Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Christian Woman Acquitted of
Blasphemy Leaves Pakistan
May 8, 2019 12:05 AM CDT
Christian Woman Acquitted of Blasphemy Leaves Pakistan
Asia Bibi case sparked riots
- A Christian woman acquitted of blasphemy after spending eight years on death row in Pakistan has left for Canada to be reunited with her daughters, Pakistani officials and others involved in the case said Wednesday. Asia Bibi, also known as Aasia Bibi, was convicted of blasphemy in 2009 after a...
Extremists Want Her to Die.
Instead, Court Frees Her (Again)
Jan 29, 2019 8:45 AM CST
Extremists Want Her to Die. Instead, Court Frees Her (Again)
Pakistani Supreme Court upholds acquittal of Christian accused of blasphemy, sentenced to die
- Asia Bibi is finally free to leave Pakistan, if she hasn't already. On Tuesday, the country's Supreme Court upheld its own acquittal of Bibi—a Christian mother first arrested a decade ago on blasphemy charges and sentenced to death in 2010 —rejecting a challenge to its earlier...
to Die for Blasphemy
Oct 31, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Pakistan Acquits Christian Sentenced to Die for Blasphemy
Massive protests expected after Asia Bibi freed
- Authorities in Pakistan are braced for massive protests after the acquittal of a Christian woman who was sentenced to death in 2010 for alleged blasphemy against Islam. Asia Bibi was accused of making derogatory remarks about the Prophet Mohammed in a 2009 argument with farmworkers who refused to drink water...
Christian's Death Sentence
Oct 17, 2014 4:45 AM CDT
Pakistan Upholds Christian's Death Sentence
Asia Bibi sentenced to die under blasphemy laws
- A Pakistani court has upheld the death sentence of a Christian woman whose 2010 conviction for blasphemy led to the assassination of two politicians who supported her, a defense lawyer says. Asia Bibi, a 50-year-old mother of five, had appealed before the Lahore High Court against the ruling, in which...
Christian to Death
Nov 10, 2010 2:00 AM CST
Pakistan Sentences Christian to Death for Blasphemy
Mother of 5 says she was persecuted because of religion
- Pakistan has sentenced a Christian woman to death for blasphemy against Islam, the
reports. Asia Bibi, a farmworker and mother of five, made derogatory remarks about Mohammed while arguing about religion with Muslim colleagues, say prosecutors. "Essentially the blasphemy law is used as a tool of persecution and...
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.