Con
Madame Giselle has some stories to tell
- “I’d never met anybody like her in my life,” Bob Underwood says. He says his neighbor, known as Madame Giselle, claimed to be the former wife of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and current secret wife of Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi. She told him she was...
of New Scam ...
Sep 2, 2017 1:10 PM CDT
'Legendary' Con Artist Accused of New Scam ... From Prison
Authorities say Jimmy Sabatino conned stores out of luxury goods over the phone
- Prison appears to be doing nothing to change serial con man Jimmy Sabatino. The
reports the "legendary" con artist pleaded guilty Friday to running a lucrative scam out of his cell at a federal facility in Florida. Authorities say Sabatino bought cellphones from corrections officers then used...
'Fake Love Scam' Costs
92-Year-Old His Life Savings
Nov 22, 2016 11:45 AM CST
'Fake Love Scam' Costs 92-Year-Old His Life Savings
'I think she was stalking me'
- Conning the elderly for financial gain is nothing new, but a scheme dubbed the "fake love scam" has officials on high alert. Authorities near Chicago say 92-year-old Aloysius Mack lost much of his life savings to a woman who first approached him at a McDonald's and eventually tricked...
He Was a Rich NFL Star. He
Got Scammed in Silicon Valley
Nov 18, 2016 1:13 PM CST
He Was a Rich NFL Star. He Got Scammed in Silicon Valley
Inside the odd story of Eren Niazi, Patrick Willis, and Open Storage Solutions
- Open Source Storage is a phoenix of sorts, reborn in 2013 from the ashes of the original Open Source Storage. It was founded by a twenty-something man named Eren Niazi in 2001 and ultimately bankrupted, but not before supposedly working with the likes of AOL, Sony, and the NSA. Niazi'...
Cops Found a
Head in a Bucket.
Then Things Got Weird
Jul 24, 2016 5:23 PM CDT
Cops Found a Head in a Bucket. Then Things Got Weird
In his truck police found cash, firearms, and a bucket with the head inside
- The severed head of Llewelyn Lucas, a beloved local pastor in Belize, was on July 16 found stuffed into a bucket in the back of a truck outside a bar. But as police began to investigate, things only got weirder, reports Vice in a lengthy look at last weekend's...
Con Man Fooled
Soldiers, Lived in
Apr 20, 2016 3:32 PM CDT
Con Man Fooled Soldiers, Lived in Army Barracks for Months
He even assigned rooms and conducted inspections
has a crazy look at how a 20-year-old con man successfully lived in the barracks at Fort Bragg for months despite never having served in the military. His ruse was apparently so successful he even started assigning rooms to new soldiers and conducting room inspections. The information...
Will Smith Is Back in
Feb 27, 2015 12:17 PM CST
Will Smith Is Back in
Smith, Margot Robbie charm in film that lacks sense: critics
- Will Smith stars as Nicky, an established con man who takes on a new apprentice, Australian newcomer Margot Robbie's Jess, in
. They both love the con game, but who's playing who? Here's what critics are saying:
Richard Corliss at
is a fan. "The mix
Man Faked Quadriplegia
in Effort to Duck Court
Oct 22, 2014 9:34 AM CDT
Man Faked Quadriplegia in Effort to Duck Court
Alan Knight admitting to stealing $65K from neighbor
- Some people work so hard to not have to work: Such is the case of Alan Knight, a 47-year-old Welsh man who conned $65,000 out of his neighbor, an 85-year-old pensioner with dementia. He then went to
lengths to avoid prosecution—claiming to be a quadriplegic and even...
of Scam Fundraising
After Newtown Shooting
Dec 27, 2012 6:21 PM CST
Woman Accused of Scam Fundraising After Newtown Shooting
Bronx resident allegedly lied about being related to a victim
- Scammers have been quick to exploit the tragedy in Newtown, and the FBI says it has arrested a Bronx woman for just that. Agents busted 37-year-old Nouel Alba today and accused her of pretending to be related to one of the young victims and seeking donations for the family via...
Cops Nab Guy
as Uncle of
Dec 26, 2012 7:30 PM CST
Cops Nab Guy Who Posed as Uncle of Adam Lanza
Jonathan Lee Riches has history of weird cons
- Police have arrested a convicted felon who drove to Newtown, Conn., and fed false information to the press while posing as Adam Lanza's uncle, The Smoking Gun reports. Jonathan Lee Riches, 35, was on probation for conspiracy and wire fraud when he showed up in Newtown as "Jonathan...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Lindsay Lohan: He's My Husband Now
After Court Ruling, State Puts Limits on Concealed Guns
Another City Angry Over a Police Shooting
World No. 1 Falls for First Time in 38 Matches
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.