Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police: Teenage Thief
Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Nov 17, 2021 6:16 PM CST
Police: Teenage Thief Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Canadian scammer intercepted authentication request, investigators say
- A cross-border investigation has led to the arrest of a teenager in Canada suspected of a cryptocurrency theft of more than $36 million US from a single person. Officials called it the largest cryptocurrency scam involving one person in Canadian history, CTV News reports. Police did not release the age...
A Common Housing Scam
Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Nov 10, 2021 11:26 AM CST
A Common Housing Scam Is Plaguing Detroit Residents
Some 10% of people facing eviction there may have fallen victim to it
- The eviction notice made no sense. June Walker flat out owned her Detroit home—or so she thought. As NBC News and Outlier Media report as part of a four-month investigation, the 65-year-old is part of an increasingly common "fake landlord" scam plaguing the city that's thought to...
Radio Host Gets
3 Life Sentences
for Ponzi Scheme
Nov 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
Radio Host Gets 3 Life Sentences for Ponzi Scheme
William Neil Gallagher vowed to help people retire safe, did the opposite
- It turns out the "Money Doctor" didn't dispense much in the way of financial health. Texas radio host William Neil Gallagher—who went by that name and ran the Gallagher Financial Group—was on Monday sentenced to three life sentences for bilking 192 people out of at least...
Scammers Make Off With $3M
Nov 2, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
-Inspired Scammers Make Off With $3M
Cryptocurrency SQUID, which generated a lot of headlines, could be bought but not sold
- A cryptocurrency seemingly linked to Netflix blockbuster
turned out to be a scam that netted its creators more than $3 million. SQUID, touted as a "play-to-earn cryptocurrency," had surged in price in recent days, hitting a peak of $2,861 early Monday after outlets including the...
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty
in COVID Vaccine Scam
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Maryland Man Pleads Guilty in COVID Vaccine Scam
Fake site set up to look just like Moderna's offered supposed doses for $30 a pop, feds say
- Earlier this year, before COVID vaccines were readily available to eligible patients, a website suddenly popped up advertising Moderna doses for $30 each. That site turned out to be a fake, and now a Maryland man has owned up to his role in getting it up and running. The
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for
Years, to the Tune of $600K
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for Years, to the Tune of $600K
Donna Marino's spouse didn't have Alzheimer's but she made him think he did to control his money
- For two decades, a Connecticut man says he let his wife handle virtually all of his finances for him, a move he apparently felt even more necessary once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. At least, he thought he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. East Haven police say that'...
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Wedding Florist's Alleged
Shtick: Not Showing Up
Sep 23, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Wedding Florist's Alleged Shtick: Not Showing Up
Ohio AG says Desiree Gilliam Pace scammed 48 clients out of $50K
- A purported florist allegedly accepted tens of thousands of dollars from couples ahead of their weddings, but never showed up with the ordered flowers. That's according to Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost, who's suing the now-shuttered Flowers by Des in Xenia, Greene County, for violations of the Consumers...
It's the 'Most
Ever' on Robocalls
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 5:34 PM CDT
It's the 'Most Meaningful Regulatory Action Ever' on Robocalls
FCC requiring phone providers to verify phone number before call is made
- If you've noticed a recent drop in spam calls, thank the Federal Communications Commission. As of June 30, major US phone providers must use caller ID authentication meant to block spoofed robocalls, costing Americans some $10 billion annually, and help "law enforcement track bad actors," according to...
Got Salt Water: India
Jul 5, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Vaccine Recipients Got Salt Water: India
Doctors were involved in scam, police say
- Scores of people in India who traveled to vaccination camps received injections of salt water instead of vaccine that would protect them against the coronavirus, authorities say. About a dozen private sites were set up in the city of Mumbai in May and June, the
New York Times
He Thought He Found Love in
Ukraine. Then a 'Surreal' Twist
Jun 27, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
He Thought He Found Love in Ukraine. Then a 'Surreal' Twist
UK man tells BBC how he lost $250K in a Ukraine scam
- "I was such an idiot." So declares a UK man identified only as James as he explains to the BBC how he became the victim of a $250,000 scam. The 52-year-old charity worker was in Ukraine when his translator set him up on a blind date with...
How Scammers Made Use
of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
Apr 25, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
How Scammers Made Use of MacKenzie Scott's Largesse
She gave billions directly to foundations, and scammers took advantage of that
- "What a gift she’s given them," professor Marti DeLiema tells the
New York Times
of MacKenzie Scott and the almost $6 billion she gave away last year. But the "them" DeLiema is referring to isn't the hundreds of nonprofits who were surprised to get an...
90-Year-Old Scammed of
$33M in Just 6 Months
Apr 21, 2021 9:16 AM CDT
90-Year-Old Scammed of $33M in Just 6 Months
The crime happened to a wealthy woman in Hong Kong
New York Times
uses the word "staggering," and understandably so. Hong Kong police say a 90-year-old woman fell victim to a phone scam that over a period of just six months saw her hand over $32.8 million. The initial caller who contacted her in August reportedly...
Dec 19, 2020 12:35 PM CST
Vaccine Scams Are Already Happening
Homeland Security agents are already chasing down fake websites
- If you're seeing coronavirus vaccine deals, look again: US officials say they're almost certainly scams. Whether by email, phone, or online, scammers are angling to take advantage of our desire for inoculation. "If you're receiving unsolicited offers for a vaccine—not one, not two, but about...
How California Inmates
Allegedly Pulled Off
Nov 25, 2020 2:19 PM CST
How California Inmates Allegedly Pulled Off Another Crime
Authorities believe they obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in unemployment aid
- Authorities in California on Tuesday announced that tens of thousands of prisoners, including Scott Peterson and many others on death row, had scammed the state for hundreds of millions of dollars in unemployment benefits. So how'd they managed it? The fraud has been linked to every institution run by...
That 'Secret Sister'
It's a Scam
Nov 23, 2020 4:40 AM CST
That 'Secret Sister' Gift Exchange? It's a Scam
Don't fall for it, outlets warn
- It's the holiday season, which means it's time for news outlets' annual reminder to readers to steer clear of a common Christmas-themed online scam. Posts about so-called "Secret Sister" gift exchanges proliferate social media around this time of year, asking for "six women" who want to...
Mystery Seeds a 'Much Larger'
Operation Than We Thought
in case you missed it
Sep 13, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Mystery Seeds a 'Much Larger' Operation Than We Thought
Thousands of Americans may have planted them, while others admitted to eating them, per Vice
- Hundreds, possibly thousands, of Americans planted the mystery seeds they received in the mail over the summer, against the advice of US authorities, while others decided to pop them in their mouths. That's according to Jason Koebler at Vice , who read through "thousands of internal emails" from state...
NFL Player Charged
in COVID Relief Scam
Sep 11, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
NFL Player Charged in COVID Relief Scam
Feds say Josh Bellamy received more than $1.2M in the scheme
- Former NFL player Josh Bellamy was arrested and charged Thursday with participating in a scheme to file fraudulent applications for more than $24 million in coronavirus relief funds, authorities said. Bellamy, 31, of St. Petersburg, is charged with wire fraud, bank fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank...
Jul 28, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Police: Students Scammed Into Kidnapping Themselves
Scam is targeting Chinese young adults studying in Australia
- A scam that ends with people tying themselves up in a hotel room and sending photos of it to their family? Outlandish but true, say Australian police, who are warning Chinese students in Sydney of a surge of "virtual kidnapping" cases in the country. Police say they have this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.