Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pakistani Minister Assassinated
Mar 2, 2011 5:00 AM CST
Pakistani Minister Assassinated
Christian lawmaker opposed blasphemy laws
- Pakistan's minister for religious minorities was gunned down today in the country's capital, AP reports. Shahbaz Bhatti, himself a member of the country's Christian minority, had been threatened by Islamic militants in the past for calling for reforms of the country's strict blasphemy laws, which impose the death penalty for...
Feb 3, 2011 4:21 AM CST
Pakistan Busts Schoolkid for Blasphemy
Human Rights Watch calls the case 'mind boggling'
- A 17-year-old boy in Karachi has been arrested for blaspheming the Prophet Muhammad in a school exam, drawing widespread condemnation, reports the BBC . Human Rights Watch called for the boy's release, saying that for police to lock him up was "mind boggling."
Pakistani Assassin Told
Other Officers of Plans
Jan 6, 2011 7:32 AM CST
Pakistani Assassin Told Other Officers of Plans
...yet Malik Qadri was assigned to Salman Taseer's detail anyway
- The bodyguard-turned-assassin who pumped multiple rounds into Pakistani Governor Salman Taseer was fulfilling a plan that he hadn't kept too close to the vest: Malik Mumtaz Qadri, a member of an elite police force, told other officers of his plans but was assigned to Taseer's detail all the same, says...
Gives Rise to Extremists
Jan 5, 2011 7:48 AM CST
Pakistan Assassination Gives Rise to Extremists
Salman Taseer fought to repeal blasphemy laws, was major PPP force
- Yesterday’s assassination of Salman Taseer could deepen Pakistan’s political crisis, and seriously weaken the government’s ability to oppose Islamic extremists. Taseer, the governor of Punjab Province, was maybe the country’s most prominent opponent of religious parties and extremism, and a major ally of the embattled secular...
Killed by Own Guard
Jan 4, 2011 10:11 AM CST
Pakistani Governor Killed by Own Guard
Assassination likely to deepen country's turmoil
- A key Pakistani governor was gunned down by his own bodyguard today in Islamabad, in the biggest assassination the violence-wracked country has endured since Benazir Bhutto's slaying three years ago. Salman Taseer, Punjab province's governor and a key ally of President Asif Ali Zardari, was gunned down as he got...
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.