Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Thrift Store Find Turns Out to Be Salvador Dali Artwork
Purgatory Canto 32 has since been sold for $1.2K
- Plenty of people would've passed by the art print in the dusty, old frame at Hotline Pink Thrift Shop in Kitty Hawk, NC. But Wendy Hawkins, who volunteers at the store twice a week, thought it looked rather unique, sitting on the floor, waiting to be sorted. "I...
Sketch Bought at Thrift Shop Is Worth 6 Figures
It's by expressionist Egon Schiele, and it could fetch up to $200K
- A sharp-eyed customer who picked up an unusual sketch at a Habitat for Humanity thrift shop in New York City is going to make a handsome profit. Turns out, the sketch (see it here ) is by a renowned Austrian expressionist named Egon Schiele, and it could fetch up to...
Marie Kondo Craze: Thrift Stores Much More Cluttered
Inspired by tidiness guru's hit show, people are emptying out their closets
- It's a good time to turn into a hoarder: Marie Kondo is sweeping the closets and junk drawers of newfound neat-freaks nationwide, and the contents of newly tidied spaces are turning into something of a boon for thrift stores and consignment shops. Since the tidying guru's Netflex series,...
'Space Oddity' Astronaut's Suit Turns Up in Thrift Shop
Chris Hadfield doesn't know how it got there
- Remember that astronaut who sang David Bowie's "Space Oddity" on the International Space Station? Chris Hadfield is making headlines again—or rather, his flight suit is. Somehow the blue outfit ended up in a Toronto thrift store, CBC reports. "I thought, wow, what is a flight suit...
Guy Finds $35K Watch at Goodwill Store
Rare 1959 diving watch had $5.99 price tag
- A Phoenix man who went into a Goodwill store looking for a used push-pull golf cart ended up leaving with a $35,000 watch—and getting change from $6 (it cost $5.99). Zach Norris, who became interested in vintage watches after inheriting one a few years ago, says he...
Goodwill Reunites Family With 1812 Heirloom Bible
An employee's search turns up NJ descendant
- A centuries-old heirloom Bible has found its way back into family hands thanks to a dedicated Goodwill employee. After the 1812 Bible, originally published in England, turned up in a box of donations at a Denver location, Goodwill's Chief People Officer Joyce Schlose knew she had to track down...
6 Now Dead in Philadelphia Building Collapse
Death toll rises
- Five more bodies have been pulled from the rubble of today's building collapse in downtown Philadelphia, bringing the death toll to six, reports AP . The collapse happened when a building under demolition unexpectedly came crashing down this morning, destroying an adjoining Salvation Army thrift shop and crushing some who...
Accused Shoplifter Blames Name of 'Finders Keepers'
He says he thought items were for the taking
- Ruben Pavon swears he didn't mean to steal a grill and a DVD player from the porch of a New Hampshire thrift store—he just thought the business's name, Finders Keepers, meant they were free, WCVB reports. "I'm thinking to myself, 'Finders Keepers. They probably...
Popular on Newser
Trump Did Not Like What He Saw on 60 Minutes
10 Random Assaults in 20 Nights Has City on Edge
Her Son Was Killed by Cops. She Was Shot at His Funeral
This Solstice, a Sight Not Seen Since Middle Ages
Nurse's TikTok COVID Video May Cost Her a Job
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.