Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Phony Will Worked—
Until His Ex Got Suspicious
Nov 19, 2023 12:50 PM CST
The Phony Will Worked— Until His Ex Got Suspicious
'Toronto Life' unravels story of ex-cop, his mistress, and the money they stole from a dead man
- In one sense, the story by Katherine Laidlaw in
recounts a straightforward, depressing crime: When an elderly man with dementia died without a will and seemingly without relatives, a couple successfully schemed to illegally obtain his estate of more than $800,000. They pulled it off because Adellene...
The Rare Kit Kats Made It to
the US. Then Came the Scam
Nov 12, 2023 9:01 AM CST
The Rare Kit Kats Made It to the US. Then Came the Scam
'Strategic theft' is on the rise. This was one instance of it
- As far as scams go, it's a strange and confusing one—and on the rise. The
New York Times
delves into the world of "strategic theft," which it describes as "part identity theft, part extortion," with a real-world case involving 55,000 unusually flavored Kit...
Cancer Scammer Apologizes:
'I Didn't Do This for Money'
Oct 23, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Cancer Scammer Apologizes: 'I Didn't Do This for Money'
Madison Russo says it was an attempt to keep her family together; she will avoid prison
- An Iowa woman who falsely claimed to have cancer and documented her "battle" on social media will stay out of prison after a judge gave her probation and a suspended sentence, per the AP . Madison Russo, 20, never had pancreatic cancer, leukemia, or the football-sized tumor wrapped around her...
She Wanted Anonymity After
Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Sep 22, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
She Wanted Anonymity After Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Cristy Davis advocates for winners being able to stay anonymous after scammers exploited her
- No one matched all the requisite numbers in Wednesday's Powerball drawing, which has sent the jackpot for Saturday night's picks to $725 million . Winning such a huge lottery is a moment most of us have daydreamed about, but Cristy Davis actually lived that dream, after claiming a $70...
He Lost Life Savings to Scam.
The Bank Stepped Up
Sep 12, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
He Lost Life Savings to Scam. The Bank Stepped Up
Australia's ANZ recognized 78-year-old Alex Shaw, who has dementia, had been taken for $300K
- An elderly man from Down Under who was scammed out of his life savings has received a reprieve, in a tale described by the Good News Network as "a story of corporate responsibility in the face of personal tragedy." ABC Australia notes that although scam victims in the...
Cops: Cyberscam Led
Man to Kill His Family
Aug 31, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Cops: Cyberscam Led Man to Kill His Family
Thai police say Sanit Dokmai, now charged with premeditated murder, also tried to take his own life
- At least 11 people are suspected to be involved with a loan scam that allegedly drove a man to kill his wife and two young boys before trying to take his own life in their family home, Thai police said Wednesday. Sanit Dokmai has been charged with premeditated murder after...
Imprisoned Over Huge Scam,
He Insists It Was All Legal
Aug 5, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Imprisoned Over Huge Scam, He Insists It Was All Legal
'The Walrus' tells the story of Patrice Runner, who pitched psychic services to believers
- As a teen, Canadian Patrice Runner was so intrigued by the power of persuasive copywriting that he set out to become one. Eventually, he was running a booming direct marketing business selling numerous schemes and self-help publications—and the abilities of a psychic, Maria Duval . As Rachel Browne writes for...
She Left a Holocaust Survivor
'Penniless and Betrayed'
Jul 28, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
She Left a Holocaust Survivor 'Penniless and Betrayed'
Peaches Stergo, who stole $2.8M from him, is handed a 51-month sentence
- The Florida woman who "deceived an 87-year-old Holocaust survivor, maliciously draining his life savings so she could become a millionaire through fraud," will pay for her crime. Peaches Stergo, 36, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in April and was on Thursday sentenced to four years and three months...
8 Busted in Alleged
California Recycling Scam
Jul 27, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
8 Busted in Alleged California Recycling Scam
They allegedly brought in tons of cans and bottles from Arizona
- California charges an extra 5 or 10 cents on bottles and cans, which can be redeemed when they're returned to a recycling center—and those nickels and dimes can add up to a lot of money, especially if you're bringing in out-of-state containers by the ton. The state...
Man's Yearslong Manure
Scam Sends Him to Prison
Jun 28, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Man's Yearslong Manure Scam Sends Him to Prison
Ray Brewer, 66, sentenced to 6 years for cow dung-to-green energy scheme
- A California man is going to prison for running a cow dung-to-green energy scheme that authorities say was a load of manure. Ray Brewer, 66, of Porterville was sentenced Monday to six years and nine months in federal prison in a yearslong scam that bilked investors out of $8.75...
Mom: Kidnap Scam Used
AI Clone of Daughter's Voice
Apr 30, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Mom: Kidnap Scam Used AI Clone of Daughter's Voice
Jennifer DeStefano is spreading the word after terrifying phone call
- Jennifer DeStefano got a call from an unknown number while her 15-year-old daughter Brianna was at an athletic event. Fearing an emergency, she answered, reports CNN . DeStefano heard a girl's voice identical to Brianna's. She screamed that she'd "messed up," then the terrified mom heard...
Principal Quits After Being
Scammed by Fake Elon Musk
Mar 30, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Principal Quits After Being Scammed by Fake Elon Musk
She wrote $100K check after months of communicating with fraudster
- The principal of a charter STEM school in Florida resigned this week after saying she had been taken in by a scammer pretending to be Elon Musk. "I am a very smart lady. Well-educated. I fell for a scam," Dr. Jan McGee told a board meeting, per WESH...
FTC Warns of 'Terrifying'
Phone Scam Driven by AI
Mar 23, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
FTC Warns of 'Terrifying' Phone Scam Driven by AI
Agency says voice cloning can make caller sound like a loved one begging for money
- Many of us have heard of the old hoax in which victims receive phone calls from "police" or a "doctor" (actually scammers) saying that a loved one is in trouble and needs money sent stat. Now, in what NPR says "sounds like a plot from a science...
They Make a Living
Jan 29, 2023 8:00 AM CST
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
'Rest of World' profiles the duo behind Trilogy Media of YouTube fame
- In the jargon of their chosen field, Artsiom “Art” Kulik and Ashton Bingham are "scambaiters." Which means, as a profile at Rest of World explains, that the popular YouTubers make it their mission to flip the tables on workers at call centers who try to scam unsuspecting...
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
Feds Nab Pastor, Son in
Alleged $8.4M COVID Scam
Dec 15, 2022 1:47 PM CST
Feds Nab Pastor, Son in Alleged $8.4M COVID Scam
Evan and Josh Edwards accused of setting up fake ministry, trying to buy posh home near Disney
- In early July, NBC News filed a report about a Florida pastor and his family, accused by federal prosecutors in late 2020 court papers of pulling off a big-bucks COVID relief scam. "Why haven't they been charged?" the news outlet asked regarding the "curious" case. That question...
Woman Duped Out of $30K
in Out-of-This-World Scam
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Woman Duped Out of $30K in Out-of-This-World Scam
Online lover convinced 65-year-old in Japan he was astronaut who needed cash to return to Earth
- Nigerian prince scams are so 1990s—welcome to the 21st century and the Russian cosmonaut scam. Kyodo News reports that police are looking into the claims of a 65-year-old woman in Japan's Shiga prefecture who said she fell in love with a man online who tricked her into...
Mom in $140M
Aug 12, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Scammed Own Mom in $140M Psychic Ruse
Sabine Boghici, 48, and accomplices are accused of conning her 82-year-old mother for years
- A Brazilian woman was arrested this week and accused of recruiting a group of fake psychics to scam her own 82-year-old mother out of about $140 million in cash, artwork, and jewelry, reports the
. The alleged scheme began in January 2020, when Genevieve Boghici, the wealthy widow of...
Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Jul 22, 2022 3:01 AM CDT
GoFundMe Scammer Sentenced to a Year in Prison
Katelyn McClure could get more time on state charges
: New Jersey woman Katelyn McClure has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for her role in a 2017 GoFundMe scam. McClure, who pleaded guilty to wire fraud, was also ordered to pay $400,000 in restitution, the Department of Justice says. The 32-year-old could face more prison...
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.