Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
This Scaly Creature Implicated in Virus Spread
But don't be too quick to blame pangolins just yet
- A scaly anteater known as the pangolin is suddenly getting a lot of attention as scientists around the world try to figure out how the coronavirus jumped to humans. The takeaway from coverage seems to boil down to this: The animals do carry coronaviruses similar to the one responsible for...
Officials Nab 9 Tons of Pangolin Scales
Hong Kong officials have already arrested 2 people
- A shipping container seized in Hong Kong this month was full of animal parts, but they definitely didn't come from a cow as declared. Authorities there have arrested a man and a woman from a trading company after discovering more than 1,000 elephant tusks and 9 tons of...
$100K Project Uses 3-Foot Rats to Sniff Out Crime
It's not the first time their noses have been put to use
- Giant African pouched rats that grow to three feet long can't see well, but their keen sense of smell has already made them indispensable in the hunt for anything from tuberculosis in humans to buried TNT in former war zones (they've already found 1,500 land mines in...
We're Eating 'Scaly Anteaters' Into Extinction
Some think their scales have medicinal qualities
- Pangolins, also known as scaly anteaters, are the only known mammals in the world to sport scales. But people are eating them and using their scales for their perceived medicinal value, and now all eight pangolin species are nearing extinction. Just a few days ago, officials in Vietnam found 1....
Popular on Newser
Ken Jennings Blasted for Tweet He Chose Not to Delete
Doctor Has 'Chilling' Warning in Viral COVID Video
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
SCOTUS Sides With Religious Groups Over COVID Restrictions
DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.