Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Feds, States Bring Huge Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
Die-Hards Are Certain: The
Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Lives
Apr 8, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Die-Hards Are Certain: The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Lives
But grainy photos and videos may not be enough to ward off a federal 'extinct' declaration
- Is the ivory-billed woodpecker gone forever ? A final decision from the US Fish and Wildlife Service is expected sometime this spring on whether to declare the bird extinct, reports Ryan Felton for the
Wall Street Journal
. His story, and another by lifelong birder Jim Williams at the
Airbnb Oddity: 700 Pounds
of Acorns Stashed in Wall
Feb 7, 2023 12:08 PM CST
Airbnb Oddity: 700 Pounds of Acorns Stashed in Wall
A couple of very industrious critters caused a little trouble at a California rental
- Sometimes when you walk into an Airbnb, you don't want to know what its previous occupants have been up to. And sometimes once you know, there's no unknowing. In the case of a two-story house in Glen Ellen, California, the previous occupants had been very busy, but in...
Research Refutes Common
Theory on Woodpeckers
Jul 15, 2022 9:44 AM CDT
Research Refutes Common Theory on Woodpeckers
Birds don't have a natural 'shock absorber' to protect their brains
- Why don't woodpeckers knock themselves loopy when bashing their head against a tree? For years, the prevailing wisdom has been that they have some kind of natural shock absorber in their skulls to protect their brains, explains NPR . But a new study in
refutes the idea. By...
For 23 Endangered Species,
All Hope Is Now Gone
Sep 29, 2021 6:56 AM CDT
For 23 Endangered Species, All Hope Is Now Gone
Ivory-billed woodpecker, nearly 2 dozen other species have been declared extinct by US
- Wednesday is set to be a sad day for nearly two dozen endangered species, with all hope gone that we'll ever see them again. Federal wildlife authorities are expected to announce that the ivory-billed woodpecker, Bachman's warbler, and 20 other animals, as well as one plant, are now...
Brains Don't Burst
Apr 14, 2012 9:47 AM CDT
Why Woodpeckers' Brains Don't Burst
Scientists found a spongy plate that protects the birds' brains
- After jackhammering their heads into trees all day, how is it that woodpeckers don't head home with the mother of all headaches, much less brain injury? The key is an astonishingly strong skull, say researchers in Beijing. Scientists discovered that the birds' skulls are insulated with a remarkably thick,...
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.