Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
4 Months After One
Death, Another Tragedy
Dec 7, 2020 11:38 AM CST
4 Months After One Death, Another Tragedy
Melinda Coleman, mother of Daisy Coleman, takes her own life, says advocacy group
- Her daughter took her own life four months ago at the age of 23 after enduring an unwanted national spotlight, and now Melinda Coleman has died by apparent suicide herself at the age of 58, reports the
Kansas City Star
. Prior to the death of daughter Daisy Coleman, Melinda Coleman...
After Rape at 14
and Horrific Aftermath,
Daisy Coleman Dead at 23
Aug 6, 2020 6:56 AM CDT
After Rape at 14 and Horrific Aftermath, Daisy Coleman Dead at 23
She took her own life
- Daisy Coleman, whose devastating rape in 2012 and the horror that ensued were explored in a 2016 Netflix documentary, is dead at age 23. Coleman, who was just 14 when she was raped by a popular boy she considered a friend at a party in Maryville, Missouri, was one of...
No Sex Assault Charges
in Missouri's 'Daisy' Case
Jan 9, 2014 12:38 PM CST
No Sex Assault Charges in Missouri's 'Daisy' Case
Instead, prosecutor charges teen with misdemeanor child endangerment
- Charges have been filed against a Missouri teenager accused of raping a younger classmate at a party, but they're probably not going to satisfy the supporters of Daisy Coleman . The Jackson County prosecutor charged Matthew Barnett, now 19, with misdemeanor child endangerment but made no mention of the alleged...
Missouri Teen in 'Daisy'
Rape Case Attempts Suicide
Jan 7, 2014 12:06 PM CST
Missouri Teen in 'Daisy' Rape Case Attempts Suicide
Daisy Coleman in hospital, says her mother
- A Missouri teenager whose allegations of rape against a popular football player and subsequent bullying became a national story is in the hospital after a suicide attempt, reports Fox4KC . Daisy Coleman, who says she was raped in 2012 at age 14 by a 17-year-old boy who got her drunk at...
This Is My Story
Oct 18, 2013 3:35 PM CDT
Daisy Coleman: This Is My Story
Maryville teen describes alleged rape
- "Daisy's case" has the nation's attention, and today Daisy Coleman tells her story in an essay on xoJane.com . "My whole life since January 8, 2012, has been a long, reckless winter," she writes. That was the night she and her friend Paige, then...
to Be Reopened
Oct 17, 2013 4:24 PM CDT
'Daisy's Case' in Maryville to Be Reopened
County prosecutor calls for special prosecutor
- All the attention worked: The Nodaway County prosecutor has asked for "Daisy's case," which centers around the alleged rapes of two teens in Maryville, Missouri, to be reopened. Robert Rice had initially dropped the charges against the suspects, but now he's asked a judge to appoint...
2nd Victim in
Cops Blamed Us
Oct 17, 2013 7:07 AM CDT
2nd Victim in 'Daisy's Case': Cops Blamed Us
Paige Parkhurst tells her story of victim shaming
- With a review pending in the Maryville, Mo., rape case , of Daisy Coleman , the second victim has come forward with her side of the story. Paige Parkhurst was 13 when she and Daisy, then 14, sneaked out of Daisy's home to meet two boys in 2012. Both girls, she...
for Review of
Oct 16, 2013 7:43 AM CDT
Momentum Builds for Review of 'Daisy's Case'
Lieutenant governor wants grand jury called
- After Melinda Coleman decided to go public with the horrifying story of the rape of her daughter, Daisy, in Maryville, Mo., the state's lieutenant governor and House speaker are calling for the case to get a second look, the
Kansas City Star
reports. The attorney general previously said he...
Over 'Daisy's Case'
Oct 15, 2013 7:15 AM CDT
Anonymous Takes On Missouri Town Over 'Daisy's Case'
'Maryville, expect us,' says hacker group
- Sunday saw the publication of a lengthy
Kansas City Star
investigation into the alleged rape of 14-year-old Daisy Coleman in Maryville, Mo., a case which saw authorities drop charges against a well-connected 17-year-old boy. Now, hackers are taking matters into their own hands,
reports. "If Maryville won’t...
Mom Says Teen Was Raped,
Then Nightmare Began
Oct 14, 2013 8:45 AM CDT
Mom Says Teen Was Raped, Then Nightmare Began
Alleged victim's house burns down after charges dropped
- A Missouri family moved to a new city to escape the past—but wound up finding new anguish in not just an alleged rape, but the cruel aftermath. The
Kansas City Star
has spent seven months digging into the story of Melinda Coleman and her four kids, who moved to...
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Moon Knight Star Dies 2 Days After Trailer Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.