Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
A Wrongful Conviction
Makes Headlines in China
Aug 5, 2020 3:06 PM CDT
A Wrongful Conviction Makes Headlines in China
Zhang Yuhuan's 27 years in prison make for the longest-known wrongful conviction
- China's longest-serving wrongfully convicted inmate is now a free man, some 27 years after he was imprisoned for a crime he long maintained he did not commit. Zhang Yuhuan alleged police tortured him into admitting he killed two young boys who were his neighbors in 1993, and a high...
Cops Wrongly Claimed He
Killed His Wife. Now They'll Pay
Mar 31, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Cops Wrongly Claimed He Killed His Wife. Now They'll Pay
Russell Faria, to be awarded $2M, has a suspect in mind
- A Missouri sheriff's department has reportedly reached a $2 million settlement with a man who spent three years in prison for his wife's murder before his conviction was overturned. An insurance company will cover the payment to a "thrilled" Russell Faria, according to his lawyers, one of...
Suit Could Alter a Nation
Mar 25, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Child Bride's Wrongful Conviction Suit Could Alter a Nation
Rani Bibi urging Pakistan to compensate victims of miscarriages of justice, like herself
- A child bride wrongfully convicted of killing her husband—a crime for which she spent 19 years behind bars—is suing the Pakistani authorities she says are responsible for "ruining" her youth. Rani Babi was only 14 when she was sentenced to life for the murder of her husband,...
Judge Agrees With
Star Who Sat Out
Mar 9, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
Judge Agrees With Star Who Sat Out for Justice
Court throws out 1997 convictions of Maya Moore's family friend
- Maya Moore has always been known for hitting the big shot on the grandest stage. She just got the biggest assist of her career. A judge on Monday overturned the 1997 burglary and assault convictions of Jonathon Irons, a Missouri man whose case has been championed by the WNBA star...
They Served 36 Years for
a Murder They Didn't See
Nov 26, 2019 6:21 AM CST
They Served 36 Years for a Murder They Didn't See
Prosecutors say key facts weren't presented at 1984 trial
- Three Maryland men sentenced to life in prison for murder as teenagers were exonerated Monday after serving 36 years in prison. "On behalf of the criminal justice system, and I'm sure this means very little to you gentlemen, I'm going to apologize," a Baltimore Circuit Court...
Cleared After 35 Years in
Prison, She'll Collect $3M
Aug 29, 2019 11:22 AM CDT
Cleared After 35 Years in Prison, She'll Collect $3M
Cathy Woods was the longest wrongfully incarcerated woman in the US
- A woman who spent 35 years in prison for a Nevada murder she didn't commit will get $3 million in a partial settlement of a federal civil rights lawsuit. Cathy Woods, 68, will continue to seek additional damages from the city of Reno and former detectives she accuses of...
Man Freed 17 Years After
Real Shooter Confessed
Aug 2, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Man Freed 17 Years After Real Shooter Confessed
John Miller spent 22 years in prison
- A Philadelphia man who spent more than two decades behind bars for a murder he didn't commit is a free man—17 years after another man confessed to the crime. John Miller was released Wednesday after 22 years in prison, the AP reports. Surrounded by family outside the State...
Rape Kit Leads to DNA Match
... and Devastating Mix-Up
Jul 24, 2019 2:23 PM CDT
Rape Kit Leads to DNA Match ... and Devastating Mix-Up
James Chad-Lewis Clay was convicted, but turned out to be the victim's old boyfriend
- In 2015, one of the 11,000 untested rape kits that had been discovered in a Detroit police warehouse was sent out for testing and returned a DNA match. James Chad-Lewis Clay was arrested, charged, convicted, and by 2017 had been sentenced to 25 to 50 years behind bars for...
Judge: Inmate Who Served
28 Years Didn't Commit Crime
Jul 17, 2019 3:07 AM CDT
Judge: Inmate Who Served 28 Years Didn't Commit Crime
Corey Atchison was sentenced to life in 1991
- A judge on Tuesday freed an Oklahoma inmate who has served nearly three decades in prison for a 1991 killing, saying he did not commit the crime. Corey Atchison, 48, was released Tuesday by Tulsa County District Judge Sharon Holmes, who said she believes a key prosecution witness was coerced...
Man Who Spent 12 Years
Jun 30, 2019 3:47 PM CDT
Man Who Spent 12 Years Wrongfully Imprisoned Gunned Down
Cedric Willis was freed in 2006
- Cedric Willis was wrongfully convicted of murder and armed robbery, and spent a dozen years wrongfully imprisoned in Mississippi. He was freed in 2006, with the help of the New Orleans Innocence Project and DNA evidence that exonerated him, but just 13 years later, the 44-year-old was murdered. Willis was...
Media Swarm as
Amanda Knox Returns to Italy
Jun 13, 2019 11:26 AM CDT
Media Swarm as Amanda Knox Returns to Italy
She'll speak on 'trial by media' at Saturday conference
- Amanda Knox is facing her fears . The former exchange student who was convicted, then acquitted, of killing roommate Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2007 stepped foot in that country Thursday for the first time since her release from prison eight years ago, per NBC News . The 31-year-old journalist will "...
Convicted of Murder as a Teen,
at 62 He Finally Gets Justice
May 22, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Convicted of Murder as a Teen, at 62 He Finally Gets Justice
Judge vacates Keith Bush's murder conviction
- Keith Bush was convicted of murdering a 14-year-old girl when he was 17. The New York man spent 33 years in prison before being released on lifetime parole in 2007. On Wednesday, a judge vacated the now 62-year-old Bush's conviction, acknowledging that it was tainted because prosecutors didn't...
Nebraska County Pays Huge
Price for Bungled Murder Case
Mar 6, 2019 2:54 PM CST
Nebraska County Pays Huge Price for Bungled Murder Case
SCOTUS upholds verdict that will see 'Beatrice Six' get $28M for their wrongful convictions
- The Beatrice Six are a unique case in the history of American crime , and the Supreme Court's Monday decision related to their case has left Nebraska's Gage County in a unique situation. The six went to prison for raping and killing Helen Wilson in the town of Beatrice...
Man Who Wrongly
Spent 39 Years in
Prison Gets $21M
Feb 25, 2019 3:02 AM CST
Man Who Wrongly Spent 39 Years in Prison Gets $21M
Craig Coley's attorney says no amount of money can make up for what he missed
- The city of Simi Valley, Calif., has reached a $21 million settlement with a man wrongly imprisoned for nearly 40 years in the killing of his girlfriend and her 4-year-old son, the AP reports. Craig Coley, now 71, was released in 2017 after he was pardoned by then-Gov. Jerry Brown,...
He's Serving 450 Years.
His 'Victims' Say He's Innocent
in case you missed it
Jan 13, 2019 3:00 PM CST
He's Serving 450 Years. His 'Victims' Say He's Innocent
Ricky Malee is 17 years into a sentence for crimes he insists he never committed
- If Ricky Malee had taken the plea deal, he'd be out of prison right now, having served just 10 years. Instead, he's 17 years into a 450-year sentence. But he didn't want to confess to a crime he insists he didn't commit, and so "an...
Millions in Settlements for
Wrongly Convicted 'Norfolk 4'
Dec 4, 2018 5:17 PM CST
Millions in Settlements for Wrongly Convicted 'Norfolk 4'
Former sailors were wrongly convicted of 1997 rape, murder
- The city of Norfolk has agreed to pay $4.9 million to four former sailors who were wrongly convicted of a woman's rape and murder based on intimidating police interrogations. A copy of the settlement agreement for the "Norfolk Four" was obtained by the AP . The state also...
Men Were Convicted of Killing
Their Debbie. It Was a Mistake
Nov 23, 2018 8:45 AM CST
Men Were Convicted of Killing Their Debbie. It Was a Mistake
Politico looks at the effect of a wrongful conviction on a victim's family
- When Ron Williamson and Dennis Fritz were found guilty of the 1982 rape and murder of Debbie Sue Carter, her devastated family found a small degree of solace in the idea that justice had been served. The Oklahoma 21-year-old had just moved into her first apartment when she was raped...
They Said He Killed His Lover
in 1998. They Got It Wrong
Oct 16, 2018 4:47 PM CDT
They Said He Killed His Lover in 1998. They Got It Wrong
Horace Roberts is exonerated in the death of Terry Yvette Cheek
- "It's a classic murder case, where you've got a husband, you've got a lover, and you've got a dead wife." One of those two men spent almost 20 years behind bars for the crime—and prosecutors now believe it was the wrong one. The...
'They Robbed Me
of a Career, a Life'
Oct 4, 2018 1:33 AM CDT
'They Robbed Me of a Career, a Life'
Wrongfully convicted of murder, Larry McKee faces difficult adjustment to freedom
- "They robbed me of a career, a life." Those are the words of Larry McKee, a New York man who was released from prison earlier this year after spending two decades behind bars for a murder he maintained he didn't commit. The
New York Times
Man Who Never Golfed Freed
From Prison Thanks to Game
Sep 20, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
Man Who Never Golfed Freed From Prison Thanks to Game
Valentino Dixon's murder conviction is vacated after 27 years
- A New York inmate who has never golfed a game in his life is now a free man, with his innocence restored to him thanks to the game.
has the incredible conclusion to the story of Valentino Dixon, a 48-year-old who caught the magazine's attention six years...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.