Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,775,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
She Got a Raffle Ticket as a Gift, Now Owns a Picasso
Italian woman wins $1.1M painting in charity raffle
- An Italian woman is the new owner of a century-old painting by Pablo Picasso, worth $1.1 million—but she didn't buy it. The unidentified woman won 1921's "Nature Morte"—a small oil painting depicting a glass of absinthe and a newspaper on a table—in...
Mystery Hockey Fan: I Don't Want Your $19K
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh gets his winnings
- A Washington Capitals fan managed to donate over $19,000 to people in need and teach his son a lesson about hatred at the same time, the
reports. The fan—who chooses to remain anonymous—was leaving a Capitals-Penguins game with his son Wednesday at Capital One Arena...
Post-Parkland, 3rd-Graders Selling AR-15 Raffle Tickets
Some are calling it 'tone deaf,' but coach says he thinks it's a 'positive thing'
- Candidates in Kansas and Maryland have drawn criticism for refusing to nix their AR-15 raffles after the Parkland school shooting last week. Now, another (but much younger) group is in the spotlight. The
Kansas City Star
reports members of a third-grade baseball team in Neosho, Mo., are trying to raise...
$102M in Donations, but Not a Penny From Trump Himself
Lots of rounds of golf and other giveaways, though: 'Washington Post' analysis
- Last year, Donald Trump's campaign gave the AP a 93-page list it claimed documented $102 million that he's donated to charity over the past five years. The AP didn't print the list—though it published a story deeming Trump's philanthropy "elusive"—but it's...
Guy Gets $1M Picasso for $140
US raffle winner plans to hang it on his wall
- A lucky American art fan who had been looking for something new for his wall now has a $1 million Picasso to fill the space. Jeffrey Gonano, project manager at a fire sprinkler firm, was among 50,000 people who bought $140 tickets in a raffle for the artist's...
A $1M Picasso Can Be Yours —for $135
All in the name of saving a 4.7K-year-old city
- There aren't exactly any losers in this raffle: One person will walk away with a Picasso worth $1 million for the price of a single raffle ticket. The other 49,999 hopefuls can lick their wounds with the knowledge that their $135 ticket helped save an ancient city. The...
Popular on Newser
China Pulls a 180 on Its Dog Policy
Protesters Attack Fox News Reporter
Denzel Guides Police as They Frisk Black Man
Yellowstone Is Getting Rattled
Taylor Swift Issues a Warning to Trump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.